Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Old bike, new build. My first FS. (Enduro content.)
  • tomcanbefound
    Free Member

06 S-Works Enduro:

Built her up from a frame of the bay and forks from pinkbike, think i payed a little over £400 for the two inc postage. Wheels from classifieds for 100 squid and the rest from my parts box, January sales and a couple more bits from here… Total cost: ~£800 not including some of the bling parts i had in my box from toying with the fit on my soul.

Have yet to test her in anger but just sent my SID’s of to Loco so will be riding her this weekend!

Frame: Specialized S-Works Enduro 2006 (medium)
    Shock: Fox RP23
    Fork: Fox 36 Van RC2
    Cranks: Shimano XT M770 170mm with Hope 32t IBR and guide.
    BB: Shimano XT
    Shifter: Shimano Sait M820
    Mech: Shimano XT M785 GS
    Casette: Shimano XT 11-36
    Chain: Shimano XTR
    Brakes: Shimano M775 180/160
    Wheels: Hope Pro II on DT Swiss 5.1D
    Tyres: Specialized 2Bliss Butcher 2.3 / Purgatory 2.2
    Headset: Hope
    Stem: Hope FR 50mm 25deg
    Bars: Easton Haven carbon
    Grips: ODI X-Trainer
    Pedals: Shimano Saint
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb 125mm
    Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM muzzle

Weight: 14.3Kg (31.5LB) Not bad considering what she’s built for, still feels like a tank next to my soul though 😮

Left to do: Would have been happy to stay with the RP23 that the previous owner “upgraded” to, but it has the wrong tune for the frame and is an 8.25″ rather than 8.75″. Still handles OK even with the 160mm forks but could be snappier. So looking at DHX 5.0 coils on ebay, just waiting to see if the low shock mount i finally found actually turns up from this polish guy on pinkbike :?… Brakes will be swapped to the M785’s from the soul which will get new Tech 3’s and it needs a 200mm rotor for the front. And eventually some LB carbon rims laced with CX-Rays when they bring out the 26″ hookless.

Should keep the upgradeitis at bay for a while 😆

Having some issues with reverb routing, the cable is only just long enough if I follow the guides for the front mech, anyone got pics of alternate routing options? Also wondering about the effectiveness of the Propedal on the DHX 5.0? Was looking at Roco TST’s for the lockout but the tart in me wants Fox…

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Would also like to hear thoughts on spring weight from anyone with a similar frame…

I weigh around 80Kg with kit, will not be doing any massive drops or road gaps. According to the fox calc i can run a 350 for the reccomended sag of 25%, 400 for 21.5 or 450 for 18%…

Internet wisdom seems to fail here with a p even split of riders, some claiming the frame leverage makes them run a harder spring than usual with the rest claiming the opposite 😯 Same story for Ti coils, some claim the “softer” material makes them run ~25lb higher rates than they would for steel, the others flame them with pseudo materials science… Ideally i would find someone with a set of 350-450 coils i could borrow to test ^^

Tracey

Looks good. Im sure you will have loads of fun. Katies dropper cable comes up from infront of the shock on the right. No problems with catching or working.

You can also buy a specialized seat clamp that has a grove for the cable.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Do you find that seatclamp useful Tracey? Mine is bobbins!

The 05/06 Enduro is a great bike. I went through 3 over the years thinking I would buy something better but ending up back with the Enduro.

I would have a look at RS Monarch shocks, mine was fantastic for general riding and still pretty good for DH (But not as good as the DHX RC2 on my current Enduro Evo). I had it in 222x66mm with a medium tune. It gave slightly more travel than the stock length and probably quite a bit more than your RP23.

If you get a longer shock you will definitely want to run the slacker shuttle.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Looks good. Im sure you will have loads of fun. Katies dropper cable comes up from infront of the shock on the right. No problems with catching or working.

Thanks! Was hoping for a slightly more elegant solution but i guess im being picky, I like the routing on the newer model but no dark frame to blend the cable into… Maybe im over thinking this 😛

I would have a look at RS Monarch shocks, mine was fantastic for general riding and still pretty good for DH (But not as good as the DHX RC2 on my current Enduro Evo). I had it in 222x66mm with a medium tune. It gave slightly more travel than the stock length and probably quite a bit more than your RP23.

Do you mean air or coil? Does it have some kind of lockout/propedal feature? Find the rp23 very wallowy under power but im p sure thats allot to do with the tune, but hence my looking at the DHX 5 coil or roco tst as they have the propedal/tst feature…

If you get a longer shock you will definitely want to run the slacker shuttle.

Yeah been a bitch trying to source one though 👿 Hopefully this guy comes thorough, else i can always go 8.5″ with the high mount should end up with same geo as 8.75″ and the low, on the plus side it would eliminate any worries of shock clearance…

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Do you find that seatclamp useful Tracey? Mine is bobbins!

Reverb came with a zip tie mounted cable guide, does the same job i guess, ie not much. Even if positioned perfectly in line with the cable drop it just stops it from looping below it. Could achieve the same with just a zip tie.

