Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Olympic MTB
  • Solo
    Free Member

The Olympic MTB course thread has got me thinking.

What will riders use for the Olympics.

29″ or 26″ ?.

Stoner
    Free Member

due its “demanding terrain” Id expect they’ll be using 700c 😉

Solo
    Free Member

HHmmm.

That reminds me.

I think I have quite possibly the worst handle bars on my road bike, in the istory of man kind.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

The boring answer is, probably, what they are on now/riding in the world cups. Expect they will be one or two swaps from big to small/small to big but most will just ride what they are used to. Much better to ride a bike that’s familiar to you then change last minute hoping to find a small advantage.

I think it’s safe to say that it’s the best rider(s) on the day will win regardless of wheel size.

A pretty boring answer I know!

As to which wheel size suits the course best that’s a different matter but again I suspect there’s little in it really.

Klunk
    Free Member

Absalon would win riding a bmx, its the rider not the bike.

njee20
    Free Member

There will be 26″, 29er and 650b. As always.

Absalon would win riding a bmx, its the rider not the bike.

I’m not so sure, Schurter is a better descender, he may edge it I reckon.

Solo
    Free Member

Absalon would win riding a bmx, its the rider not the bike

Not according to the marketing men… well, those pushing bikes.
    😉

There will be 26″, 29er and 650b.
    All in the same race ?.
    Genuine Q.
    I’ve no idea how the event will be segmented / categorized.

Solo
    Free Member

Cows in Cars.

Thats a great post.

😀

julianwilson
    Free Member

All in the same race ?

yep. Nice that world cup/olympic level mountain biking as not gone the same way with regards tiny rules about bikes as track and road cycling. You do have to have working front and rear brakes and bar plugs fitted though. 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, you can ride a 24″ rigid SS if you wanted! Or a Giant Glory! Suspect there’ll be a full suite, although I suspect 29er hardtails to dominate.

crazy-legs

At the test event, the majority of guys were on 26″, probably 2/3rds or 3/4s of the field. I was surprised by the number of full sus as well.

What was more surprising (to me) was the number of women on 29″, must have been at least half the field. More hardtails in the women’s race as well, very few full sus.

timmys

What about gearing? I’m sure I read the winner of the test event used 1×10 – how common was that among the rest of the field out of interest?

juan
    Free Member

I’m not so sure, Schurter is a better descender, he may edge it I reckon.

FFS are you going to stop agreeing with me.
    Nino will be using his 27.5 specially made for the olympic for scott. As I suspect this bike will be a bit more on the AM side with a slightly more open head angle.

Solo
    Free Member

I was surprised by the number of full sus as well

Good point.

Whatever happens, seems like there will be a range of bikes ridden by, what are hopefully, some of the best riders in the world.

Looking forward to it.

njee20
    Free Member

What about gearing? I’m sure I read the winner of the test event used 1×10 – how common was that among the rest of the field out of interest?

Apparently doubles were quite prevalent at the test event, although yes Absalon was on 1×10:

Nino will be using his 27.5 specially made for the olympic for scott. As I suspect this bike will be a bit more on the AM side with a slightly more open head angle.

Agreed, hadn’t really thought of the relaxed head angle with 650b wheels, but I suspect you’re spot on.

juan
    Free Member

Well if you look at the bike and how he manages to cut down the couple of first switchback you can see how it happens 😉
    However it could just be that scott in general are giving their bikes more “weeeeee” factor.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Stoner – genuine question, have you ridden or seen the course?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Olympic MTB’ is closed to new replies.