Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • ok, WTF is going on with cider these days?
  • ciderinsport
    Free Member

In the last few days I’ve seen somersby by carlsberg & carling cider!

I thought Stella and the cidre thing was bad, but… Come on!

I like cider… good cider, sometimes good cheap cider, but good cider!

Who buys this shite?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

people with poor taste and who believe what the TV tells them…

There’s a lot of them about…

aracer
    Free Member

The same people who buy Carlsberg and Carling – or if not the exact same people ones who are very similar. Look on the plus side – it means cider is becoming more mainstream which might mean there are more people drinking proper stuff (I’m a born again cider drinker after getting bought some for Xmas a couple of years ago – more often than not will choose to drink that rather than beer at home, though I’ve yet to order one in a pub).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

white lightening and frosty Jack have been popular for years among a certain group, get over it sweet cheeks, nothing new. Just big brands jumping on the bandwagon after the ship has long since sailed. As said above, some will discover the good stuff, others will wallow for a bit and then go back to whatever pish they drank before.

djglover
    Free Member

Some people just want to get pissed. It’s like driving an old banger or getting the bus for going somewhere, it’s functional, whereas some, who can afford it or are connaisseurs would drive a V12

Northwind

I ordered a koppaberg cider the other night. Turned out it was Pressed Metrosexual Berries or somesuch, it was pink and tasted of jelly. I think in some drinking establishments it would have got me stabbed. (but it was really nice)

It’s not proper cider if it doesn’t come in a jerrycan.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Cider is the new alcopops.

tomhoward

What fourbanger said.

Lambrini do a range ffs

Mugboo

Ooh, now your talking 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Fourbanger is right; the alcopops generation have grown up without an ounce of descrimination over what they pour down their necks and their tastes are now changing; advertising gives cider an edgy urban chic so they are switching over. The drink must be expensive and must have silver foil on the bottle otherwise it can’t be any good.

But it’s garbage and it tastes like garbage.

DrP

Someone I know might really like the Stella cidre… 😳

DrP

tomhoward
    Edric64
    Free Member

Cider should be bought in gallon plastic containers from farms with no health and safety from men you cant understand

globalti
    Free Member

Jesus! That Lambrini is a niche product aimed at girlie drinkers if ever I saw one.

avdave2

It enjoys a lower tax rate than beer so if you sell it at the same price you make a lot more money.

drlex
    Free Member

Cider should be bought in gallon plastic containers from farms with no health and safety from men you cant understand

😳
    This is exactly how I buy it, with the man being my cousin. All that’s missing is a smock…

Edric64
    Free Member

My mate makes the stuff on his farm .There are so many varieties of apples for real cider its great trying different sorts .Can induce the mother of all hangovers though !

Stoner
    Free Member

Real cider production:

That’s Hereford, Worcester and Gloucester = each a tiny 1200 gallons.
    The biggest wooden casks at Westons are Pip, Squeak and King George V (42,000 gallons each)

The best names are Wallace, Grommet, Wendolene, Shaun and Preston.

This is my more modest Stoner’s “Squirrel-Fondler” production facility:

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6mfIpKK82ZQ/Tmo4kYp3kpI/AAAAAAAAAsA/HgmNkyunoWM/s400/IMAG0391.JPG[/img]

Made from a special blend of anything apple shaped, maggots and wasps. It brings tears to your eye, so it does. The perry is far more palatable though.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Living in deepest somerset has its plus sides
    It’s been a winter of night rides followed by a pint of rough on the way home

grum
    Free Member

I like Stella Cidre. I hadn’t realised only niche cider was acceptable (actually I tried some ‘real cider’ once and it was rotten).

jonba
    Free Member

I haven’t had a good cider since I left Somerset. What is the name of the pub conveniently located on the Quantocks?

Proper cider should be opaque or cloudy. Normally pretty high %abv as well which is a shock when you order a pint at 8%

Edric64
    Free Member

The Carew Arms ?in Crowcombe

TooTall
    Free Member

The Head of Steam in Newcastle is starting to stock proper cider – lovely *falls over*

DrP

I recall the time I was holidaying in the West COuntry with friends, and we went into a small country store to buy cider – picked up a bottle of ‘something’ and the chap behind the counter said “you don’t want to buy that – that’s polished up for the tourists”
    Of course we don’t we thought, and bought a ‘tub’ of the cloudiest, most rancid rat urine substance he had.