Tracey

Got the same seat clamps on five bikes now ( 3 Enduros, a Stumpjumper and a Reign and all work fine with Specialized Command Posts). Looked at different ways to run the cable on Katies Enduro and that was the quickest and best option we could find although on my Marin it runs under the top tube via two stick on cable tabs which works well

Not a good picture to see it on

steel4real
    Free Member

If you’re after the shuttles, give us a shout as I have 2 pairs from and 07 SX Trail which I’m pretty sure are the same.

The SX trail ran the 8.75 x 2.75 shock to give 6.7 inches of travel or something. I think the stock Enduro ran a 8.5 x 2.5 stroke for the 6 inches of travel ?

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve run a 05 SX trail in several different set-ups over the years.

Originally was using a 5th element coil, with a 550lbs spring (i’m 110kg) in 215 x 64 shock length. This gave me 150mm on the rear, paired with some 150mm Z1 freerides.
    I always ran the high shuttle, because i like it lively for the twisty stuff.

I have however just got another frame, and am now running a DHX coil with 222 x 70. This gives up about 170mm travel now, with some 55RC3 Ti’s up front to match. I’m now running a 500lbs spring, and it seems pretty similar. I think spring weights are a little bit vague from standard spring suppliers.

I am going to experiment with the low shuttle soon, but i have to do some tests first with no spring in place, as i have been told the clearance could be a problem using this.

All in all, a fab bike. It’s my XC/Enduro/freeride/DH bike.. so it’d better be good.

PS, i have an 05 medium frame and 5th element shock for sale soon if anyone is particular.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Looks good buddy. I’m a big fan of these….I had an 05 SX Trailwhich I loved.

I ran my reverb hose through the joke for the shock and then zip tied it to the brake hose. It looked pretty neat.

Finding shocks for these is a real pain the bum though due to the funny size. Mine had the DHX Air which I liked once the air volume had been decreased. If you do track down a DHX 5 (coil or air) the boost valve needs to be removed so they clear the frame.

lardman
    Free Member

….oh, and i run the reverb cable down the non drive side of the frame, with a loose fitting zip-tie to attach it to the front mech band. There’s also a little loop to attach it to the swing link. This keeps it tucked in out the way, and the behind the QR lever for the seat collar. Reaches just fine, and keeps it out the way.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Here are some pics of my SX that show the routing.

lardman
    Free Member

Mojo do Fox shocks in the right length for the 05-06 versions. The latter ones had a weird length.

lardman
    Free Member

Yep, mine’s about the same as ‘minmap3’s
    I run the guide that came with the post, just at the place that ‘minmap3’ runs that zip-tie. The lower part moves up and down, rather than have the loose loop. I reckon i’d snag mine on something if it was hanging there.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Do you mean air or coil? Does it have some kind of lockout/propedal feature? Find the rp23 very wallowy under power but im p sure thats allot to do with the tune

Sorry the Monarch is an air shock. Its actually the Monarch Plus that I had. It has a 3 position lever for a peddling platform. The positions are open, medium and firm. It doesn’t lock out. I used the medium most of the time, the open for really bumpy downhills and the firm for really steep long climbs. Great shock.

If you do track down a DHX 5 (coil or air) the boost valve needs to be removed so they clear the frame

No it doesn’t.

Granted you have to remove the shock to adjust the pressure but I would rather have to do that than not have the function at all.

DHX 3 without boost valve on my 1st Enduro (05 Medium)

DHX 5 with boost valve on my 3rd Enduro (06 Medium)

Finally Monarch Plus on the 3rd after I had stripped the paint.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Tracey –

Got a link for that seatclamp or do I need to see a specialized dealer? My Spesh frameset didn’t come with one…….

Thanks,

Andy

tmb467
    Free Member

SX Trail shuttle wont work on any other bike – manual here shows why

manual

lardman
    Free Member

well, my 05 SX trail shuttle definitely FITS on my standard Enduro frame (05 i believe), as i’m using it now.

The frame mounts are the same spacing, not sure if it effects the geometry in any other way. It FEELS and handles the same. The shock shuttle i’ve been using (and that came on the bike) looks like the standard enduro shuttle, and not the one depicted as the SX trail version. The lower shuttle from the standard enduro looks almost identical to the SX trail one anyway.

I think the only criteria, is if the swing link contacts the main frame at full compression. It doesn’t when using a 222 x 70 shock and the ‘high shuttle’ from the ‘Enduro’.
    I’m about the check if the ‘low’ shuttle is an issue in this way. I think it should be fine, but it’s mm’s in it.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Id load a picture of mine, but it looks so similar to yours that theres not much point. I thought Id buy it and build it up cheap as an introduction to full susses, but it works so well for me that I got Nevis Cycles to do the bearings for me and spent a bit more on components and now I just cant see myself changing it. Its the same colour and model as yours, but with a single ring upfront, 50mm stem and mahoosive bars. Love it.

Kuco

I had an 05 S-Works bike one of the few bikes I regretted getting rid off.

Mine came with a 5th Element air shock that blew up on the 3rd ride and upgraded to the DHX air.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

steel4real – Member
    If you’re after the shuttles, give us a shout as I have 2 pairs from and 07 SX Trail which I’m pretty sure are the same.

