Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Old bikes that are better than they should be.
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

The angles on that Patriot look fine…nice to see a twelve year old bike still being ridden and enjoyed.

xiphon
    Free Member

@ PJM1974

Frame works nicely with 150mm 36R forks (TALAS too, which is handy).

Soon to be fitting a 27.2 dropper post 🙂

Out back is a 12×135 bolt-through setup, so there’s zero flex.

wwaswas

2001 Giant NRS.

Now doing singlespeed duites with a Rohloff tensioner. Not ridden much but on a dry summers day it’s great.

AD

’96 Bontrager Race – now built up as a singlespeed with short travel RC39’s on it. Absolutely brilliant bike. Probably considered a ‘bit twitchy’ by todays standards though…

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Well this is quite fun to ride a 1989 Marin Pallisades

But that a young bike next to my 1981 Alan competizione. However many more older bikes are in use over on Retrobike. I suggest the OP who think his 06 bike is old has look over there.

I ride an 03 Orange Evo2

A mid ninties Kona steel of course
    Nowt wrong with old.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Until last year I was still riding a silver 1994 Orange Clockwork. Fully rigid with elegant curved forks & capable of a real turn of speed too. You just had to keep your wits about you or you were off, especially in the rough stuff! Loved riding it in the peaks, lakes & dales. A great bike!

nick3216
    Free Member

old bikes

you’re joking right?

’95 Turner Burner is a top notch XC race mount. Modern (ish) parts mind. Circa 2005

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

2004 enduro, a classic. Loads of fun and dressed in “modern” bits it’s just as capable as newer offerings.

clockworkarmy
    Free Member

mountain cycle-san andreas

_tom_
    Free Member

Where are my manners, I forgot to post the mandatory pictures of my bikes..

^ This was by far the oldest looking bike I saw in Whistler.

dogbert
    Free Member

this thread has cheered me up, my only bike, a 2003 Kona Cinder Cone got some TLC today, was starting to think I was the only person with a bike older than 5 years:

garage-dweller

98 Schwinn Homegrown USA now as an SS (although yet to be ridden like that)

Another vote for 04 Enduro here. Just rebuilt mine after two years hung bare framed on the wall.

Fab bikes both. Schwinn is very direct and lively and the Enduro is great fun so long as its not bonkers steep.

andrewh
    Free Member

Day before yesterday

Last week
    I have newer, fancier stuff with much carbon fibre. This bike is the most fun though, the one I’ll never sell. It’s a 1999 frame by the way, bits range from 1998 to 2011.

Tiger6791
    PJM1974
    Free Member

So are those Enduros judging by the feedback on here (some of which is mine).

colournoise

Still my benchmark for what an MTB should be like. 2001 Trailstar. Lively (would now be described as twitchy), great balance of weight and bombproofness, cool looking and capable of most types of riding.

Still my favourite (for now) bike to ride in terms of shits and giggles, although I suspect that’s about to change now I’ve gone back to steel from the ali Mr Hyde and tried to build something that is to 2012 what the Trailstar was to 2002.

slainte 8) rob

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Old bikes that are better than they should be.’ is closed to new replies.