Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Old F1000 Canondate headshock – complete, should I sell it?
  • ex-pat
    Free Member

So, converting an old Canondale that had a headshock in it to a rigid (went well in fact!). But, now got the old headshock that probably needs servicing but otherwise appears to be in mint condition.
    Should I ebay it? (I'm in Aus).
    Is it worth the the effort to sell given it's so niche?

footflaps

They cost a fortune new, so someone will buy it for spares – I've bought two second hand on Ebay myself and have a dead one in the garden waiting to be binned.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Cheers.
    I'll perhaps put it up on here – assuming there's a sensible international rate someone might want it.
    I'll never use it again, so will be looking for fair price only.
    Can I ask what you paid on Ebay?

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what model, and how much?

I'm trying to decide between selling my f500 frame and fork and using the proceeds to pay for some SID's on the sanderson (a heavier, less stiff and overall probably slower race bike option), or selling the sanderson and buying SID's and a new headset for the cannondale (probably a lighter and faster option). Or finding some higher end headshocks (lightest option, but possibly not the most durable).

mieszko
    Free Member

I paid 38 quid posted on eBay for a minted and perfect working condition Headshok Fatty Ultra, older model but had disc mounts, somewhere around 80mm travel, air spring and 5 setting rebound adjuster rather than the lockout on top. One of better buys considering that they get good prices on US eBay (somewhere around $100-200 depending on model). If You won't use it than there is no point in keeping it 🙂 Headshocks are pretty popular and if You put a good price than it will shift quick, old P-bone off my GF f500 was sold in under 10 minutes for 10 quid plus 10 postage. There is still quite a lot of F series bikes and someone might want to buy Your Fatty for spares or because it will be in better condition then the one on his bike 🙂

Depending on the condition and model You should get some cash for it but as with eBay You might not get the right buyer straight away but starting from at least 50 would be reasonable.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Cheers,
    I'll look at the weekend – I think I've got the manual etc to go with it. Certainly thinking it's not worth too much if a mint one is £38. Having said that, sat here, I don't think it had any scratches on it – and it has disc mounts.

mieszko
    Free Member

It might be worth more than £38 as like I wrote before I think I managed to bag a great bargain as another one I was watching went for over £70. It all depends how bad does it need a service as this might be the only issue that can drive the price down. If You write that it was in storage, holds air and works as it should but because it wasn't used for some time it might benefit from a service it should still be able to fetch a decent price. Maybe try other sites like retro bike or german eBay OR if You list on UK eBay try to put international shipping 🙂 Some final prices are stupidly high if people from abroad can bid so a fairly high Fatty (F1000 wasn't a basic model) should shift. Some prices for parts that are sold here are still a bargain for people in different countries even considering the extra shipping costs. Just don't send it to Nigeria and accept a MoneyGram money transfer from Your long lost cousin who happens to be a prince there 😉

loughor
    Free Member

Missed this thread at the time. Thinking of doing the same with an old F500, removing the fatty headshock, and replacing it with a 'normal' fork. Anybody able to assist me with the axle to crown length of the old fatty, cannot for the life of me find it anywhere… or alternatively, suggest a suitable fork for use with the frame ? Thnx.

retro83
    Free Member

Anybody able to assist me with the axle to crown length of the old fatty, cannot for the life of me find it anywhere… or alternatively, suggest a suitable fork for use with the frame ? Thnx.

measure it? ;]

loughor
    Free Member

🙂 yeah, thanks for that 😀

disco_stu
    Free Member

you could stick a lefty on it?
    i think the max length of a lefty for an f series frame is 100mm or 110mm.

loughor
    Free Member

Yaeh, thanks for that Stu, done a bit more research, and have resolved the issue, 100 mm would seemingly be the max. Cheers.

Wozza
    Free Member

loughor, i've just bought a dale out of the classifieds that came with a set of RS recon sl. Might be interested in a swap over to a headshock unit, what have you got?

ex-pat
    Free Member

If it's any help, I put these (100mm carbons) on the F1000 and coupled with the reducer cups and the headset it seems to be pretty much on the money compared to where it was. I did think it was going to drop it, but forgot the headset.

Cheers

loughor
    Free Member

Wozza, they are a VERY yellow Fatboy headshock (model I'll need to check later). Unfortunately I'm in Hong Kong, swap may be a bit difficult.
    Ex-pat, thanks, thats exactly the sort of advice I was after. Did you sell your set ? A pal of mine has just been given a F1000 frame which is a kind of greyish colour. He might be interested in yours.

stretchy72
    Free Member

Ex-pat, I'm the friend that loughor refers to above. I'd definately be interested in your headshok if you've still got it and have decided to definately sell. I've just been given the smokin'silver f1000 frame and am looking to keep it as close to original as possible. Thanks!

ex-pat
    Free Member

Hey stretchy72, I'm at work at the moment, let me take some pictures etc and I'll get back to you.

I do know that it's had v-brake bosses (the bit sticking up) removed, but mounts for them are still there if you can get a spare set. It is disc ready to mind – pretty certain.

Colour is that speckled green that a lot of 'dales are.
    Expect a full description early next week.

stretchy72
    Free Member

Great, thanks ex-pat. I'll be going disc so no problem there.

You can email me at steve_stretch AT hotmail dot com if it's easier than heading back to this post each time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Old F1000 Canondate headshock – complete, should I sell it?’ is closed to new replies.