Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Old debts and emigration.
  • 2hottie
    Free Member

Right,

I’ve a few old debts to several high street banks and credit card companies. All the debts are on a management plan with the associated credit provider and as such I’m not paying any interest on these. This was sorted out via the students union on my behalf and everything had been going smoothly, however some of the debts are coming up for review and as it stands I’m still no better off financially then when I started the management plan. Therefore I’ve no intention on paying anything extra. I’ve been clear about my circumstances to each creditor and have taken the advantage of paying off some of the debts via a reduced settlement figure, generally around 45-50% off the outstanding amounts.

Next year I’m moving to Australia and was wondering what the above creditors can do to chase up the debts. I’m currently of the mindset to let them know a month before I leave and offer them a token gesture to write the account off. My credit rating (if there is such a thing) is shot at anyway so doubt that will be affected any more.

None of the debts are classed as priority debts, ie council tax, water bills etc, but are purely private loans and not affiliated to any property or item of value.

Also I have no assets that are in my name, such as car and my bike could be passed off to my bro.

In the UK I’m not worried about them turning up at the door and demanding entry as well as possessions, as they would have to take me to court first.

SO do I do as mentioned above or still pay in the future when living in Aus?

deserter
    Free Member

what does your conscience say?
    I would pay it if it was me as I believe in Karma, when we moved to Canada we basically had to start again with credit ratings anyway, especially as we were on temporary permits to start with

djglover
    Free Member

Don’t mention it. I now bank with the same bank that failed to trace a student debt from me and I only moved across town.

totalshell

you ve had there money and not paid it back and now your planning a runner… how would you feel if you were them..

djglover
    Free Member

They are banks, happy to take our money when it goes wrong. Don’t worry about it, they don’t.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s theft. End of.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Think of the poor bankers…. 😉

craigxxl
    Free Member

The debt stays with you regardless of where you go. Leaving your debts unpaid in the UK will not do your emigration to Australia any good if the authorities find out by doing a simple credit check and I’m sure you still need to be able to the funds to support yourself as part of the emigration process.
    If you do have these funds for emigrating how have you been able to accumulate them but not repay your debts?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Does little Brian Know your plans? 😐

andyl
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-needed-car-collision

as I moving to Australia next April I’d rather not have anything creeping up on us at a later date.

I think you need to face up to the money you owe and deal with it. One reason we are all in this mess is debts that can’t/won’t be paid and while “one more person is not going to make much difference” cumulatively you all do. Debts should be the first thing you clear.

Surely the tickets and other costs moving to Australia are going to be several thousand £? How can you afford that when you can’t pay debts you owe?

AlasdairMc

Ditch the management plan, instead managing them through an IVA or Trust Deed (depending where you are located).

Pay back your debt as opposed to running away from it – if you move back here you’re screwed if you want a mortgage or whatnot.

Nick

I’m pretty certain the Aussies will check your financial status before giving you any kind of residency… I mean do you think they actually want flybynight shysters moving there?

druidh
    Free Member

2hottie – Member
    The GF, soon to be wife, has got herself a place in the Aussie cops in Adelaide and I’m over the moon to be moving there in March next year.

Hmm. Good start to her police career….

ianpinder
    Free Member

Declare bankruptcy before you go?

timc
    Free Member

go & be a bum in oz instead, don’t worry about it 😈

grantway
    Free Member

Pay your debt as the history of your debt will follow you were ever you go.

ianpinder – Member
    Declare bankruptcy before you go?

Bad idea he may want to start a business in a few years and would find getting
    finance or a business loan a real problem.

Remember OZ is still part of the United Kingdom.

boblo
    Free Member

Christ on a bike… On what planet is it acceptable to take someone elses money (ours indirectly) enjoy living it up (these were ‘non prirority’) and then consider it OK to avoid paying what YOU owe???

Grow up, get some sense of responsibility and pay what you owe you bloody thieving scrounger.

NZCol

If you apply for residence and certain visas you may be denied. If you re-enter the UK likely you will be stopped. Your gf if you are in a de facto relationship which I assume you are will also have to declare it. Do the right thing.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The GF, soon to be wife, has got herself a place in the Aussie cops in Adelaide and I’m over the moon to be moving there in March next year.

Good odds that you’ll be back here in a year or two then, from some of what I’ve heard.

ojom
    Free Member

Remember OZ is still part of the United Kingdom.

you better tell them!

hels
    Free Member

I think the Aussies might stop watching Neighbours, surfing and hunting crocodiles long enough to check somebody’s status before they accept them as a resident. They have electricity, computers, everything these days.

Nice one – “Oz stil part of the UK comment” standards in schools today not dropping then ??

