Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ok, we've done winter boots, now what about overshoes?
  • carlos
    Free Member

Currently using some Shimano MW80’s, which are still in pretty good nick for being 3yrs old. But with riding at least 3 times a week and only 1 pair of riding shoes this yr, it can be a pita to dry them for the next outing, so looking at some waterproof overshoes.

So far I’m swaying towards the Endura MT500 camo as they LOOK the most durable/waterproof. But open to other suggestions.

I’m not one for getting off and walking, but I am after a pair that won’t fall apart if the conditions mean I have to.

So what are you all using and what recomendations do you have?

Cheers
    Carl

wwaswas

I think you’ll find overshoes a complete PITA compared with the Shimanos.

If it were me and drying is the issue I’d look at either getting a second pair of shimanos or something like this;

or equivalents. You can ge t big bags of silica gel to shove in shoes to dry them too.

lucien

Assuming you mean XC rather than road, in which case…..
    Mine always get scuffed, broke, ripped, torn over the winter , and therefore don’t last that long. Tend to avoid anything that’s 100% neoprene as they are big, bulky and quite fragile (although they do work) and go for a mixture of materials that reduces bulk and fitting. For off road stuff, I avoid the ones with velcro closure as it just gets clogged with mud, trail debris, sand etc even after washing and they become much less useable. Only other factor for me is then price, ie lower the better – see who’s got a sale or selling cheapo

trail_rat
    Free Member

endura mt500s overshoes over mw80s works for me on ultra cold days

clubber
    Free Member

I find overshoes useless for mtbing if you have to go feet down for more than just the odd traffic light or chat stop. Whether that’s ok for you depends on your riding.

If you’re having problems with wet shoes, how about one of these instead – works a treat for me – dries shoes out overnight without doing it too fast so they crack.

Ski boot dryer:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002Z5682C/ref=asc_df_B002Z5682C9858772?smid=A28XNXRXGMEYZ8&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B002Z5682C

And it has the bonus that you can use it for your summer shoes too during our British ‘summer’s 🙂

br
    Free Member

The Endura’s work great, and while will look tatty after a winter they still work well.

Solo
    Free Member

Whenever I think of overshoes I think of these…

Preferrably in… Tartan ?.
    😯

stumpy01

I’ve used MT500 for years. If you ride predominantly without walking large sections you’ll be fine with them. Mine last several winters. If you ride rocky trails and regularly walk in them, then they won’t last long.

officialtob
    Free Member

Probably a noob/stupid question, but do the MT500’s have cut-out for SPD’s?

bigdaddy

Probably a noob/stupid question, but do the MT500’s have cut-out for SPD’s?

They do – another vote here for using them, I have done for years, both on and off road. Only issue for me is water running down my leg and in the top, but feet stay warm regardless.

davetrave
    Free Member

Pro Venturas here, rubber protected neoprene outer, fleece inner = no cold feet last winter in -10 temps when out night riding… Funny sizing though so check before you buy.

CRC link – other retailers are available…

stumpy01

Another advantage that I always forget to mention is that they keep your shoes from getting covered in mud, so you spend less time cleaning them…

edlong
    Free Member

You’re supposed to clean your shoes? Who knew?

brakes
    Free Member

the zips are crap on the Endura MT500s, mine broke very quickly – the zip puller snapped making the boots very hard to zip up. the toe protection is bulky and overkill. the neoprene is easily damaged. they let water in the bottoms.
    you need to wear them with something over the top of the boot too otherwise water will just run into your shoe.
    I mainly used them for commuting too so they can’t be very good for off-road.
    they’re also not particularly warm if there’s a wind-chill and only keep your feet dry for 30 minutes or so.

those Pro Venturas looks awesome.

tinsy
    Free Member

Not sure your going to find any completely waterproof, best you can hope for is they are warm & keep your shoes pretty clean & not sopping wet, for an inexpensive way of keeping your tooties toastie I find them just right.

Don’t buy any that have zips, it makes them a pain, I got some Altura ones with velcro at the back, done a few seasons of occasional use, bit tatty from sections I have to walk (gayer I know) but do the job.

Sadly they do look like Solo’s slippers.

D0NK

wwaswas

OMG

fricking awesome where can I get some? One for work one for home 🙂

nealy
    Free Member

On One/Planet X overshoes are only a tenner and seem to work ok(ish) at keeping the worst off the shoes then go in the washing machine with the rest of my kit. They’re far from indestructible but they’re cheap so not too painful to replace when they fall apart

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLPXOSH/planet_x_neoprene_overshoes

or an electric boot dryer

or split this between a couple of cotton bags to shove in each shoe then “recharge” on a radiator to reuse it.

wwaswas

DONK, no idea tbh – I just did a google for electric shoe driers – you could try starting at the site on the image and see if they have uk distribution or are on Amazon etc?

MarkN
    Free Member

Some sock filled with cat litter works a treat.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Road or MTB?
    If its road, Prendas:

I used the Shimano boots commuting on the road bike the last 2 winters and they were good. But they are so heavy compared to a good pair of road shoes. Found those overshoes plus good socks to be very warm thus far and when you do get water in there, you are still warm.

I am not sure on how overshoes and MTBing go together though. They’d need to be extra tough.

mattsccm
    Free Member

1 zip puller broke on my MT’s but after heavy use. A bit of wire replaced it until they both fell aprt . I then stuck in new zips. Be warned that they are not waterproof. Ignoreing the hole at the bottom which actually doesn’t matter and the hole at the top which I seal with abit of m’c inner tube, the seam is not perfect. The stitching goes through and they don’t appear to be glued.99% ok though.
    The stitching/glue thing seems normal though.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Gore are good but nothing beats ‘PRO’ IMHO, as good as gore (if not better) at almost half the price!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ok, we've done winter boots, now what about overshoes?’ is closed to new replies.