Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • old skool Cannondale F2000 SX
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

have come to stey with the inlaws in wales, i brought my bike so he invited me to put it in his shed, he is into his bikes but always been more of a road cyclist, anyway i had a nosey through his modest collection and in there is an imaculate yr 2000 Cannondale F2000 SX. im in love with it – would love to take it home and re-spec it with modern kit, keep the lefty of course but add some fresh wheels, bars, cranks, drivetrain, gears and brakes it would but be a frickin amazing little retro toy to play with. just got to talk him into it, its not been ridden in 10 yrs!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nooooo! No modern kit on that!

Needs some SRAM Betsy.

🙂

Garry_Lager

Think I had the model below that – great bike although the CAAD frame that came after it was really the daddy. I liked the lefty from those days too, although I know others who felt it took them a couple of iterations to get right.
    You’d have to do something with the brakes if they are those coda things – early-ish caliper design that was truly terrible.

footflaps

Great frames, had one in black – was superb until it got stolen…

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

yes, fully Coda’d up. that will have to go. id probably spend money on my spesh enduro and put the old parts on the f2000, with a few shiny new bits!… if he lets me have it!

slimjim78
    Free Member

would love to take it home and re-spec it with modern kit

why?! whats wrong with the bits on it?

add some fresh wheels, bars, cranks, drivetrain, gears and brakes it would but be a frickin amazing little retro toy to play with

No, it would no longer be a retro toy, rather a retro/hybrid integrity-less mash-up

can you tell I like retro?
    I dont like change..

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

looking at it again this am after reading up last night, its got little of the original spec on anyway, but the upgrades are a decade old – plus, i wanna ride it, so i want all my favourite shiz on it.

tommygunadam
    Free Member

This may be useful http://www.vintagecannondale.com/ . Own a lowly 2002 F400 myself. Great bike still going strong

vinnyeh

I bought a secondhand one of those to replace a stolen F700SX, with the same stars’n’stripes paint scheme. NIce bike, frame is goodly tough. Fork was good for it’s day, mine had been upgraded to a (non-functioning) ELO, but rather surprisingly still had the original brakes. If you upgrade them, don’t sell them- you wouldn’t want to be responsible for someone else’s death, would you? Coda brakes were legendary.

Think I sold it for about £250.

mboy
    Free Member

Nooooo! No modern kit on that!

Needs some SRAM Betsy.

Nah, just stick with the XT/XTR that’s on it. By 2000, XT and XTR kit (9spd by this point) was highly capable stuff, and not a huge amount has moved on since tbh. Until last year, I was riding M952 XTR shifters and mechs on both my bikes and it was great!

Those CODA cranks were quite flexy iirc. Worth replacing with something stiffer if you actually plan on riding it much, but if not then just keep em on for retro coolness.

The CODA brakes weren’t that good for disc brakes even back then. Definitely replace with something better IMO.

Those Lefty DLR100’s actually worked really well once they’d bedded in properly, problem was they could take forever to bed in. Also slightly susceptible to water ingress making them feel gritty in use, but solved by packing the bearing surfaces full of grease iirc.

Surprised by the full CODA hubs and rims on that bike. Not all that good to be honest. Definitely worth upgrading with something better if you’re going to ride the bike much. Plenty of aftermarket lefty hubs available now so not difficult to sort some decent wheels out, though I’d go all black and low key still myself keeping the bike looking as original as possible.

As for contact points, well the bars will be 25.4 no doubt, and you’ll struggle to find many decent bars in that size these days. Besides the Easton EA70’s it came with were actually very good bars anyway, and probably 685mm wide. I’d whip that suspension post off and put a Thomson on myself, and a saddle that suited my arse.

It’s odd just how capable some “retro” bikes still are today when upgraded only slightly (in this case, new brakes will be the biggest difference), and how much other bikes have dated. Most other race style hardtails of the time would have had 63mm SID’s on and V brakes and very little mud clearance, whereas Cannondales always had decent mud clearance and that 100mm fork which was long travel for the time means its still fairly contemporary even now.

ratherbeintobago

It will be surprisingly capable – I bet there’s not a huge difference between what that’ll do and my ten-years-younger F1.

Wouldn’t it be better to keep it ‘period’ (apart from the tyres, maybe)?

Andy

exiger
    Free Member

I have an F2000SX in my lock up, also unused for the last 11years and in mint condition.

If anyone is interrested in it drop me a PM.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I have one exactly the same as that, bought on Ebay about 4 years ago for about £250, it was a bargain. Still ride it loads, it is a top bike. I also have the road-bike version (CAAD8) which has exactly the same livery (a bit sad eh…..). It parks in the workshop alongside a couple of Scalpels, a Synapse, an F2000SL and a few Oranges and Santa Cruz.

A bit of a hoarder!!

C

mboy
    Free Member

I have an F2000SX in my lock up, also unused for the last 11years and in mint condition.

Size?

How much?

slimjim78
    Free Member

very interested if size large. Can’t PM you as you appear to have no email address in your profile

exiger
    Free Member

I think the size is a medium, I’m about 5’8.

Price wise…. My brother saw one in a LBS a couple of years ago at £800

So how does £500 sound, it really is very good condition.

Only thing it needs is a brake bleed and prob a new set of pads wouldn’t go a miss.

Email in profile now.

campfreddie
    Free Member

the caad5 frame is the absolute dogs danglies… i have one and i know two other people that have them… we will never sell them… super stiff, super light and super fast.

mine has been rebuilt about 5 times in different guises (currently a fully-rigid drop-bar 1×9 monster crosser) and i’ve had the drop-outs remetalled to get them back as new.

if you see one, buy one!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘old skool Cannondale F2000 SX’ is closed to new replies.