Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Olympic beer to cost £7.23 a pint
  • PlopNofear
    Free Member

Wow. Seems like the UK economy is going to be rolling in the money after the Olympics after charging that much for food and drinks. And £8 for some fish and chips. Article can be read here

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well it is a Southern Olympics… got to keep it exclusive.

Wouldn’t want any of the unwashed hoards desecending from beyond the Watford Gap, would we now, what what?

IHN

Spectators will pay £2.10 for a toasted teacake, £2.30 for a 500ml bottle of Coca-Cola and £2 for a cup of tea

See, now, that’s not ridiculous for that kind of event. The beer does look steep though.

It shall cost significantly less at my Olympic venue, and there’ll be big comfy leather seats 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

See this is why people are selling their olympic torches to pay for their tickets, and the food and drink they will eat on the day.

All this while some fat cat gets fatter.

Wozza
    Free Member

A 330ml bottle of Heineken lager at the Games will cost £4.20, making the equivalent price of a pint £7.23.

I’m not “pro Olympics” but to be fair mate, some places in Manchester will charge you that for a 330 Heiney. It seems slightly more expensive than sporting events but it’s not surprising.

If you want to see inflated prices go to Glastonbury.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yay! Another moan abuot the Olympics thread! Just what we need……

That said, Wozza – Agreed!

binners

If I ever find myself at any large sporting (or musical) event, it’s best to dispense with any illusions and deal with the reality of the situation

Simply stroll forcefully to the bar and say “I’d like a plastic beaker of warm piss please, my good man”. On taking delivery of said object I will offer as payment either the keys to my car, or my first born

ocrider

The beer is highly priced because its (IMO) Heineken up to their old tricks again
    Price fixing

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀 @ Binners!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I just refuse to pay for such nonsense. I’d rather drink my own urine than pay £7 a pint because some idiot decided prices at events have to be notably higher than at any other location.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If you want to see inflated prices go to Glastonbury.

Really? That doesn’t match my experience at all. There’s a lot of reasonably priced food at Glasto (and good quality food) and a lot of competition. Likewise beer which I’d agree were no more than London pub prices – probably about £4 a pint (which are now little different to the rest of the country in my experience). Again, cheaper than other festivals and cheaper than gig venues.

coffeeking
    Free Member

probably about £4 a pint (which are now little different to the rest of the country in my experience).

I rarely pay more than £3 a pint, usually closer to 2.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

At glasto you can take your own.

The olympics will take it off you.

maccruiskeen

I’m outraged at the price of something I’m not going to buy at an event I’m not going to attend! I’m going to write to someone else’s MP about it 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

It shall cost significantly less at my Olympic venue, and there’ll be big comfy leather seats

Don’t forget the ques.

😉

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I rarely pay more than £3 a pint, usually closer to 2.

and you can get beer for that in London easily enough (Sam Smiths or Youngs pubs usually very reasonable) but you can easily pay much more than that outside the M25 now.

rocketman
    Free Member

The Olympic beer won’t be costing me £7.23/pint because I won’t be buying any of it

Wozza
    Free Member

I should probably add that my memory of Glastonbury is a little “sketchy” at best. 😀

brakes
    Free Member

We believe that our prices are more than comparable to those found at other major sporting events, which because of their temporary nature are often more expensive than the high street

horseshit – shouldn’t that make them cheaper?

hopefully the high venue prices will tempt Olympics visitors into London’s fine hostelries to sample the fine beers and delights contained therein

I_Ache
    Free Member

Have the people that set the prices at these places not heard of Price Elasticity? I’m sure they would sell loads more if they dropped the price.

If the coke was £1.50 a bottle I would probably buy a couple and not get dehydrated in the (potential) baking heat. But at £2.30 a bottle I would begrudge buying more than one and risk being dehydrated or worse.

portlyone

Water is free though, and you can take your own food (according to Metro)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I went into our local last friday, saw they had just got Peroni on tap. Hot day so thought yeah i’ll have some. Spat it out when I found out it was £4.50 Which I thought was mega bucks.