The SX trail ran the 8.75 x 2.75 shock to give 6.7 inches of travel or something. I think the stock Enduro ran a 8.5 x 2.5 stroke for the 6 inches of travel ?

Awesome would love to dibs that if nothing turns up from this PB guy. Means i can now bid on teh DHX 5 on ebay 🙂 was holding of till it arrived as id be screwed without it… Will pop you a mail when i get home.

Yeah the standard models did, the elite and Sworks had an 8.75 to maintain geometry with the longer forks but with stroke limited to 2.5 to avoid any possible frame contact, but people have run them at full 2.75 or 170mm with no issues effectivly turning it into a lighter SX Trail.

EDIT:

tmb467 – Member
    SX Trail shuttle wont work on any other bike – manual here shows why

manual

Hmm now im worried, my understanding was they were compatible up till the 07 model… Any chance you could post a pic steel4real?

Cheers

kerbdog
    Free Member

Op just wondering what length of reverb you went for and what size frame? I have a small 05 enduro that I’m thinking of putting a reverb on but worried about shock clearance.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

kerbdog – Member
    Op just wondering what length of reverb you went for and what size frame? I have a small 05 enduro that I’m thinking of putting a reverb on but worried about shock clearance.

125mm drop 380mm length. Medium frame.

When i measured it up i figured the 420 could “just” fit with the post all the way down to the collar but didnt deem it nessecary as i don’t have crazy long legs or ride very low frames.

The seatube on the 06 has a notch so you cannot insert it past a certain point anyway so don’t see how shock clearance would be an issue?

Just make sure that the length of the post from the clamp to bottom of the collar when fully extended doesn’t put the saddle above your max comfortable ride hight should be your only concern, the 125mm has 19cm from top of seatclamp to saddle rails. Theres full measurements on the sram site for the others…

…Yeah after looking at that manual the SX trail mount prolly wont work, knew id heard about SX compatibility just the trail model is different :s Heard back from the PB guy anyhoo he confirms sending it so hopefully were all good 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

No it doesn’t.

Granted you have to remove the shock to adjust the pressure but I would rather have to do that than not have the function at all.

Slight resurrection…

It’s the valve to adjust the boost pressure that is removed due to clearance issues in the steep setting. The big blue dial is fine, but the schreader valve is too close to the frame as the pic in this thread will show….

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/dhx-air-155415.html

The Specialized DHX shocks have the boost valve adjuster valve removed and plugged with a plastic bung. Instead of using air, they have a nitrogen charge.

My 05 frame had a blob of weld to stop the post being inserted too far as well.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mine was fine. This photo is from a bad angle so the clearance looks less but was taken (according to EXIF) during the same minute as my above photo.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Which shock shuttle were you using?

This link shows an early Enduro with next to no clearance

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/shocks-suspension/334063d1202790244-dhx-5-air-fox-removed-air-adjustment-boost-valve-p1000731.jpg

It does seem to be the older ones that suffer from clearance issues more than the later ones/ My SX had sweet FA clearance between the Boost valve and the frame.

Hence the removal of the valve and a preset pressure.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Probably the slack one to be honest but there was plenty of room for it.

That link is definitely the steep (boring) shuttle but I still think there is enough room for the valve. The valve cap I had on mine was quite a big pointy one. The air valve was much further down. I would say that there is just enough room on your link for a proper shock.

Not that any of it really matters as the best shock to run on 05 Enduros is a Monarch plus.

hora
    Free Member

Nice build OP 😀

tmb467
    Free Member

as the best shock to run on 05 Enduros is a Monarch plus.

Personally, I had absolutely NO issues with the DHX-A 4.0 that Loco had fettled…it worked brilliantly

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

According to the epic MTBR thread anything from a medium frame upwards should have no clearance issues when running the low shuttle (however some borderline cases were reported and assigned to not so tight manufacturing tolerances on the frame), same goes for whether it can be run at full 2.75″ stroke.

The shuttle turned up and ive grabbed a DHX 5.0 coil and Ti spring of ebay for £160, they should turn up tomorrow so I will update to confirm…

Ta hora 🙂

Went for a quick blast in epping at the weekend, was an absolute mudbath and way overbiked but damn she fine 8)

ell_tell
    Free Member

Odd question & sorry I’m not helping with your cable routing issue, but what stem cap (looks light green) is that?

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

ell_tell – Member
    Odd question & sorry I’m not helping with your cable routing issue, but what stem cap (looks light green) is that?

Hope team :mrgreen:

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Op success!

I really understand now what people were talking about when they said this bike can get you into more trouble than it can get you out of! Sooo confidence inspiring ended up looking for the evilest lines i could find and just plowing through them! 😀 And that was with the wallowy RP23! Took a while for the bits to arrive so havent taken her out with the coil yet, methinks it shall be fun 🙂

No clearance issues whatsoever running at full travel 2.75″ and the valve cap fits fine (initially swapped it out for the short one of the RP23 but the pointy one fits np!

T

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Old bike, new build. My first FS. (Enduro content.)’ is closed to new replies.