Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Old Mac Pro tower – ideas needed
  • soundninjauk

My Mac Pro bit the dust a couple of weeks ago, and I’m loathe to just throw the thing out as it’s built so nicely. So I’m after ideas to reuse the case is some manner. So far I’ve come up with

– some sort of planter for the balcony
    – filling it with LEDs/cold cathodes and using it as a large lamp

Anyone got any better ideas?

Drac

Fish tank.

mboy
    Free Member

Rip the guts out, and put a new Gigabyte motherboard in there, new components, and make a powerful Hackintosh out of it for a fraction of the price of a new Mac Pro!

Is what I’d do…

soundninjauk

I don’t really need another computer, and I fear the fish tank idea is about as practical as my first thought of using it as a space helmet.

Could get some glass to put on top of it and use it as a coffee table…

geedub16
    Free Member

My mate uses an old G5 as storage hung in his garage wall keeps a few tools in there

grantway
    Free Member

Cut the front out and put cd/DVD’s in it
    Then put your lamp on the top

unovolo
    Free Member

Small Book case.

CountZero

What actually died? Surely it’s not every single component in the computer? Is it not possible to find a third-party replacement and use it as a music server? It’s what old Macs at work are used for, the current one is around ten years old, but two older ones are still working.

soundninjauk

Hmm, shelves are something I hadn’t considered, but actually really like the idea of.

The two LEDs on the logic board marked ‘CPU A Fail’ and ‘CPU B Fail’ now light up when I turn it on. Also the fans go full blast, and it doesn’t even get as far as the chime.

It’s 2006 vintage so I don’t really think it owes me anything.

finishthat
    Free Member

I will gladly swap it for my broken G5 that looks exactly the same , then I could try an fix it, and you could make shelves.

Email in profile if interested

matt_outandabout

My brother has a lamp made out of his old Mac Cube.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Old Mac Pro tower – ideas needed’ is closed to new replies.