Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Old Steel Road Bike
  • luigi_t8
    Free Member

I am looking to buy a cheap old road bike (preferably steel), something no-one would give a second look at. I am looking for it as a commuting bike in Cambridge as anything that doesn’t look old and worthless will get stolen or trashed. Where would people suggest is the best place to pick up something like this, i have been looking on pinkbike and ebay without much luck; i had thought maybe that something like a police auction may be a good place? although then again if it’s already been stolen once there’s a good chance it will get stolen again. The other thing to mention is that I am 6’1″ so it need to be around 59 – 61 cm

thanks, LT

midlifecrashes

If you stick an ad in the Wanted section over there>>>>>>

then someone like me might pipe up and tell you about an 80s/90s Raleigh they used to have on the turbotrainer that they haven’t decided how much to ask for. Something like this. Where you are might be important if postage isn’t going to eat lots of your budget.

neilm
    Free Member

Are there any bike recycling places near you? They will have a variety of bitsabikes. Let a little rust accumulate plus maybe the judicious applications of some insulation tape and you should have something that is easily overlooked.

Also take a look at LFGSS, there are usually one or two suitable candidates there.

As for size; I’m 6’1″ with a 34″ inside leg, as is my son, and we both ride 56 frames.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Hang around the local supermarket, when you see some lanky old boy rock up on a shonky but quality old Pegeuot or Raleigh, say you’ll give him £50 for it. It’d work round here no probs. Dunno about Cambridge.

luigi_t8
    Free Member

Ok, i’ll put something up in wanted. As for bike recycling places I really don’t know, I am quite new to the area (northampton) but I am moving again to cambridge next year hence why i need the bike. I get away with using an old specialized hardrock here but that would be knicked before I got it anywhere near cambridge.

neilm – I have disproportionately long legs, I am 6’1″ but my inside leg is 37″ (95 cm) hence why I need a bigger frame. I am pretty sure my road bike is a 59 so thats probably what I’m looking for.

simon1975

Have you looked on Gumtree?

boblo
    Free Member

Footflaps on here is a Cambridge inmate, he may have some pointers for you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Old Steel Road Bike’ is closed to new replies.