Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Old vinyl
  • scotroutes

Keep, chuck, sell?

100+ albums, 20-30 EPs, 150-ish singles. Not catalogued. Condition variable. Nothing to play them on. I don’t think there are any fantastically rare records in there (a few Beatles at maybe £5 each) and I’m not goint to the effort of checking them all.

camo16
    Free Member

[Kirstie Allsopp voice]

Melted vinyl records make great retro bowls.

[/Kirstie Allsopp voice]

RustySpanner

Play ’em.

Each scratch a memory, innit?

Lots of nice decks out there for not much money.
    Rega are nice.

CountZero

Worth checking around to see if there’s a shop who’ll take them. We have one here in Chippenham who does a pretty good business in second-hand vinyl, has racks of it.
    You may not get much, but something’s better than nowt. 😀

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

With the rise in “retro” shops in the Northants area, I’d be looking for one of those shops to take them.

freddyg
    Free Member

camo16 – Member
    [Kirstie Allsopp voice]

Melted vinyl records make great retro bowls.

[/Kirstie Allsopp voice]

My Mum did this to my Dads entire record collection of vinyl from the 50s and 60s. All mint condition. All tirned into plant pots for a school fete.

It was the only time I ever saw them have a real screaming match. 🙁

footstomper
    Free Member

Always check what is in your collection and spend a little time on the internet checking if any of them are collectable, there are some very pricey vinyl records out there.
    In the music of my choice Northern Soul a rare record goes for thousands in fact one in particular (Frank Wilsons Do I Love You ‘indeed I do’ )last sold for around £20,000 😯

zokes
    Free Member

It was the only time I ever saw them have a real screaming match.

If MrsZ did that to mine, a divorce would be the least of her worries

Ed2001
    Free Member

Dont just chuck them or sell them to a shop first find out their value. I ebayed mine about 2 years ago and made just over £2000.I used discogs to find out their value and then put them on eBay.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I gave away all my old vinyl to Oxfam when I bought a CD player.

Later, I saw some of them on sale in the window – £20 for a New Order, £30 for an Elvis Costello and so on.

Sell. Sell. Sell.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My dad sets the national guide prices for vinyl in Oxfam 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

It was the only time I ever saw them have a real screaming match.

Aye no one can touch mine except me.
    Even the kids know the guitar will get you shouted at and the records will get you in deep deep trouble

I suspect they will hold their value for some time but if you dont want them sell them [ and hang your head in shame]

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

then sell ’em!*
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >* No – I don’t mean it.

debaser

Keep or sell, but don’t chuck them.

Records are always great – with the notable exception of when you are moving house. I always curse my vinyl collection whenever that happens.

EDIT – Just noticed that you don’t have anything to play them on. If you’re not planning on buying a new record player, then you may aswell sell or donate them to charity.

Melted vinyl records

As a toddler, I carefully placed a dozen or so of my dads 7 inch singles along the top of the fire guard and watched them melt. I am honestly surprised that I am still here to tell the tale.

thomthumb
    Free Member

oxfam are desperate atm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Old vinyl’ is closed to new replies.