Cue much wincing after only a few sips, we soon realised that, as tourists, we maybe made the wrong purchase…

DrP

johnellison
    Free Member

I spent quite a while installing packaging machinery and conveyors at Thatchers at Sandford in Somerset a few years ago. Their generic “for public consumption” ciders were nothing special, but they had a little factory shop where you could by the “special cider” in gallon plastic bottles for a fiver a time. They did some called Mendip Dry which was like cloudy piss to look at but good god it got you battered…

patriotpro
    Free Member

I don’t buy Carlsberg or Carling.

Stella Cidre is decent enough when drunk in a glass with ice. The best I have tasted is Aspalls.

Who’d have thought people have different tastes though eh? Just amazing.

cheers_drive

Normal Lambrini has always been Perry – aka pear cider – so it’s not really a big step for them.
    I have Somersby many times in Denmark, it’s not great but it’s not been made as part of this latest cider fad, just new to this country.

The best cider is the colour and translucency of a first of the morning piss.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Having spent nine months working in the QC lab of a cider brewery, I feel many of the niche-mongers would be a little disappointed if they knew where and how some of the boutique brands were made. Oh and grum +1, “real” cider can be absolutely disgusting.

aracer
    Free Member

Cider should be bought in gallon plastic containers from farms

All the worst cider I’ve drunk has come like that. If you’re after cider to get you battered are you really so far away from those drinking Carlsberg cider? I’m with DrP and sticking to stuff which comes in bottles, is quality controlled and not full of muck. Not a niche monger, just like something which tastes nice.

rewski
    Free Member

Westons Dry for me, 8% though, the stuff above is what I call cooking cider, totally drinkable, there’s a great cider and perry shop at Middle Farm East Sussex, well worth a visit if you ever in the area or on the South Downs

billyboy
    Free Member

Henry Weston. It is the only thing that makes any sense.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I cant drink shit.
    One sniff, and I get a flashback.
    15 years old, local park, on my hands and knees, puking 2 litres of stongbow up.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

My Mrs is a Cider buyer for Tesco! 😳

I get a LOT of freebies which is nice, but there is a lot of shite being sold.

It’s a trend thing, Magners revitalised the Cider market for the masses, and you now see loads of people drinking it in the summer swimming with ice. Everyones jumping on the bandwagon trying to grab a share of the market. It’s a HUGE one by the way.

Kopparburg naked apple is nice, it’s no niche scrumpy, but a nice drinkable pint, it’s alright.

D0NK

Who buys this shite?

have you tasted it? Just asking as you didn’t say, I haven’t either so I’ve no idea whether its shite or not. Couldn’t give a monkeys who makes it, it’s all about the taste (that sounds like it might be some products tag lines, any ideas?)

I’ve always drunk cider one of the very few alchoholic beverages I can stomach, but even with cider there’s only a few that I like. Strongbow, westons, stowford press, thatchers* are all ok, like some french ciders, some perrys (perries?) don’t like a lot of the new stuff tho and the red fruit ones just seem weird. I like some scrumpy, don’t think I’ve tried and of the hardcore stuff people are talking about tho.

What’s the deal with ice in cider? is that a “water it down to get the lager drinkers on board” tactic or is it a tradition in some places? Can’t be doing with nu-style cider with ice myself, if I wanted to drink watered down pish I’d drink lager like everyone else 😉

*thachers do some pear cider at about 9% don’t they? 750ml bottle too, tastes lovely but pure rocket fuel.

bigblackshed

I worked for Bulmers for a while. The mill at Ledbury produces, processes and stores all their apple sludge as concentrate. As far removed from wood casks and fermenting vessels as it could be.

The rubbish that went through the mill was whatever was lying on the orchard floor. So the old joke of dead rats and rabbits are true if the guys manning the presses don’t pull them out. The boiling and pasturising gets them in the end though.

ton

i had glass of ‘old rosie’ on saturday.
    now that is proper cider…..too strong for me.

D0NK

‘old rosie’

worst hangover ever!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, I got destroyed on Old Rosie at The Apple in Brizzle. I think it was only during the fourth pint that it hit me. Like a flipping juggernaut. 😆

Tom83

Stowford press is a go to favourite of mine if it’s on tap in a pub. But to be honest. Had a Black Rat the other day, was pretty good.

I’m not too fused on the brand, so long as it tastes nice!

konabunny
    Free Member

the alcopops generation have grown up without an ounce of descrimination over what they pour down their necks and their tastes are now changing

Yeah, not like in our day when we drank sophisticated beverages like Blue Nun, Babycham, Malibu and Hofmeister.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘ok, WTF is going on with cider these days?’ is closed to new replies.