Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Old alarm system removal
  • DT78
    Free Member

Have a fancy new wireless alarm for the home, have fitted most of the sensors, left with a couple which I want to position in the same place as the old existing wired alarm system.

I do not have the code for this system, so far powering down the electrics hasn’t set it off, it is probably 15 years old. Would the pirs be fitted with tampers? Just power down and unscrew?

I’m happy to leave the remainder of the system pirs if it doesn’t go off till l I have the time. It makes a good dummy system….

Any tips or thoughts? I don’t have a ladder to reach the bellboxes, there is what looks like a loud hailer in the loft, I could probably get over there and cut any wires if I had too

cultsdave
    Free Member

I switched the power off to mine ripped off the cover and disconnected the battery. I don’t remember if the outside box went off or not. I also had a ladder and while wearing ear plugs ripped open the outside box and snipped the wires inside.
    So I know have a dummy box and a new wireless system too.
    Wear ear defenders is my advice!

Potdog
    Free Member

There are usually a couple of pins inside the control panel that you can short when powering up the panel to reset it to factory defaults. Have a google to see if you can find the installers manual for it.

That way you’ll have the code to be able to reset it if you want / need to.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

There is usually a tamper circuit protecting the covers (control panel, PIRs, outside bell box, etc) so removing will activate the tamper alarm.

Once activated, the bell box should not sound for more than 20 minutes (that is assuming the battery/ capacitor has enough juice to do this if 15 years old). The loft siren may keep sounding also even after you clipped the cables if it has a battery backup.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmm think I need to get hold of a big ladder before I try this.

Do older alarms have louder sirens? They all seem to be around 104db now (regulations?) which actually isn’t that loud at all. A 100db alarm going off inside the garage is barely audible in the lounge about 15m away. Wondering if I can some how rug up the old loft siren to the new system, maybe some sort of raspberry pi / ifttt …it looks loud…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Fill old alarm bits with expandy foam the day before disconnecting. Much quieter. (Apparently)

nwmlarge
    Free Member

You could pay someone £2-300 to remove it and not have the ball ache or the frowny neighbours?

mrjmt
    Free Member

pull it off the wall and put it in a bucket of water.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Old alarm system removal’ is closed to new replies.