Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Oh no! Another Magicshine question!
  • PhilO
    Free Member

I see that the UK supplier is offering the head units alone without batteries for a rather tempting £33. The standard battery is 8.4V and the specs on the DX website say that this is the maximum voltage, but does anybody know what the lowest they’ll run at is?

I'm specifically thinking of wiring up a pair in series as auxiliary lamps on the motorbike: with the engine running they should get 14.4V (ie 7.2v each), which I guess should be adequate to light them up… Can anybody confirm?

thepodge
    Free Member

In a roundabout way I've wondered similar as the lights on my bike are total parp

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Voltage depends on how you wire them – Parallel or series. Is it possible to get a voltage dropper to power them?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    marco
    Free Member

Is it possible to run two head units from one battery?

uplink
    Free Member

I can't see why it wouldn't work

PhilO
    Free Member

Voltage depends on how you wire them – Parallel or series.

Yep! That would be why I was careful to state 'two in series'. 🙄 😉

Is it possible to get a voltage dropper to power them?

I'm sure it would be possible to make an 8.4V voltage regulator, but my skills are not in that area* – so I thought I'd consider the easy option first.

So, anybody got one they can put a voltmeter across when the battery's tired?

*ETA: Of course, if anybody can supply a circuit diagram and parts list to make a suitable regulator, I'd be eternally grateful for that, too. 😛

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry, reading too fast! 😳

Only one way to find out!

Wally

PP YGM

smudge
    Free Member

The overdischarge voltage will be approx 2.3V per cell +/- 0.1V So say about 4.6V +/- 0.1V as the limit before they switch off.

Marco, depends on how much current is being drawn by both lights when on and the current limit on the protection circuit of the battery, switching the second light on may well trip the protection circuit.

Ideally 2 lights & 2 batteries, should one fail you have a backup and not sudden darkness 😯

trout
    Free Member

If you wired them to the motor electric system my guess is 2 dead lights

You would need to have an 8 volt limiter of some kind

Also the drivers in most lights will not like the very dirty electricity from a motor charging system

Xylene
    Free Member

Would buying the light unit only and then using a better quality RC battery pack be an option?

Something like that http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-4V-NiMH-3800mAh-Battery-Pack-RC-Tank-Car-Airsoft-/180460326781?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN

rockhopper70

magicshine UK sell a y-spiltter cable for this very purpose…

Chris-S
    Free Member

Yes

Just done it myself. Run time of battery reduces by 50%

thekingofsweden

Simple physics really VIR

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Oh no! Another Magicshine question!’ is closed to new replies.