Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Ok, annual wife's birthday pressie Q; To 3g Kindle or not.
  • duckman

First up,thanks for all the Radley related advice last year Ladies,and worrying enough,Gents. This year it is a Kindle that my darling wife is hinting about (by hint I mean a picture of her Amazon wish list avec Kindle printed out and stuck to the fridge,in my gym bag,dash of my car etc.) 🙂 Anyway surely you download the book at home,so why 3g? (£50 extra) If that means mobile browsing she has a crackberry already so why bother. Cheers.

jon1973
    Free Member

so you can download a new book when your on holiday innit.

molgrips
    Free Member

The 3G gives unlimited world wide access forever to both the Amazon store and the entire internet – for free (ie no data charges). That’s worth one off 50 quid to me! It means that you can receive periodicals wherever you are (like newspapers or mags); buy new books when you’re bored of what you have or have finished; wherever you happen to be you can look something up on Wiki or search for local information and so on.

Definitely worth the extra imo. Even if you only go on holiday once a year.

duckman

Aw shecht, guess that is a new headset put off for a while. Thanks Molgrips (I think)

tiggs121
    Free Member

Don’t be so stingy – give her one! 😉

Oh…and buy her a Kindle 3G as well!

mattbee

Wife and I both have Kindles, we went for the wifi only ones. How often are you going to need to download content when not at home or somewhere with a wifi network? If loads, or if you want to download newspapers or jouirnals regularly it may be worth it, but I just use my Desire as a wifi hotspot if I need to and connect through it. Still only takes a minute or so to download a book. Seems like £50 wasted for most people IMO.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

hideous devices, you’re better off with a book and an old lcd calculator if you want a similar effect.

vinnyeh

Went for the 3g, best thing ever imo.

I’ve found the free worldwide internet to be genuinely useful, even if it’s just trying to find a decent place for lunch in a town you’re passing through. Roaming charges on mobiles can be horrific outside the EU if you’re accessing data.

vinnyeh

not much sitting on the fence with this gadget, is there!

stumpy01

molgrips – Member
    The 3G gives unlimited world wide access forever

FOREVER??

I was gonna get my other half one of these for Christmas and was undecided over the 3G or normal.
    Found loads of sites saying that 3G access is currently free, but there is no guarantee of it being so in the future or even that it will be available at all.
    I think I even posed a similar question to the OP’s and some of the responses on here said words to the same effect….

Has this policy changed since Christmas, ‘cos she’s going on about wanting one again……

molgrips
    Free Member

How often are you going to need to download content when not at home or somewhere with a wifi network?

Planes, holiday, out and about, trains. Lots 🙂

I’d say go for the offical case too. Lots of money, but worth it, makes it like a book. OR get a zip out neoprene case as its’ fairly readable on its own too.

I kind of wish I’d got the one with the light too even though it’s 50 notes. Cos I like reading in bed when Mrs Grips is sleeping, and I wouldn’t need a light on. There are clip on lights available but they are more faffy and the official one vanishes when not in use.

vinnyeh

I kind of wish I’d got the one with the light too even though it’s 50 notes. Cos I like reading in bed when Mrs Grips is sleeping, and I wouldn’t need a light on. There are clip on lights available but they are more faffy and the official one vanishes when not in use.

I’m pretty ambivalent about this. Lying in bed I could read one handed 🙂 for hours with the kindle, when the lighted cover’s on it’s a lot heavier, and bulkier, and is, frankly a pain in the wrist.
    On the other hand, I’m on my third Kindle, having broken two already, and this does seem to protect it well.

duntstick
    Free Member

My dearly beloved wants the 3G Kindle as well. Being able to read outside in bright light is a huge plus too.

Can’t help thinking that there must be a colour version just around the corner that would be suitable for pics. Then they’ll have really cracked it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Duckman at least your Ms has been subtle .. Mr MC might say otherwise about me and I’m hoping to get one for my birthday in April! I was thinking of getting one of these cases:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Kindle-Display-Generation-Perfect/dp/B003VPABOG/ref=pd_ys_qtk_wl_img?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1ME2V729DRMMS&colid=E8TPH1TRZIFT&pf_rd_p=217325391&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0PYNJJHGTN4TMZKNACZ3

If indeed I get one 😉 I was thinking that I probably don’t need a light. If I read in bed I have the bedside light on, on the plane there’s the light there. Is it worth an extra £25 for the light? what is the “official” case then?

Think I might jsut e-mail the linky to this thread to Mr MC for comedy value ;-0

PS This may seem really dumb but can you surf internet then on Kindle? I thought you could only log on to get books and that was it? Didn’t think you could looke at Wiki or other sites? But then I am special!!

beinbhan

you can surf on them but it’s bit clunky

avdave2

How often are you going to need to download content when not at home or somewhere with a wifi network?

Planes, holiday, out and about, trains. Lots

Yep you never know when you might have to download a 747 flight manual. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

When you’re waiting for a plane!

avdave2

When you’re waiting for a plane!

Ah I see, I always spend that time in the lounge drinking the free booze. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

In the lounge drinking free booze! How posh are you when you fly?

avdave2

How posh are you when you fly

Not even remotely, I’ve just had the misfortune to spend so much time flying I’ve got a silver card.

samuri
    Free Member

the 3g is invaluable. it was the only networked device we could get working on a train journey through switzerland. And yes, you can surf the internet. It’s a bit limited and it’s 3g so it’s not lightning fast. The interface is very clunky.

you can, ahem, if you know what you’re doing, tether it by USB to a laptop so your laptop gets free 3g.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I probably wouldn’t use it for the internet as I have a HTC Desire but I didn’t realise it’s full capability! Thansk though .. fingers crossed I get one for my birthday?

Any other thoughts on teh case with the light versus others?

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting, samurai. And if Amazon find out? 🙂

datsunman

I went for the non-3G and so far have no regrets, but, I only use books rather than periodicals.

Samuri, interested in the tethering too. Wonder if Amazon are likely to pull the plug on the ‘free’ bit if lots of people start using it tethered…

verses

I kind of wish I’d got the one with the light too even though it’s 50 notes

I refuse to believe there’s anyone on here who hasn’t got a head torch! 😉

Bunnyhop

Now you’re going to need something to put it in 😉
    http://emmyjane-design.blogspot.com/

unovolo
    Free Member

If your after a Colour Kindle then look no further than the Barnes & Noble Nook.

Can even be hacked to run Android 3.0(honeycomb) for those that are interested.

Only downside is I’m not sure if its available to buy for UK peeps.

Flaperon

As of today, I can personally confirm that the free 3G works for internet browsing in:

UK
    France
    Germany
    Holland
    Sweden
    Finland
    Portugal
    Cyprus
    Greece
    Denmark
    Spain
    Bulgaria
    Egypt

Have tested it in all of the above. Interestingly, it didn’t appear to work in Malta, but I only had 5 minutes to try it.

samuri
    Free Member

no idea what amazon would do if they found out. I doubt lots of people will ever do it. There’s a risk of bricking your kindle I guess and it’s probably only for people comfortable with hacking around in debug functions of handheld devices. 😉

I expect they’ll fix it in a later release, it’s only there to allow their engineers to carry out testing.

avdave2

Interestingly, it didn’t appear to work in Malta

What does!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Ok, annual wife's birthday pressie Q; To 3g Kindle or not.’ is closed to new replies.