Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Oh my word, the village I grew up in – Poynton – is in the Dail Fail!
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

And it’s not like that can ever be a positive thing:

An Aldi? Near Waitroise? What will the neighbours say

I haven’t lived there since 1992 and while still fond of the place (my parents still live there) I do think it a bit up itself when I go back. But this is just silly.

slowoldman

So a couple of nobs say no and apparently the place doesn’t want it?

badnewz
    Free Member

Link: overuled!
    A shame as I like to keep a sharp eye on supermarket developments in Poynton.

Bregante

Crikey geetee, I didn’t realise you were straight outta Poynton….

Stainypants

They already have a Weatherspoons and an ASDA, I’d say the ALDI was in-keeping with the rest of the village.

IHN

It’s an entire story made up from one post by one knob.

But, saying that, it’s not the village we grew up in.

Stoner
    Free Member

no “village” has an Aldi or a Wetherspoons. Let alone a Waitrose.

You mean town.

IHN

That’s exactly my point.

boxelder

Village – with an Asda and ‘spoons?
    Town surely…

julians
    Free Member

It’s not town either Imo ,it’s just a suburb of Manchester,like all the rest of the ‘villages’ in the area

julianwilson
    Free Member

Saltash (small town across the river from plymouth, home of excellent railway bridge) has a waitrose and an lidl about 100 yeards from each other. If you are local you will soon begin to recognise the very posh cars that pull out of one supermarket to go directly across the rundabout to the other.

geoffj

Our Aldi is directly next door to the M&S food hall. I use the same trolley in both shops.
    Perfect combo of general groceries and higher quality stuff and saves having to go to Tesco.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Didn’t a contestant on Bake Off recreate Poynton in gingerbread?

chakaping
    Free Member

Saw this on a slightly more reputable news site (than the Mail) and thought “when did local newspaper nutjob stories start going national”?

I guess the answer involves the Mail’s insatiable appetite for content and its audience’s appetite for disapproving of others.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Surprised they’re not in the newspaper for the most hated/dumbest council idea of a ‘shared space’ roundabout…..it’s bonkers how they thought it was a good idea…

julians
    Free Member

agreed, that road system is awful

martinhutch

Crikey geetee, I didn’t realise you were straight outta Poynton..

Wrong pic.

binners

Another interesting fact is that Poynton accounts for over 80% of Range Rover Evoque sales, nationally. All of them in white. True fact!

vickypea
    Free Member

What amuses me is that Poynton calls itself a village despite having an Aldi, Waitrose, Wetherspoons, and quite a lot of other shops, restaurants and facilities.
    On the other hand, Bollington, a few miles down the road boasts of being a town, when it has a small post office, doctors surgery, a butchers and very little else!

RustySpanner

Can’t we just move Cheshire down south somewhere?
    How about Hertfordshire?
    Let’s get rid of that, no one’ll miss it.

We could then extend Wales east a bit, or give Manchester a bit more breathing space.

Bregante

If Cheetham Hill can call itself a village then I have no issue with being a Hamlet/ whatever the hell else it wants to call itself.

IHN

Another interesting fact is that Poynton accounts for over 80% of Range Rover Evoque sales, nationally. All of them in white.

Again, it’s not the village I grew up in.

Although I take the point about Bollington. However, in Bollington it’s still about 1854, when anywhere big enough to have a doctor’s surgery was classed as a town 🙂

Cheshire is much maligned TBH. The image of the Evoque driving WAG has overshadowed what is, in the main, a very pretty, very friendly mostly rural county. And Cheshire cheese is the best cheese in the world, and that is a stone-cold FACT.

trailhound101

Binners – you are confusing Poynton with Prestbury… Evoque and champagne capital of the Cheshire Golden Triangle.

binners

Ah… must remember to double check the coordinates before calling in the air strike

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ah, Bollington, the town/village famed for having the highest concentration of pubs of any town or village in the country. I would have thought Poynton was more of an Aldi town than a Waitrise town. I guess the Waitrise is to hook all the youths with ambitions too one day move to the dizzy heights of Wilmslow.

vickypea
    Free Member

IHN- I agree with you that Cheshire gets a bad press, mainly because of places like Prestbury. I live in Bollington and I love it. Walks and bike rides from the door, peace and quieT, down to earth, and not a single white Land Rover Discovery in sight.

slowoldman

in Bollington it’s still about 1854,

Not at all. It’s a great place. Knocks spots off Poynton.

