Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Oh no dead bird in the garden
  • cinnamon_girl

😯
    😥

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nice snack for Mr Fox, or an ornament for CG?

Only time will tell… 😉

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Is it a finch of some sort? Last year I had a few birds drop down dead in the back garden. Turns out it was a parasite that was doing them in. If you have any bird feeders or bird baths in your garden it may be worth cleaning them out and making sure the seed in them keeps dry. Otherwise the parasite will have the perfect living conditions and the dead bird won't be the last one you see.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sandwich

cinnamon_girl

It was a dunnock. Very pretty little bird, can only be appreciated through binoculars. I did wonder why I hadn't seen the little birdie for a few days.

Edit: no feeders or baths in my garden unfortunately.

rootes1

Dead?

sure he's not resting?

mamadirt
    Free Member

That was quick. You've done a good job on that one – it almost looks real . . . Oh 😉

belgianbob

Maybe he died from sexual exhaustion? Dunnocks have spectacularly active and promiscuous sex lives, apparently.
    So, don't mourn for him, he died doing what he loved.
    Probably.

hora
    Free Member

Phew when you said dead bird I assumed your partner had a dark secret.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

For those not in the know, Dunnock = Sparrow, 'hedge sparrow' to be precise. 🙂

The Dunnock, Prunella modularis, is a small passerine bird found throughout temperate Europe and into Asia. It is by far the most widespread member of the accentor family, which otherwise consists of mountain species. It is sometimes called the Hedge Accentor, Hedge Sparrow or Hedge Warbler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnock

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I found 1/2 a deer's leg in my garden the other day – I like to think the rest of the deer is happily hopping about somewhere.

kimbers

when you say bird…… do you mean slang for a woman in which case are you……

HeatherBash
    Free Member

That's it – an ex Sparra?

Have you tried twittering this post – its certainly inane enough.

Karinofnine

We had great big windows in one of the houses we lived in when I was a kid – the birds used to fly into them. Sometimes they were just stunned and sometimes they were dead :(.

Solved by putting up net curtains.

yoda
    Free Member

Heather Bash – Member
    That's it – an ex Sparra?

Maybe his chute didn't open! 😆

porter_jamie

we had a pigeon commit suicide by flying into our window the other day. nearly shat me self. poor thing. no idea how it didnt break the window

tootallpaul

Dead vulture lying in the dirt road outside my house the other day.

The living vultures made sure he wasn't there later.

Oooh. Vulture cannibals…

alaric

Only the one bird?

In the last few weeks we've had 2 live mice, several dead mice, 2 Shrews, a Rabbits head, 3 Moles and a Weasel – All left for us by the cat that isn't ours (he "visits from his home more than 1/2 a mile away)!

samuri
    Free Member

We've found the solution to dead birds and rodents that our cat leaves in the garden.

We got a dog. She's always really keen to get out in the garden in the mornings nowadays so she can do a quick scout around and find any headless animals.

Of course, then I have to try and prise the unfortunate animal from her blood covered jaws, which invariable ends with me holding an empty animal skin and the dog munching away on various entrails.

richcc
    Free Member

Alaric. Hang on a minute jumping to conclusions! The cat apologists will be along shortly

Hadge
    Free Member

Heard a small "thunk" on my kitchen window last week and went outside to find a swallow on the floor. It was just stunned so I gently picked it up and held it for a few minutes before releasing to watch it carry on chasing flies above my house. I usually get pigeon "crucifiction" outlines on my bedroom window where they've flown into it and one a while ago was being chased by a Sparrowhawk lol.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

is is legal to trap ferral cats?

get a few in the garden, so can you get a humane trap (non-lethal/injury) trap away, return any tagged ones home (with a note to stop the thing pooping in the kids planter) and send the rest to the local animal sanctuary?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

big_n_daft I would get in touch with your local Cat Protection League, they will deal with feral cats, and will trap them if necessary.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

from their website they will assist with costs to neuter a colony but not trap and remove

http://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/neutering/feral-neutering/

they might be firing blanks but they're still eating the birds and pooping in the planter

cinnamon_girl

Maybe he died from sexual exhaustion? Dunnocks have spectacularly active and promiscuous sex lives, apparently.

OK, thanks for that. I'm coming back as a female dunnock but, I'm clever, I know how to pace myself. 😉

I found 1/2 a deer's leg in my garden the other day

tiger – any idea what sort of deer? Do you still have it?

To everyone else – thank you for your replies and particularly your concern for my grief. 🙄

My houseguest has been nominated to pick up said body and place in dustbin.

As for cats … don't get me started.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

they will assist with costs to neuter a colony but not trap and remove

Oh well, my local Cats Protection League will. From their website :

Homes wanted for Feral Cats
    We always need caring homes for feral cats in barns, at stables or in large gardens. In return for board and lodging they will keep your premises free of mice and rats. For more details see the feral page or to find out more contact us about ferals.

http://croydoncpcats.org.uk/

And I'm not sure how feral cats can be neutered without being trapped 😕

TheDoog
    Free Member

There was a poor pigeon with a large hole in its back hopping round my garden t'other day, it wasn't helped by the sparrow hawk that was astride its back taking chunks out of it. All its pigeon mates were just sat on an adjacent roof watching, looking nonchalent.

CountZero

For those not in the know, Dunnock = Sparrow, 'hedge sparrow' to be precise.

It's not a Sparrow, it's a Dunnock,Prunella Modularis. Sparrows are a different species, Passer Domesticus. Tree Sparrows, on the other hand are Sparrows, Passer Montanus. Dunnocks get called Hedge Sparrows just 'cos they're a SBB. (Small Brown Bird)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Oh no dead bird in the garden’ is closed to new replies.