At events I expect to pay around £2 if I want a coke. Never thought of beer really.

binners

Haven’t they got snipers on the roof of all the Olympic venues, to take out anyone eating or drinking something not supplied by one of the official ‘Partners’?

konabunny
    Free Member

horseshit – shouldn’t that make them cheaper?

Not really – the fit out and license fees are fixed costs, for example, even if labour and inventory are variable.

Coyote
    Free Member

I believe you are right binners.

Houns

Just what the organisers want, loads of pissed up people in the crowds

binners

You’d have to be pretty wadded to get leathered on Heineken at £7 a pint. Or a proper lightweight? Mind you, it is darn sarf. So probably a combination of the two 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Coca-Cola is a lot more expensive in a Vue Cinema than the Olympic price.

The “value” of a product or service is based on what the seller can get away with. It has little to do with true cost.

D0NK

Coca-Cola is a lot more expensive in a Vue Cinema than the Olympic price.

you can take your own picnic into a Vue cinema tho 🙂

<edit>I’ve got less issues with overcharging badly organised people at events ie if you can bring your own but you don’t then we’ll charge you “convenience tax” on top. If your own stuff is outlawed spanking you on the price (£4.20 a pint is steep, £4.20 for a 330ml can is ripping the piss) it’s a bit of a cheek.

mikey74
    Free Member

Olympic beer to cost £7.23 a pint

Misleading headline, as usual: Beer will NOT cost £7.23/pint, as they won’t be selling it in pints, they’ll be selling it in bottles @ £4.20/bottle. Bottle have always been more expensive than pints (around here they have, anyway) and £4.20 is not particularly outlandish for London prices.

Yes, it is stupidly expensive, but so is alcohol in general these days. Go to most concert venues in London and you’ll pay £4.50/can (albeit a 440-500ml can) so for an event like the ‘lympics I am not surprised at all.

£8 for fish and chips, the blandest national dish in the world, is a complete rip-off though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Which is precisely what I do D0NK 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The olympics keeps reminding me of that episode of The Simpsons when the movie company came to town to film Radioactive Man.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Those prices are not representative of London, we all know you can have a drink for far less than that.

hora
    Free Member
    sootyandjim
    Free Member

It seems slightly more expensive than sporting events but it’s not surprising.

Slightly more!

I went to Trent Bridge to watch the test cricket on Sunday. A pint of beer (proper beer, not fizzy training water) was between £3.10 and £3.40 a pint.

Perhaps beer is being priced high at the Olympics because they actually don’t want people to get leathered. Serve beer, because then it brings in a sponsor, but keep the prices high and you don’t have to spend so much policing the numpties who can’t handle their beer.

hora
    Free Member

Its a sporting event. Eat at the McDonalds, drink your beer, give your toddler his Coca Cola then go and watch people who stay healthy and compete/keep fit….after all the message of the Games isn’t sell junk food now is it…

bikebouy
    Free Member

When I was there the other week all I could see was John Lewis Dept Store (it’s rather mahhhhooosive) Didn’t see any McD/CC stands anywhere, but then I didn’t get into the event that was on, just riding around the site.

Oh and I saw that “sculpture”

portlyone

Spectators will be allowed to take their own food to the Games but must carry it in soft bags rather than cool boxes. Visitors will be banned from bringing their own alcohol to the venues.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9301233/Olympic-beer-to-cost-7.23-a-pint.html

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Visitors will be banned from bringing their own alcohol to the venues.

Of course a bottle of juice/mixer with spirits poured in them would look much like other bottles of juice/mixer without spirits in them in a cool bag.

Cougar

I’ve been to venues before now where they’ve only allowed you to take in unopened soft drinks, for just this reason.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Olympic beer to cost £7.23 a pint’ is closed to new replies.