MrOvershoot

I live in Cheshire, but it’s about as far geographically in Cheshire you can get from Poynton 40 miles approx. Not many white Evoques here but 2 miles north in Heswell its wall to wall in them?

chakaping
    Free Member

I think Binners may have been mixing it up with Knutsford or Alderley Edge?

We almost moved to Poynton, place seemed nice and sleepy – bit blue rinse if anything – I think it was mainly the ridiculous route back to the M6 that put us off in the end.

njee20
    Free Member

What amuses me is that Poynton calls itself a village despite having an Aldi, Waitrose, Wetherspoons, and quite a lot of other shops, restaurants and facilities.

You don’t decide to “call yourself” anything, there are slight difference between the two.

St Davids is tiny, but it’s a city. That doesn’t mean that any of the other, far bigger, towns can call themselves a city. Same goes for village/town. You need a town council for a start, not a parish council.

I grew up in a village with a Sainsbury’s, M&S, Boot’s, Superdrug and about 10,000 residents. Still a village.

Moses

Surprised they’re not in the newspaper for the most hated/dumbest council idea of a ‘shared space’ roundabout…..it’s bonkers how they thought it was a good idea…

Escept that it’s cut accidents and made life much easier for pedestrians & cyclists since it was implemented.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

or give Manchester a bit more breathing space.

Lebensraum for Manchester eh !

Ah, Bollington, the town/village famed for having the highest concentration of pubs of any town or village in the country.

Not that one, last heard it was Penrith ! it also used to apply to Gibraltar

RustySpanner

I thought it was Heywood that had the most pubs?

Bregante

It was at one time Rusty.

72 pubs (I grew up in one of them) and 30,000 people. Sadly a huge number have shut.

Edukator
    Free Member

I thought we were making real progress as a community with the opening of Waitrose in 2012.

‘However with the opening of Aldi I feel as though we are taking a step back into the lower class.

‘Are we not sick of young vandals harassing the town?’

Clearly the random unrelated thoughts of a dementia sufferer, poor thing. Euthanasia being illegal these poor people have to go on suffering, very sad.

allfankledup

I live in Cheshire, but it’s about as far geographically in Cheshire you can get from Poynton 40 miles approx. Not many white Evoques here but 2 miles north in Heswell its wall to wall in them?

Heswall used to be Hesslewell, a water source in the lower village apparently, but the Wikipedia entry is quite interesting – avg. income of 46k per household making it the 7th richest neighbourhood in the UK.

It’s not the place I grew up in……

Heswall has been stowed out with folk buying the latest trendy motor. Has to be top of the list for drivers without s scooby. The stw massive could base a whole new forum on some of the behaviours seen there as the norm. Wouldn’t go back….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They have Waitrose in the grim Northern wastelands now?

Whatever next!

MrOvershoot

allfankledup – Member
    avg. income of 46k

Think they must have missed a “0” there The M&S food hall car park is often full of Astons/Bentlys etc though the Aldi is too.

But as you say the driving standard is shocking.

MartynS

Waves at IHN and GT..

there’s also a nice Greggs in Poynton but you’ll be pleased to hear the strawberry pig is still there, as is Il pomodoro.

I LOVE the fact some old herbet clearly preferred the derelict petrol station and arena gym building to a new store..

oh and Binners, you really are thinking of Prestbury..

project
    Free Member

Heswall has been stowed out with folk buying the latest trendy motor. Has to be top of the list for drivers without s scooby. The stw massive could base a whole new forum on some of the behaviours seen there as the norm. Wouldn’t go back….

i shop at Heswall, very poor class of drivers there,aim and drive, Delorean parked in car park a few months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Oh my word, the village I grew up in – Poynton – is in the Dail Fail!’ is closed to new replies.