Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • old oak block flooring is there a market for them
  • trout
    Free Member

we just took up about 70 square metres of I think oak parquet flooring
    my first thoughts were ooh goody fuel for the stove but the underside has a thick bitumen adhesive residue and just tried a few on the outside fire pit and they smoked like a bastard .
    but burned long and hot when the fir pit heated up .

anyways I wondered if we can turn them into cash if there is a market for them .

the blocks are 218 mm long 73 wide and 20 mm thick approx i can sand one down and post a pic if folks think its worth it

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hey trout, yeah, no good for burning with all that bitumen on them.

Look up a company called Parquet Parquet – they deal in reclaimed stuff – although 70 sqm might be below what they go for.

EDIT: oh and stick up a pic if you can – I’d be interested to see what it is – not much oak was put down in the days of bitumen dipping – but it might be.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’m interested too as have a repair to do in the new house on parquet

trout
    Free Member

Cheers Deadlydarcy just the man to answer my query
    taken up in a primary school due to one area covered up with vynil and so swelling and tenting up .
    will sand a few down and post piccy soon but may be a few days as now we got the problem of getting the floor sorted and the school opens again on monday .
    so looks like I am working the weekend now .

kormoran
    Free Member

Don’t burn it!

There is very much a market for salvage flooring, I have just laid a maple floor that is 3rd hand and looks amazing after a bit of work. I would have been very interested in your parquet

Gumtree is your friend – you could sell as is or put in the hours to clean it up and factor that in. Cleaning our maple took 2 of us 3 days to do 40sqm. Its dull grubby work

Lastly I’d try and sell it all or in 2 decent loads – otherwise you end up with less than 10 sqm that nobody wants

vongassit
    Free Member

My burmese teak parquet floor was originaly laid in a school in manchester in 1926 (apparently).

The tamiya frog donut marks are current though 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

we got the problem of getting the floor sorted and the school opens again on monday .

Ooof. Guess the sub-floor’s going to need sorting as well – don’t envy you especially with Monday looming.

twistedpencil

Might be interested in taking it off your hands, will be after some parquet flooring later in the year to finish our extension…

trout
    Free Member

ok sanded a couple but now that photobucket has gone weird how do I post the pics on here .
    underneath all the polish and crap they do look very nice .

DD yes at least 70 bags of ardex NA and 3 large tubs of epoxy DPM

trout
    Free Member

lets see if this works

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Got your email and replied trout.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Is that not pitch pine?

Hmm that would look good in my hall… Not sure what i’d do with the other 65m2

trout
    Free Member

thanks Deadlydarcy for your I’d and advice .
    Pitch pine .
    Certainly very hard wood and too good to just burn

Can’t get in my shed now so need to think what to do

ajantom

Looks like Pitch Pine I’d say. But it’s certainly not Oak, and it’s definitely a softwood of some sort.

DT78
    Free Member

We are looking for parquet too, but as above there is lots of work in making it useable so unless you do the work it won’t be worth much.

It’s likely we will plump for the easy option of an engineering or lvt copy

hammyuk
    Free Member

Thats absolutely Pine.
    No good for me I’m afraid unless I use it elsewhere n the house but it wood (see what I did there…) have to be really cheep due to the amount of work needed to make it useable

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘old oak block flooring is there a market for them’ is closed to new replies.