Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Oh well it had to happen I suppose.
  • tyger
    Free Member

Just been notified of redundancy after 14 years. As I’m over 40, what’s the minimum they can offer me? 1.5 weeks per year I seem to remember?

I’m based on the south coast near Portsmouth. Electronics, Photonics, MEMS technology, IT are my main strengths as Technical Business Development Manager. Good market and business knowledge.

It’s odd that a Japanese company would close the positions that it needs in order to grow – that’s accountants for you I guess.

Anyone wanting to grow their business?

Many thanks as always – Paul

matt_outandabout

🙁

druidh
    Free Member

If you are being paid only the statutory amount, this will be governed by:

* How long you have been continuously employed by your employer;

* How your years of continuous service relate to a particular age band;

* Your weekly pay, up to a legal limit, revised as at 1st February 2009 to £350.00.

The amount of redundancy pay is calculated as:

* Half a week’s pay for each full year of service where age during year less than 22

* One week’s pay for each full year of service where age during year is 22 or above, but less than 41.

* One and a half weeks’ pay for each full year of service where age during year is 41+

druidh
    Free Member
    GrahamS

Sorry to hear that. I heard yesterday that we’re looking at lay offs too.

Google for “berr statutory redundancy” for an online ready reckoner.

lastuphills
    Free Member

Think the axe is about to fall for me also….construction industry for me. Looks like a Mc Job for a while

tyger
    Free Member

I have a horrible sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and sense of foreboding and uncertainty plus I have a dependant family too. It’s not a nice feeling, I can tell you.
    The stupid thing is is that I landed 3 x 100k+ opportuntities for my company only this week – I really feel betrayed.
    Aaaargh – where’s my Highland Park LOL !

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I really feel betrayed.

This appears to becoming a common sentiment during the present economic climate.

I can see this recession having the potential for radicalising quite a lot of people. And challenging their previously held rose-tinted view of cosy class relationships in a vibrant capitalist economy.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck tyger 🙁
    But early days yet – think positively and try to look forward to new opportunities 8)

tyger
    Free Member

Thanks ernie – it means a lot – much appreciated. Would love to meet up with you sometime – email me where abouts you are.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that tyger. I think half the workforce in the country will be in the same boat soon though. Maybe a better job will come up in the future though. Not nice to be laid off etc from work, been there before myself.

chewkw
    Free Member

That’s bad news tyger but look on the bright side at least you can now try out whatever is available …

Just keep trying and you will be fine.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Really sorry.

Now you can start your own business and become a rich entrepreneur!

tyger
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – a new day dawning

mugsys_m8

tiggers (tygers….) always bounce back.

Don’t look back, look forward and all that jazz.

I always remember this saying: Experience is not what happens to you, but what you do with what happens to you.

timbur
    Free Member

Hi Paul,

Join the less than exclusive club mate.

I’ve gone from Surveyor to Assistant Manager in a local pub. TBH I’m absolutely loving it! Just keep our heads above water but instead of that nasty person I was turning into I’m back to my old self. I’m also commuting to work on the bike, have lost over a stone in weight without trying (and it’s def not stress!!) and am very happy.

It’ll work out mate. Feel free to email for a phone number if you want to chat it through. Napalm off here put me straight as he’s been made redundant twice now but always bounces back.

Head up, it’s really not the end of the world.

Tim

timbur
    Free Member

Oh, if you are going to stay in the industry then make sure you have all your contacts backed up and any info that “might” be useful.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Tyger:

QinetiQ or Dstl, which ever it is that is now down your way. You may have the skills set that they can use in several depts.

tyger
    Free Member

Hi kevonakona, thanks that could be a good lead! Btw what Kona do you ride?

tyger
    Free Member

druidh – I’m slightly confused. I reckon that I’m due about 15.5 weeks pay minimum but (panicing slightly) are you saying that actually it’s only going to be 15.5 x 350??

Olly
    Free Member

welcome to the STW redundancy club.

tyger
    Free Member

Thanks Olly 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

tyger – that’s how I read it (assuming your 44 then?) – £5,425.

Remember, that’s the statutory minimum. Your employer might offer more.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The above is the legal minimum it may be more (check contract/company policy but it will not be less

tyger
    Free Member

In Europe it’s a very different system apparently?

druidh
    Free Member

Last time I looked the UK was part of Europe?

DezB
    Free Member

Hi Paul, thats crap mate. I’m amazed at the number of posters on here being made redundant – this forum’s a pretty small community and it seems to have been hit quite hard.
    I’m down your way (you sold me some tyres a while back, I think!) and there are many stable businesses.
    hope you find something quick.
    DSTL’s a good lead – they’re up on Portsdown Hill.
    There are often IT opportunities in my company but it’s Healthcare and don’t think your stuff fits in 🙁

juan
    Free Member

What Druidh said about uk and europe.
    Is there such thing as “economical redundancy” in UK?

tyger
    Free Member

DezB are you at what was Tyco Healthcare in Gosport?

druidh
    Free Member

DezB – Member

I’m amazed at the number of posters on here being made redundant – this forum’s a pretty small community and it seems to have been hit quite hard.

OTOH – there’s an amazing number of forumites who seem to be quite ready to spunk a 4-figure sum of money on a hardtail frame which hasn’t even been put in to production yet.

DezB
    Free Member

DezB are you at what was Tyco Healthcare in Gosport?

Damn good guess! Yes, Covidien.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I was made redundant at the end of October. Sat on my posterior until after xmas. Started looking in January, just as the rest of the UK were being made unemployed. I’m lucky enough not to be the main breadwinner but I’m still taking a 10k drop for the job I’m waiting on now!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Tyger – I am in the same boat. Just got an email from a company i have had a couple of really positive interviews with saying they are not persuing the position anymore. Only breadwinner in the family and things look bleak. See my post about technology Ladders. If you are a member of LinkedIn then blast your CV out to all your contacts.

Good Luck

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

DSTL has a few position showing at the moment but ceilinged at £48K

tyger
    Free Member

WCA and DezB – is it okay to contact you? Thanks

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

tyger email away

DezB
    Free Member

Certainly.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Tyger remember you may also be due pay in lieu of notice, so likely 3 months, and the majority of your package will be tax free. Then there will be accrued holidays. I know it’s not great but every little bit helps.

tyger
    Free Member

Thanks Gary.

tyger
    Free Member

WCA – I need you email address please. Cheers

tyger
    Free Member

DezB – YGM cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Oh well it had to happen I suppose.’ is closed to new replies.