Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Olympic torch relay – who's going to see?
  • ourmaninthenorth

Out on the road bike following a local loop last night and I noticed signs indicating one of the roads is earmarked for the Olympic torch relay.

So, I thought I’d take Baby Nord in her bike trailer to see.

Anyone else going to see it?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s going past the top of my road. I doubt I’ll bother.

I am however looking forward to the day after the opening ceremony.

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, i reckon so. june 24th it comes north out of Bradford to Skipton, then comes back to Leeds via Ilkley & Guiseley. Quite a few chances to see it on that route

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s going through our village, and the local hotel is doing a mini Olympics for the kids to coincide, so I’ll probably take mine along. But only because there’s a BBQ as well.

ourmaninthenorth

But only because there’s a BBQ as well.

Quite right. Priorities, innit.

alfabus
    Free Member

i might not have a choice… the torch route runs along the only* road I can get home by. Expected time is 17:30, with anticipated road closures and disruption for 2 hours either side of that.

* without massive detour

finbar
    Free Member

I will, i’m genuinely quite excited about it. I love the idea of the Olympic flame.

(Although, i just looked on Wikipedia, and apparently the torch relay is a Nazi invention 😯 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Flame )

kelvin

You’re surprised that such a faux classical spectacle was invented by the Nazis?!?

Junkyard
    Free Member

doubt it 7:20 am within 200 metres of my house on a school day .probably not bother tbh

finbar
    Free Member

You’re surprised that such a faux classical spectacle was invented by the Nazis?!?

Well, yes and no. They really were great at propaganda weren’t they?

Sorry – this might be some sort of record for Godwin’s law. 😳

ourmaninthenorth

apparently the torch relay is a Nazi invention

This is true, but it’s been subverted for “good” (or at least the bank accounts of IOC members…).

Trimix
    Free Member

Im really suprised by the fuss and attraction of the damm thing. I wouldnt even bother to see it if it went past my door. What are you going to see exactly ?

I reckon you should just stage your own instead.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Quite right. Priorities, innit.

Absolutely. If I’m going to spend my afternoon getting jostled and having my house filled with sponsors tat that my kids collect, then there’s got to be something in it for me.

greeble
    Free Member

Although, i just looked on Wikipedia, and apparently the torch relay is a Nazi invention

vw beetle
    the space program (90% were ex nazi scientists)

the list goes on.

kelvin

Do the torch bearers have to wear McDonalds uniform?

spacemonkey

Yep. Passing through my town too we’ll be there.

vegman
    Free Member

it is going right past the end of my road…. trouble is it is in a van!! Looks like the best way to get to see it is to go to our local BMW garage and pretend to want to buy a car…. you get to even touch it then!
    Think I’ll give it a miss.

Bunnyhop

We’re taking the tandem over to Stockport and hoping to get a glimpse, parking or driving would be a nightmare.

boltonjon

I’m of to see a good old friend running the torch in Hereford next week

She’s from Reddich

Worst still, a girl from Hereford is running with the torch in Reddich

Good old British ineptitude when organising things!!

Drac

Stopping in our town, there’s a festival on the full week it’s on and we’ve got tickets for the event they’re holding the night it arrives. It’s something to see and quite like the idea although the Olympics doesn’t bother me but it never does in any other country either.

Our town is trying to make the most of it to pull in tourists which is good for the area.

I once carried the commonwealth torch when it was held in Edinburgh running about a mile with it.

stever
    Free Member

My 82yo mate is doing a stretch in Macclesfield, 30 miles away. It passses quite close to his house…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It’s passing very close to our house, so yes I think we’ll watch it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup, its doing a mini Derby tour in a Friday night, with a bit of a show etc being put on at darley park so yes, me and the tribe will be there!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Like Drac, there’s a thing in Brizzle next Tuesday evening when it stops overnight. Something came up in twitter so I applied for and got four tickets to it. Probably wouldn’t have gone otherwise but a free concert should see me get into the spirit a but more. 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

Whats the point of it anyways??

I am sure those chosen to run with it feel proud of the fact .. but i really dont get the whole fuss.

