Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Old school scrapyards…. Is there one near you?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I went to Thomas Muir’s scrapyard in Kirkcaldy this morning to find some corrugated roofing sheets for my woodshed. It is an old school scrap yard. They had everything from huge radial aero engines, vintage tractors, wartime heavy haulage and lifting trucks. I saw axles and artillery wheels from veteran cars and mountains of chains with links the size of a refrigerator.

The roof sheeting was described as heavy duty. I could barely lift a 9’x3′ sheet. It was so strong I could stand in the middle of an eight foot span of it and it doesn’t bend. I weigh about fourteen stones. They must have been made ages ago. The galvanizing was still perfect. You couldn’t buy material of that quality nowadays. Long live the serial salvors.

Does anyone else feel the love for lost places like these?

meehaja
    Free Member

I spent my teenage years mucking about in scrap yards. I used to love studying the engines of crazy old cars. I love salvage yards!

kevj
    Free Member

Yes, love these places!

A few years back I was rough camping near Alston and had to cut through a scrap yard back to where I’d left my kit in the woods.

Sitting there was a series 3 landie with the rear wheels & axles removed and replaced with a double cat track. I have a photie somewhere….

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ll see your rear cat tracks, and raise you…

maccruiskeen

Somewhere in Lincolnshire I found a big car parts yard, beyond the back of which (if you ignored the keep out signs) was all manner of weird military salvage including some zany swamp vehicle driven by big corkscrews.

konabunny
    Free Member
    maccruiskeen

like that, but smaller and more open, like a boat, on the top

mcmoonter
    Free Member

WANT

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afJ18eJeNgU[/video]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Old school scrapyards…. Is there one near you?’ is closed to new replies.