Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Oh it's depressing – Car insurance
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

Lad at work has had a nightmare getting his type r civic insured. He’s 40 this year, has 18yrs without a claim. His renewal went up 200 quid, he shopped around and most insurance were coming in at over a grand. Think he got it down to 700 in the end

TexWade
    Free Member

I once did some work for an insurer, and the chief exec told me one of the main reasons why car insurance has not been very profitable across the industry for the past few years was personal injury claims. I think as a rule car insurance is now more profitable presumably because premia are up.

I am pretty sure it’s not a cartel just because it’s compulsory – so is food and not sure the supermarkets are cartels either. The reason they are all hiking prices at the same time is that they all face the same risk ie you crashing your car and the same inflated claims that go with it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

~MRS T-R 24 with 1 years ncb = 500 quid third party on a T reg 1.5 mazda 323 (the worst car ive ever had the misfortune to drive)

add me – 25 with 3 years NCB = 250 fully comp

me on my own same car = 150 quid

my van – , 1.9 D = 600 on my own , but 398 with her added.

madness.

never mind if she gets the job near my work next year we shall be scaling it down to 1 car (well actually we already have as her 323 went to the scrappy at the weekend bag of shite ! )

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m more depressed about the fact that me and the wife can both insure through Saga now, £200 for fully comp on a new Yaris diesel though 😀

IanW
    Free Member
    Margin-Walker
    Free Member

are people aware that insurance companies charge solictors a referall fee (on average over £500) to deal with PI claims – its a nice revenue stream for them.

government has reformed claims process in april last year and solictors costs are vastly reduced and fixed on all claims under £10,000 ( which probably covers about 85% of all claims. no pure whiplash claim is worth more than £4500/500 (and rarely are they this high))

Uninsured drivers are a MASSIVE problem and the MIB who deal with such claims are funded by other law abiding drivers via their inurance premium.

Fraudulent claims are not as widespread as people percieve.

Young drivers end up in some of the most horrific claims we see. Speed usually an issue , rolling cars , numbers of passengers. Pensioners also involved in a number of accidents but usually less ‘exciting’ claims and down to them ‘not seeing stuff’.

I am sure the motor element of the insurers business props up other less profitable areas of the company.

Large repairers are ususally nailed down on low labour rates (volume work) so I doubt thats an issue.

Credit hire is another massive problem which has come to the fore again.

Olly
    Free Member

my best quotes have always been with Swift, and Elephant.

sure they may not be quite as helpful in a bump, but they cost loads less.
    also, putting my mum on my insurance pulls it down a fair few hundred quid!
    i dont think she even knows she is on it, but its perfectly legal.

Girl friend bumps it up 17 quid :s

Sandwich

Just to illustrate the oddity of premium setting. 18 year old Sandwich Junior was quoted £1300 for no NCD if he passed his test, he duly failed but was insured with Admiral on a multicar policy as a learner for a month while we waited for a March re-test. On passing his test the premium was £1k with his mum as a named driver.

br
    Free Member

Just got the wife’s renewal through too; £435 last year, £560 this year…

AdamW
    Free Member

Got mine through last month: £420 full on a 9 year old yaris with 9+ years NCD. Direct line. Got it for £200 from the AA.

Interestingly enough I was in the other half’s car last year and it got bumped. Slightly. We now keep getting automated calls about compensation due to us. Lawyers chasing after fees that are causing my premiums to go up each year. Gits!

TheFlyingOx

I can’t believe some of the prices and situations quoted here.

I’m 31 with just 1 years ncb, got a 2.5L V6 twin turbo uber-estate, 300-odd horsepower, modifications declared, looks like it’s worth nicking, I live in one of the less salubrious postcodes of Edinburgh, I’ve got an SP30 and 2 years ago had an own-fault crash that ended up being an insurance write-off, and yet my insurance is £528 fully comp. Down from about £700 last year. Granted, the renewal was £800-somthing, but like beej I just gave them the online quote reference from their own website with the low price and that was that. How can I get such a deal, and yet Mr 40 year old, 18 years claim-free with a CTR can’t get under £700?

Elephant.co.uk by the way.

saleem
    Free Member

I’m 36 and only passed my test last year, was getting silly quotes too,Spent 3 days on the web solid checking out all the companies and sites but I ended up going with A-plan as they were a fraction of the price of everyone else,£39 a month for my Ka, my girl was with quickfit for 5 years and had full no claims and was being quoted £680 for her 52 plate focus, went to A-plan too and got it for £300.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Oh it's depressing – Car insurance’ is closed to new replies.