Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • old rugged phones
  • spock
    Free Member

Having had my phone stolen by some lovely chavs i just had a lovely conversation with i'm looking for a cheapish old phone that'll take the drenched rides ill take it on.

Any old, near indestructible phones you know of?

4ndyB
    Free Member

Nokia 5210 & 5410i

Shock proof & splash proof

I own both & they are almost indestructible

5410i is newer & a better phone, but crap camera, crap internet, if you want a phone to make calls & send texts it works well.

taka
    Free Member

thease are quite strong– nokia 3510

or.. nokia 3220

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Siemens M35i? One for sale, very cheap!

Dr_Bakes

Samsung B2700? There're reviews out there that have immersed it in water and run it over in a car and it keeps working. It's relatively basic but I've had mine for six months and no complaints, although I've not really tested it's rugged credentials. I bought mine as a handset only deal and put a Virgin monthly sim in it for £10 a month, although I think you could get it free on the Orange network.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

+1 for the Nokia 5410i, had one for 4 years and still going stong…

real_ben10
    Free Member

Any old Nokia if you aren't bothered about camera, mp3 player,internet etc. I had a 3220 for years and it went through allsorts of scrapes and just kept coming back for more. I also had one of the proper old rubber edged one's (can't rememer the number), possibly the toughest phone ever made.

slowmedown
    Free Member

LOL…

I've got one of those Nokia 3510's… amazing phone 4 or 5 years old… been through the washing machine, and I jumped into a swimming pool with it in my pocket. Still going strong

I was riding in the Massif Centrale, waiting for a cable car, spotted a liftie I know had one, said how good they are and told him about washing and swimming, he said 'pah, I dropped mine off a chairlift in December, found it in April, dried it out, charged it and it worked first time!!!!'

taka
    Free Member

real_ben10 i was looking for the rubber one but couldnt find what the model was mine fell into a lake last year and washed up 3 days later still working! dropped it out of my dads microlight aswell there bombproof and cheap as chips 😛

walla24
    Free Member

seimens m65…its so 'ard its got a roll cage.
    can put it in a pint and ring it too…
    youtube it theres vids of people doing allsorts to test it out and you can pick one up for £30 if you can find one

br
    Free Member

6310i, had them for years, still do the job

HTTP404
    Free Member

Nokia 5500 sport phone was good for me.
    Also has a built in pedometer and compatible with Nokia Sporttracker software (free download).
    Keyboard was membrane and probably wouldn't last if you're an incessant texter – but otherwise – solid.
    Should be cheap as chips on the bay now.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The old 6210. They go on and on and on and on.. Survive being dropped in pints of beer too.

Northwind

I had Nokia 5100s for years, really brilliant- even had a wee torch. Not quite waterproof but as good as (I used to drop mine into a pint of water and get people to phone it as a trick). But they're very old now, and generally not in great shape, so probably not the best idea.

The Samsung M110 Solid is the new equivalent I reckon. CE rated as dustproof, also has the wee LED torch (though it's less good) and it's more shock resistant. But it's a Samsung, which means it's horrible to use. I still haven't found where it keeps its apostrophe 😛 And the menu system is disasterous. Incredible really that a phone which is about 6 years newer is worse in every practical way, but there you go. You'll never kill it, but you may wish you could.

Alternatively, get any phone you want and an Otterbox.

Kinavit
    Free Member

I had a really old Nokia 5100 for years, and I loved it. I only replaced it when one of the buttons started to get a little temperemental. They're still available on eBay. I now have a Samsung M110 Solid. It lives in my pack when riding and has been well and truly abused. No problems so far.
    edit: Don't agree entirely with Northwind, I find it easy to use, and I'm an incesive texter.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Nokia 6310i was the business phone of choice a few years ago – awesome battery life and seems to pick up a signal where others can't.

didmatt
    Free Member

Nokia 1208
    £15 from Tescos, with £10 of credit on it. Taken it on every type of ride, still works like a good on.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘old rugged phones’ is closed to new replies.