Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Old BBC Homepage is back online
  • jp-t853

The new one is too awful for words.

Someone has found the link to the old homepage and it looks better than it ever did. You don’t realise what you have until it is taken away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/customise#locationPanel

Is it right to get so excited about this kind of thing?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But can you restore the far more detailed coverage that there used to be before the Beeb was dumbed yet further?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I thought/think the new one is fine. But I never really looked at it, just clicked on the news link.

alexpalacefan

You, sir, are a genius. Thanks for that

APF

speaker2animals

Not a fan of the new one (or new Google mail). If I want to select something/change page I’ll click something thanks, not just accidentally move my cursor into the wrong area so that the clever website thinks I want to look at where the cursor is hovering.

“Automation” taken too far, I can actually still manage to press the mouse buttons on my own thanks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shame they didn’t take the opportunity to get rid of the flash video 🙁

Not a fan of the new one (or new Google mail). If I want to select something/change page I’ll click something thanks, not just accidentally move my cursor into the wrong area so that the clever website thinks I want to look at where the cursor is hovering.

That sounds like it’ll be messy with a touchscreen.

flip
    Free Member

Ta.

I truly hate the new one, just leave it alone for fek sake..

aracer
    Free Member

I thought/think the new one is fine. But I never really looked at it, just clicked on the news link.

I wouldn’t have realised anything had changed had you lot not commented on it – I never go to the homepage, just direct to news http://news.bbc.co.uk

GrahamS

If I want to select something/change page I’ll click something thanks, not just accidentally move my cursor into the wrong area so that the clever website thinks I want to look at where the cursor is hovering.

Eh? I can’t see any bit on the new site that auto-selects or changes page just because I move my cursor over it?

Do you mean like the way it displays a bit more information about stories before you click on them? (e.g. the “The Truth About supermarket offers” story on the main page)?

Seems useful to me. Saves visual clutter and info overload.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

‘course in my day this were all fields/the old BBC homepage

molgrips
    Free Member

Whinging about new things is such an automatic response I don’t even listen any more.

EDIT sorry, that’s not meant to come across as harsh as it sounds! I am actually in a good mood today.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I too hate the new homepage. Links that don’t look like links, content that was on the homepage now clicks away, forcing me to see content I don’t want to see (ie links to TV and radio).

I don’t mind the overall look of it – it is simply the interaction it has with the user, combined with the fact that links (for example the 4 separate stories with links under ‘BBC NEWS’ (top right/middle) look like one piece of body text of 4 lines in length, not links to 4 separate stories – just simple bullets/arrows to signal a new link would be enough.

FuzzyWuzzy

As others, I normally only go to the news bit but having just checked it I can confirm it looks pretty horrific

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Old BBC Homepage is back online’ is closed to new replies.