Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • OK, I give up! Outlook Express HELP!!!
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I've been trying to configure Outlook Express as a way of managing the numerous email accounts I have. But I can't.

I have, according to the ISP, found and registered the correct POP3 and SMTP numbers/codes.
    When I return to Outlook to test the system, it shuts down and I lose internet connection. The messages I got are failure messages.

I am connected through a mobile dongle (3g) and have even tried with ADSL without success, Wndos XP.

Can anyone help before I launch the laptop into orbit???

Thanks from a complete numpty in all things computer.

🙁

shadthebad
    Free Member

The POP3 & SMPT settings are for your email account that you are trying to access, not necessarily that of the ISP, unless you are using their email own email. e.g. example@virginmedia.co.uk would use virgins settings but example@02.co.uk would need 02's settings even if you're using virgin as an ISP.

Also, a few ISP's have different POP3 & SMTP settings if you want to access thier email servers over the mobile network.

I'm not sure that this will solve your problems though as it shouldn't cause Outlook to close. Did you see in the news yesterday about the a virus checker causing computers/programs to constanly close/crash? Windows XP users were the most affected.

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

I think that PCs shutting down problem was a problem with Mcafee http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2010/04/broken-mcafee-dat-update-cripples-windows-workstations.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

And that should have been resolved by McAfee updates by now.

Is it the whole PC that shuts down or just Outlook express?

I would agree that you need to check the POP3 and SMTP settings but as shadthebad said getting these wrong should not cause outlook to crash.

was this working before? have you had any accounts configured before?

donsimon
    Free Member

It's the internet connection which closes down.
    This is the first time I've ever had the need for Outlook.

So, if we look at Yahoo, their guidelines say the POP3 is "pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk" and their SMTP is "smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk", I've tried using with and without "pop" and "smtp" prefixes.

I've just followed the Yahoo instuctions leter for letter. Progress! When I close the box for adding email and try to open "Send" "Receive" a box appears with email name and password, I click "OK" box re-appears without end, then internet connection closes!!!!!!!

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

The recuring request for your e-mail address and password could be the type of security you have selected (secure password authentication and check the "my server requires authentication" settings) but the internet connect dropping could be a diffrent problem.

How do you know that the internet connection is going off line? if you click on start click on run type cmd then click on enter, you should now have a black dos window. if you type
    ping http://www.bbc.co.uk -t
    and leave that running and then try out look express settings again if you see it stop repplying then you will know the internet connection is down.

donsimon
    Free Member

It's a dongle and I can see when it disconnects. I've just checked the "my server requires authentication" settings box and now it tells me it can't connect to the POP server. Checking this box is also against Yahoo's recommendations. 🙁 GRrrrrrrrrrrr!

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh yes. The error message after the recurring message said that the password wasn't recognised. Signed out and back in using said password. Just before it cut inernet connection!!!!!!!

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

Mmmm Outlook express shouldn't cause the dongle to go off line, can you check for driver updates for the dongle and check that windows up dates are up todate?

donsimon
    Free Member

I had a feeling that the disconnection might have been a Vodafone problem rather than Outlook. I'll give it a go on Monday with ADSL, but I'm sure I had exactly the same problems last week when I tried with ADSL.

Thanks for your help.

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

worth checking http://www.update.microsoft.com just to make sure your up todate with outlook express, should only take a couple of minutes (depending on how many updates you need that is…)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘OK, I give up! Outlook Express HELP!!!’ is closed to new replies.