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – I’d probably ignore the debt

Your UK credit record is not accessible to Aus companies, the data protection act prevents it

If the banks had a chance of screwing you for a few quid, they’d do it without thinking – illegally sold payment protection, punitive penalties for even the tiniest breech of their T&Cs

**** ’em I say

NZCol

Still part of the commonwealth just thereforebdata exchange is different same in nz, we check ukmrecords as part of emigration processes. And in fact when you go in/out, an associate got arrested for unpaid parking tickets !!

iDave
    Free Member

How sure are you about moving there? Given the circumstances I’d be expecting you to be dumped before you go.

hels
    Free Member

And just to tidy up yet another wee Data Protection Act myth, personal data can be transferred to countries outwith the European Union who have an equivalent data protection regime. Australia is one of them. USA isn’t, neither is India last time I checked. Maybe you should apply there ?? I hear some South American countries aren’t too fussy either.

uplink
    Free Member

OP – there’s loads of ex-pat info out there this sort of thing

http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9936

allthepies
    Free Member

As mentioned above, could be interesting with your GF becoming a copper! Plus what happens if things don’t work out for you in Oz and you eventually come back to UK ? Running away from your responsibilities doesn’t absolve you of them.

philconsequence
    Free Member

😯 nice to know you’ve learnt your lesson about credit and spending money you haven’t earned, then being responsible for the debt you’ve built up, money that will be clawed back by the banks from people like us. 🙄

I dont know your personal situation and how you ended up in that debt, i dont want to judge as i dont know you… but what i’ve written up there ^ is how a lot of people reading this thread will be feeling – especially in such tricky financial times where so many people are struggling and making huge sacrifices to avoid doing what your post suggests you’ve done.

i hope you sort your situation out and have a successful move to pastures new 🙂 and if i’m completely honest… if you dont pay what you owe back, i hope you’re chased for it all over the world 😛

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wot Phil said.
    Grow a pair and face up to it.

wwaswas

If I was discussing running away from my debts I wouldn’t have my real name in my forum profile email address.

Just saying.

jon1973
    Free Member

Remember OZ is still part of the United Kingdom

It’s part of the Commonwealth, not the UK.

richmtb

Part of my thinks “F*** Them!” they aren’t slow in charging you when you make a mistake.

But the greater part of me knows that that attitude is part of the reason we are all in this mess. Man up and pay

atlaz
    Free Member

A colleague of mine left the UK owing 50k. Although they never found him in the USA, his mum still gets visits from the people chasing the debt and even tracked him down to his myspace acct a few years back so knew where he was. There’s not much they could do from that distance but it’s clear they’re not forgetting his debt. I’d imagine if you’re banking within the same group they may come and find you that way too.

woody2000

I’m in the philc camp – if you can borrow it and spend it, you can pay it back. You’ve obviously got cash otherwise how would you pay your way to Oz, or is that on a credit card too? 🙄

I know some people end up in debt for reasons beyond their control, but the OP doesn’t sound like they’re in that kind of scenario. Pay your way, start a new life in the clear.

flyingmonkeycorps

Another vote for PhilC’s “man up and do the right thing” suggestion. I’m in a similar state financially, partly through bad luck and partly through bad judgement, and I aim to pay it all off – in fact I’m currently paying more per month on a DMP than I would have been just paying minimum payments. I also manage to sustain a reasonably comfortable lifestyle.

Harry_the_Spider

My old house mate (the smelly bastard) ran off to Mexico, then Saudi and finally Singapore leaving debts. They traced him and got him.

Also, what the next poster said. Piss boiling. Pay up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

PhilC et al. +1

Running away from your debt just means that those of us stupid enough to save some money and not piss it all up the wall at uni have to pay off your debt for you in the form of only getting 0.5% intrest on any savings.

And where are you getting the money from to emigrate, thats going to cost a pretty penny in flights, shipping, visas etc, and don’t OZ require you to have £XXX in savings to prove you’re self sufficient untill you get a job?

Sory, but you’ve just boiled my piss.

xiphon
    Free Member

I knew someone who came to the UK from Poland, racked up a phenomenal amount of debt buying bike kit. We’re talking £10,000+ easily

He had a brand new Yeti 303, Yeti 4X AND Scott Ransom (carbon IIRC) at the same time…. and he’s rather…er.. large, so some people might know him.

Perhaps to him the easy access to UK credit was like monopoly money? No concept of how much it was really worth?

He was attending a college course in Law in London, with the starry-eyed hopes of landing a £60k internship in the City…. perhaps his attitude was “when I’ve landed that job, I can pay it all back”

‘friendship’ ended when he started stalking a friend of mine… LOL

I understand he’s now in Whistler, and will probably never return to the UK.

derek_starship
    Free Member

It could be a baby banker.

I left France many moons ago owing loads. The car I had on finance was left outside the village police station and I posted the keys back to the dealership with a polite note!

I’ve been back many times since. Not to work though 8)

codybrennan
    Free Member

My BiL skipped out of Abu Dhabi about 12 years ago, and left behind a series of debts.

He’s been in the UK for the aforesaid 12 years, and was surprised a few weeks ago to get a call, letter, and visit from a debt colleaction agency.

He’s vague on what happened next, but the upshot is he’s effectively been placed on all the credit reference agencies as a bad risk, and has not been able to get the mortgage he was in the process of obtaining. Which has hampered things somewhat, as I’m sure you can imagine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Old debts and emigration.’ is closed to new replies.