Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Old school scrap yard in or near Bristol
  • nickjb
    Free Member

Its been a while since I’ve been to a scrapyard but these days they seem to be a bit more organised. I want a few random bits for a project so need to wander around and see what’s what rather than looking for a specific model. Anyone know a good one for doing this in the Bristol area?

keir
    Free Member

there used to be one on great western industrial estate in Yate a few years ago

Edit: Yate Car Breakers, Dean Rd

revs1972
    Free Member

All the good uns used to be down by Feeder road.
    Most have changed now like you say and they strip them out and put the parts on the shelf.
    Used to be great on Saturday morning clambering over cars armed with a socket set in the old days

MrOvershoot

keir – Member
    there used to be one on great western industrial estate in Yate a few years ago

Edit: Yate Car Breakers, Dean Rd

Bloody hell that takes me back!!
    Just over 30 years ago I bought a gearbox out of a twin rear wheel transit from there, fitted it into my 3000E Capri.

eskay

As above, they have pretty much all shut down.

The only one I can think of is quite a drive from Bristol (Devizes: http://www.jonesmotorspares.com/home/ )

Not sure you would be allowed to climb piles of cars like you used to be able to though!

Milkie
    Free Member

Keir, that is the exact same one I was going to suggest! There is also one on Lodge Rd, just round the corner from Dean Rd, off of Yate Rd/Stover Rd. There is another on North Rd, but I’ve never been to that one.

redmex
    Free Member

You want it to be smelling of old oil, cars precariously piled 5 high, a couple of alsatians prowling with long ropes attached and a rust free classic car with its roof caved in by the hiab

Milkie
    Free Member

redmex, I can tell you’ve been there! 😆

Sundayjumper

Used to be great on Saturday morning clambering over cars armed with a socket set in the old days

Oh yes. <misty eyes>.

To this day my wife reminisces about going with me to the scrappie at Pease Pottage during the early days or our relationship. So romantic 🙂

freeagent
    Free Member

I used to love it – climbing up to the 3rd or 4th car in the pile to try and remove an alternator/starter motor whilst slipping about in oily mud laced with pieces of broken windscreen.

I always used to wear overalls with big pockets so I could fill them with fuses/relays/bulbs/bolts/etc.
    Looking back it was a health and safety nightmare!

turq

My old man and I used to get so much swag out of Sam’s Yard in Warrington – anyone else remember Sams?
    Highlights included –
    A Triumph Gloria chassis and running gear.
    Various LARGE blacksmiths bellows.
    But the the real find was a full set of B17 Bomber wheels and tyres that we sold to the film makers and they ended up on the place in the Eric Stoltz movie.

Happy days, that seem of another time now

Sandwich

my wife reminisces about going with me to the scrappie at Pease Pottage

Definitely a keeper Sundayjumper.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Old school scrap yard in or near Bristol’ is closed to new replies.