Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Old Hope Hose conversion knowledge needed…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I’m resurrecting some old two-part M4’s and it turns out the rear hose is too short for the bike I’m fitting it to.

Seems to be 6mm hose which I believe is the the ‘old’ standard.

Is the ‘proper’ Hope black or braided actually twice the price better than Superstar’s 5-ply plus stainless fittings? (Black 5mm and fittings ~£38 for both ends, SS 5ply plus stainless ~£38, Merlin/Hope Braided plus fittings ~£48…)

From what I gather, all the old fittings for the 6mm hose are useless and I’ll need a full set of fittings and hose?

I have a SS hose I’ve run very briefly on this frame with a different brake – any reason why I couldn’t just reuse it with a fitting kit?

vincienup
    Free Member

Problem solved. 🙂

Mcr-spares on that eBay are selling stainless braided hose in 6mm od at £5.99/m.

They seem like nice people, had bearings from them before. I’ll let you know how it goes…

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Nice to know 6mm is still available. Make sure you have good hose cutters as the braided stuff is harder to cut compared to the normal plastic hose.

coatesy
    Free Member

You’ll still need 5mm fittings for it (or Goodridge ones). Hope originally tried using their 6mm fittings over the plastic sleeve, and it proved very unreliable, with the hose pulling off the fittings frequently.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Old Hope Hose conversion knowledge needed…’ is closed to new replies.