• This topic has 51 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Oh no hifi amp is dead – only cheapskates need read
  • TheFopster
    Free Member

I have a Rotel 820BX not being used. In perfect working order, and built using very good components back in the day so should live forever. No bells and whistles but very clean sounding. If you are near MiltonK it’s yours if you can collect…

Oh – has a superb phono stage in case you ever get the vinyl bug!

CountZero

Fopster, that 820 brings back a lot of memories! I love those little amps, so understated, but they sound so good into a pair of B&W speakers, with some QED cables.

RustySpanner

My local place has a RA820-AX for £80.00.
    I’d really love to give it a pop, but it’s a 1989 amp. 😐

They’ve also got a Marantz PM66 SE KI signature.
    Always wanted one, they sound amazing.
    It’s about 15 years old and £200.00 though – I just don’t fancy the odds…..

glenp
    Free Member

Er. Are you really sure it is dead? Any power at all? If not don’t chuck it away without checking fuse in the plug and the internal fuse (very often a spare fuse is either taped or clipped next to the one that is in use). Just saying.

Failing that, Cambridge amps are good and cheap.

footflaps

Have to say I like the look of this:

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, this thread has moved on just a tad! Thanks to all for opinions and suggestions and I did chuckle at those tarty ones. 🙂

Good news to report anyway – I tapped into my wimmins logic and checked everything one step at a time. What seems to have caused the problem was a combination of not quite being plugged in thus wires being pulled due to weight of excess wires all over the place.

So … CD player, amp and tuner all light up and I’m well pleased. 😀

Thanks again. 8)

Nico
    Free Member

Blimey, this thread has moved on just a tad! Thanks to all for opinions and suggestions and I did chuckle at those tarty ones.

Good news to report anyway – I tapped into my wimmins logic and checked everything one step at a time. What seems to have caused the problem was a combination of not quite being plugged in thus wires being pulled due to weight of excess wires all over the place.

So … CD player, amp and tuner all light up and I’m well pleased.

Thanks again.

LOL. At least you got the audiophiles drooling for a while. I was going to say that if you were going to play Crazy Horse at least make sure you stick a knife in the speaker cone first for that “hi fi” effect.

glenp
    Free Member

That the same women’s “logic” that caused you not check it was plugged in? Glad all is well tho!

Taff
    Free Member

Another vote for Richer Sounds. In my seperates days I used to have the cambridge audio. The best one was about £120ish if a I remember rightly. Really good bit of kit

cinnamon_girl

Well, managed to keep Mr Woppit out of the thread! Ah Crazy Horse, haven’t listened to them for a while!

Yes yes wimmins logic. 😆 Everything was plugged in but eight plugs that plugged into more sockets plus weight of stupid speaker cable led to dislodgement. 😳

CountZero

Excellent result anyway. 😀 Anything that means stuff works without spending cash is a very positive thing, glad you got it sorted.

JCL
    Free Member

What about Lavardin?

I actually had an IT a few years back. Amazingly transparent thing but overall the Karan had it slightly beat to my ears. However, they’re both head and shoulders better than that Naim crap 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Oh no hifi amp is dead – only cheapskates need read’ is closed to new replies.