Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Old School Skateboarders – I've made a small film. (49 fingers)
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

We used to skateboard a lot back in the day (80’s-90’s) and recently i came across some old footage of us skating. I tried to contact everyone to talk about it on camera then skate now that we’re in our mid 40’s. Here is the short version of the results, theres a longer version which is also uploading at the moment.

Thanks for watching

palmer77
    Free Member

Nice mate, really enjoyed that 🙂

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Palmer77, coincidence that your name is actually the same as mine!!!

Cheers for watching – spread it around if you would???

DezB
    Free Member

Very nice 🙂

EddieFiola
    Free Member

heres the longer version for those who maybe interested

thanks

Please comment

noltae
    Free Member

I remember watching a trademark all yellow Eddie Fiola ride at the Kellogs series – Mike Dominguez was there too – also Bob Haro and Harry Leary – Tommy “machine gun” brackens snapped a pair of profile cranks off the starting gate !!

kayak23

That was bloody brilliant. Really enjoyed that. Struck a chord with me and I recognised many of the spots from doing the same at that time. 43 now 😐

Out in the back road

Rom. I’d always get taken there for my birthday. My mum would sit patiently in the car all day while me and my mates skated. 🙂

Still got a couple of boards but not used them in a long time now.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I loved that.

I’ve never been a skater but it somehow reminded me of my youth. For me it was bikes but the same feelings, same ideas.

Good job Eddie

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Thanks for commenting folks.
    Its taken me an age to make that and I’m not a film maker. So that means a lot.
    I hoped it would strike a chord as there must be hundreds of little groups who skated in England in the 80’s like us. I just wanted to try and document it.
    There is a longer one if you’re desperate to watch more nostalgia!!!

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Absolutely awesome!! The mind can still do the tricks, the rest however……..

yunki
    Free Member

Cheers for that!!

My skating career ended pretty early when I tried a drop to flat off the youth club roof on one of these in 1983

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I enjoyed that. Nice to see Knebworth park and Bowes Lyon featuring, that’s where I used to go and bleed as a kid.

growinglad
    Free Member

Really good effort, great film.

Just ordered a longboard today, looking forward to getting back on a board after many many years away.

orangespyderman

It’s brilliant.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Who’s missing a finger?

curtisthecat
    Free Member

That was really great! Properly struck a chord and strangely made me feel really emotional remembering what was going on in my life at the time. I often think about getting a board again but my wife reckons I’ll look like a paedophile hanging around skate spots. I remember how proud I was when I finally saved enough money for my board…Santa Cruz Rob Roskopp replica with Independent 169 trucks and OJ 2 wheels.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Great film Eddie. Reminded me of trying to learn how to skate in Ulverston on my Cory O’Brien (badly I might add, I didn’t last long)

Still have a R.A.D. photo issue special from about 1989 if anyone is interested in a nostalgia trip 😛

oafishb
    Free Member

Great video 🙂

Well played – that caught a lot of the spirit. I skated 87-90 then 96 to 99.
    I’m still not sure why my mum allowed me out into town for hours to skate the kerbs at the Town Council building when I was 11, but there we go. I had a Schmitt Stix Chris Miller with OJs and red Gullwings, later followed by the ubiquitous Powell Tommy Guerrero and, my favourite – the SMA Jim Thiebaud with the ‘batman’ graphics! (it was the Batman era)

Happy days. Thanks for sharing that.

RobHilton
    Free Member

That is fabulous! Well worth the effort of making.

kudos100
    Free Member

Cracking little doc. I spent some of the best days of my life skating curbs and little ramps as a teenager.

Now broken and knackered at 35 🙁

scruff
    Free Member

Me and a few friends (mid 40s) have been riding again more, good local concrete parks seem to be bringing people out again.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Who’s missing a finger?

Chaz was missing a finger, he had an accident at work.

If anyone has means of sharing that video to a wider audience it would be much appreciated .

Thanks for the comment

GregMay
    Free Member

Ace, really enjoyed that. Storytelling at its best.

Speak to the folks at KMF – would possibly slot in somewhere, and being a Kendal event it might be a nice piece for them!

singlespeedstu

Brilliant that cheers for posting it up.
    Proper captured the era.

qwerty
    Free Member

Excellent.

palmer77
    Free Member

Perhaps even Banff Film Festival, it’s got a great peoples favourite feel about it 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Some good skills on display!

Loved skating as a kid, was the only thing I’ve ever been good at!

CheesybeanZ

Cracking video , I had a cheapy Vulcan jobbie in the 70s. Living in a small village with a one horse town 8 miles away boarding never really got going for me – plus I was truly crap 😀

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

Very well done video and reminded me of the good times skating in rural worcestershire with my best mates.

I still have a skateboard in the loft and when/if I ever have a garden to call my own I have always intended to build a mini ramp.

I still love seeing a waxy curb or nice set of steps in a town centre.

butcher

Yep, good video. Good feeling. Having grew up skating in a small town myself, I can definitely relate. Even one of the guys I used to skate with is missing a finger too! Really strikes a chord though the thing about doing it with mates. Life changes as we grow older and we build our own cocoons. But those were definitely the best times, skating with mates.

bob_summers

Eddie, just clicked on the vid out of curiosity and wow, that guy looks like Chaz but older… bloody hell it *is* Chaz! Haven’t seen him since mid 90s when we were playing punk gigs around Kendal. We used to skate in Barrow and that big ramp on Walney, have probably crossed paths at some point. Fantastic video, haven’t watched properly yet as I’m working, but will definitely pass it around some of the old heads I am still in touch with. Thanks for sharing it, IMO it pisses all over Dog Town 😉

Trailofdestruction, do we know each other? I packed in skating when I got into motorbikes early 90s but we must’ve overlapped. Have started again several times since but always ends in a bad sprain…

Here’s me, late 80s, school carpark and a flyoff my dad made. That’s a Caballero mini with 70mm Kryptonics which I was still using fairly recently until the latest injury

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Absolutely brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed. Great film

nim

Absolutely loved that! Well done!

I was rubbish at skating but was more into BMX, slightly less rubbish at that.
    Your film brought back a load of memories from my BMX days. I love that at 2min35s there’s an image of one of you on a Rickman Freestyler which I also had and still miss.

Looking forward to watching the longer version.

Great work squire!

2tyred

Brilliant, absolutely loved that. Nice work!

eazyd74
    Free Member

Great film that. Felt my eyes welling up. Those were good times.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Great. Loved my skate boarding so brings back good memories…top work OP.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Loved that fella, used to do similar with my mates in York. Great times going to Redcar, Warrington, Barrow, etc… I was always useless, but I could pretend to be Natas!

cat69uk
    Free Member

Eddie, I tweeted the vid to Sidewalk Mag and they have tweeted this morning, should see lots more people watching.

Digby

Enjoyed that! 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

bob_summers

also shared it around some of the old crew who’ll remember Chaz, if they’re not still in touch. After a cursory glance on IMDB he seems to be doing very well in the SFX business!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Old School Skateboarders – I've made a small film. (49 fingers)’ is closed to new replies.