80% of the olympic events i wouldnt waste my time watching – so to watch some nobody carrying the torch ..
    Total waste of time me thinks.

restless
    Free Member

Yes I got tickets today for the show at the ice arena where Torvil and Dean will do a little dance with the flame when it arrives .

We are in Nottingham.

project
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

I once carried the commonwealth torch when it was held in Edinburgh running about a mile with it.

Till the Moderators caught you and made you give it back presumabbly.

Will be in Wirrral coming through the tunnel and back out on the ferry, if nobody nicks it .

Also chester are have ing a fre party on the roodee, that was never advertised with tickets available, that have now all gone, and no umberellas are allowed , pity if it rains.

flatfish
    Free Member

Passing within a mile of my house.
    I probably wouldn’t bother but the wife will twine.
    Just remember kids “A happy wife is a happy life” 🙄

mrmo
    Free Member

got to try and figure out how to avoid it as it is going to **** getting home from work next Wednesday. I pass Cheltenham Racecourse every day and apparently they are shutting the roads for a couple of hours minimum at evening rush hour time!!

Dibbs
    Free Member

It appears to be coming through our village on Monday on it’s way from Minehead to Taunton, I’ll be out of the way at work.

trail_rat
    Free Member

quite glad im stateside when it comes through my village at 4.30 pm

oh and who ever decided it should pass through the haudagain at 8am needs to be shot , hung drawn and quartered …..

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Uh no. PITA really. It’s going right past the end of the road my college’s on on the day of an exam. Otherwise, doesn’t really effect me.

MartynS

yep, Liverpool on the 1st.

I don’t have a choice though.. I’m working.

Should be good though

brokensoul
    Free Member

yeah, i reckon so. june 24th it comes north out of Bradford to Skipton, then comes back to Leeds via Ilkley & Guiseley. Quite a few chances to see it on that route

It’s coming down Huddersfield Road out of Barnsley the day after, John.
    I’ll be going to see it in Ackworth or Wakefield city centre on the 25th.

tandemwarriors

Yep, eldest daughter is carrying it around Inverness, so we’ll be up there to watch her. It’ll be passing through Ft William on the weekend of the DH world cup.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Didn’t Beckham blow it out as he made a wish?

Ambrose

Bah Humbug the lot of you. Stop whining- you can’t change it, so make the most of it. I’m really, really excited about the whole thing. I’m going to see it twice, in Swansea one day and Burry Port, where I work on the next day.

I’ll be cheering as the bearers go past, especially Youseff Al-Nakashli, a student whom I have taught for the past five years. And Hope Russell, who left my school last year. And Dave Buchanan, who cycled Wales, off-road, end to end and back again in two days, and Mr Clarricotes who has devoted so much of his spare time to helping local youngsters.

It is a once in a lifetime event. It has been decided upon and organised. You might be inconvenienced for a relatively short time but hey ho, so what? Will your life be harmed in any significant way. Will your wages be docked? Will your boss/ friends/ family think worse of you if there is a delay in your schedule due to an internationally recognised organisation passing close-by?

And you are complaining? Despite having prior notice?

Come on folks, get a grip. Stop being so STW cynical. Life is for having fun, let’s do it!

boltonjon

Ambrose – spot on

The people chosen have done something special to deserve the honour

I have no interest in the Olympics, but i’m all up for people being recognised for doing something special in the everyday, grass roots level of sport

I’ll be super proud when i see my mate Looby Lou running a couple of hundred yards as recognition for her good work in the world of field hockey

Ambrose

Jon- thanks. And Looby Lou- GO YOU!!!

aracer
    Free Member

Not really sure I see what’s so exciting about it, but will be out with the kids as it comes to within 3/4 of a mile of here and 300m from the local school, and I’m sure they’ll be excited.

The only irritating thing is that at 300m from the school it’s heading towards the school on the road the school is on, but for some unknown reason they have to get in a van at that point to go somewhere else rather than carry on for a couple of minutes more, which would make logistics far simpler for most people who are likely to be going out to watch it here (I’d expect that the vast majority will be either kids at the school or their parents). It’s not even as if there’s anything very special in the first 300m of the route here, apart from a petrol station. But somebody clearly knows far better than me where most people would like to watch it from.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Olympic torch relay – who's going to see?’ is closed to new replies.