Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • oil on disc brakes
  • c9tln
    Free Member

i have just managed to get oil on my pads,what's the best bay to cure it? i've got them on the boil now,any other good ideas?

wwaswas

replace them.

they'll never be the same again, ime.

tracknicko
    Free Member

bin them or you will actually die.

just leave them. bit of grit will sort it out as you ride along…

Macavity
    Free Member

oil or dot 4/5.1 ?

retro83
    Free Member

Could never get mine working again even after sanding down/cooking pads and cleaning rotors. Replaced pads and now all good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If its just surface contamination degreasing and sanding can recover them – if its soaked then they are for the bin.

Be careful of the bo1l in detergent – I had a set separate from the backing after doing that

uplink
    Free Member

I'd first off scrub the rotors & calipers with hot water & detergent
    Then take a blow lamp to the pads

I'd change the pads if I had spares though

c9tln
    Free Member

oil not dot fluid,as soon as i realized it was on i got them on the boil so shouldn't be soaked in.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I got some of that dot stuff on mine when i got a bit carried away with my tinkering and twiddled the wrong tit. I cleaned them up but had to sand off the surfaces of the pads a couple of times because they polished themselves. They've been fine ever since.

sofatester
    Free Member

Wee on them and go for a ride.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

While we're talking about oil on brakes, someone told me that if I wasn't going to be using my bike for a while, just dribble a bit of GT85 (or equivalent) on the rotors to avoid surface rust and what not. Will that work or will it just mean when I come back to my bike the brakes don't work?

gonefishin
    Free Member

just dribble a bit of GT85 (or equivalent) on the rotors to avoid surface rust and what not…

Rotors are Stainless Steel so you don't get surface rust. The marks that look like rust will just be dirt and other contaminants from the pads and will clean off without any other problems. Coating your discs in GT85 is pointless in my opinion.

BoardinBob

😆

mrh86

Becky: not something I've heard of doing before. If i was going to do that as a way of preventing rust, i wold store my bike with the wheels off (removing any chance of getting oil on pads), then before putting the wheels back on the bike, clean the rotors thoroughly using isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

Not something I would personnaly do might I add!!

shermer75
    Free Member

I agree with gonefishin. I think someone may have been pulling your leg! 😉

ojom
    Free Member

Rotors are Stainless Steel

incorrect – not all are. in fact the majority are standard every day steel.

Please don't put any GT85 anywhere near your brakes if you would ever like them to work properly ever again.

uplink
    Free Member

Any surface rust that appears on rotors will simply be wiped off the next time you use them

Zoolander
    Free Member

Hot water and degreaser somtimes does the trick. Wash the pads and rotors wth it and then rinse (numerous rinses may be required) then get them hot again by braking. It's worked for me in the past but I'd still change the pads if you have spares.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I had this problem last week after getting some fork oil on my front disc. I just lightly rubbed the pad surface with fine emery, sprayed them with brake cleaner, and then heated the pads with an oxy/acetylene torch.

They work just as good (possibly better) than they ever did. I'm wondering if heating them a bit beyond the temps they've reached on the bike might have actually improved them!

I gave a set contaminated with brake fluid the same treatment too, be interesting to see how well they work!

c9tln
    Free Member

seem to be ok,boiled them for a while then put them in the oven on full wack,off to nidderdale on sun so that will be the test.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Boiling…putting in the oven? Seems an awful lot of effort for brake pads (£13). I'd just by new ones and be done.

c9tln
    Free Member

fitting new xt brakes next week so no point in buying brand new pads for avids for one ride.

andywarner
    Free Member

I can only presume that whoever told you to put GT85 on was on the wind-up. Ride with the brakes pulled on till they're red hot then throw cold water on them. A motorbike trials mate told me that trick and it works everytime for me.

grumm
    Free Member

I've used muc off disc brake cleaner a couple of times before and it's been ok. Brakes were a bit weak at first but then no probs after a while. I think the issue is a bit over hyped tbh.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Yeah. maybe it depends on how badly contaminated they get and by what. I was told that I'd ruined mine (with dot fluid) and that I should change them but they're still going strong.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘oil on disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.