• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by T1000.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Oh, goodie. The Malvern conservators are banging that drum again…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/14402703.New_code_of_conduct_tackles_cycling_problems_on_the_Malvern_Hills/

“cycling problems” or “shit-stirring by blue-rinse agitators” as it’s also known

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes Bloody Tories eh Stoner…bloody Tories

See you at the Barricades Comrade

EDIT: One of those though there are folk on here happy to ride on SSSI footpaths and the like so lets not pretend every cyclist rides responsibly

See this is why we need a big state to intervene for the betterment of all people 😉

Is it a real problem there or are they just moaning types

Round here its fine in winter until the fair weather walkers turn up and lecture you

wwaswas

a small minority causing problems for other users of the hills, they are giving all mountain bikers a bad name

no one ever says this about dog walkers with badly behaved dogs or walkers who leave gates open.

only cyclists get the ‘giving them all a bad name’ line.

Stoner
    Free Member

Barricades Comrade

A scheduled ancient monument. No cycling allowed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Tell that to the Muslims- every thread need a bit of politics 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

A scheduled ancient monument. No cycling allowed

In Malvern are you sure its really important?

Stoner
    Free Member

a small minority causing problems for other users of the hills, they are giving all mountain bikers a bad name

no one ever says this about dog walkers with badly behaved dogs or walkers who leave gates open.
    only cyclists get the ‘giving them all a bad name’ line.

Someone, ahem, named MJ has made a similar point in the comments section. We’ll He’ll see how many nut jobs that draws out from behind their Daily Telegraph

wwaswas

Someone, ahem, named MJ has made a similar point in the comments section

I rarely read the comments, they’re always full of nutters 😉

40mpg

We had a similar ‘code of conduct’ produced under similar circumstances round my way (New Forest). Pretty ineffectual – won’t change the eejits from being eejits and giving all ‘cyclists a bad name’ but at least made the moaners feel like they were achieving something.

jimw
    Free Member

As one member of the working party who have been meeting with the conservators to develop a dialogue between them and a number of local mountain biking groups can I put a slightly different perspective on this.

Beck Baker the conservation officer, Rich one of the wardens and the new director are genuinely engaged with trying to improve the situation for all concerned. They are well aware that part of the issue is that their signage, website etc.etc. actually gives a very poor understanding about what is regarded as OK to ride and what is not. They are in the process of opening up further permissive routes to enable ‘sensible’ circular routes south of the Wyche and beyond British camp (although the latter is more problematic). They are also well aware that educating people to ride more ‘sensibly’ is going to take time.

They are now much more aware that most people who regularly cycle the hills are polite, sensible and cause no issues with other users. That press release was in part aimed at those who are cutting new trails on SSSI’s. They Have a legal obligation to protect such sites.
    Believe me it has been toned down from the original version. They are also well aware that most of the people who complain about cyclists also complain about other users. The intention is to have similar working groups with walkers, horse riders etc.

I for one have been willing to put time into this as I believe contact and dialogue does change perpectives. Certainly the feedback we have had from Beck Baker has been to the effect that she personally has changed her opinion about the majority of cyclists.

T1000
    Free Member

jimw
    Free Member

T1000. Please bear in mind that the article in the Malvern Gazette is a very selective overview of what has been discussed.

One of the aims of the working group has been to identify sensible routes – and by that I mean routes that cyclist would actually want to ride- could be encouraged to reduce pinch points and encourage the use of the hills for all. The latter is well understood by the Conservators, but unfortunately Stoner is right it will flush out the NIMBY’s

Stoner
    Free Member

Baker came out with the original twaddle 6 months ago when she arrived in post and made it clear she hadn’t a clue. If that has changed then that’s progress.

Rich I get on with well and know he has no axe to grind. The shit drops from above not up from the wardens.

And what of our invisible new director from Isle of Man?

Jim, I applaud your efforts but I think it’s back to front from the conservators. Start from the basis that nearly all mtbers on the hill are sympathetic, improve signing style, language and route planning and then be specific about individuals being anti social rather than groups.

Their approach will not reach the dicks, but continues to antagonise everyone else at the behest of ultra conservative, bilious busy bodies.

andyl
    Free Member

Thought the title said Malvern Conservatories and was wondering what a company making sunrooms had against cyclists.

Alex

I try not to ride in the Malverns when I know it’s going to be busy. It’s a small area with a relatively large catchment. Most of which are walkers. I’ve seen some pretty bad behaviour from riders but it’s a tiny percentage to those who understand we are sharing a valuable trail network with lots of different users.

Probably 1 cheery ‘hello’ in 20 gets no response or some grumbling. I can imagine such people take umbrage at what they see is unacceptable behaviour from mountain bikers. Some of it is valid I guess, some less so, not going to change tho.

The trail building is also not absolutely clear cut. I totally get the SSSI thing but also that land has evolved over 1000s of years Trying to maintain it as a victorian pastiche seems a little *well* odd to me.

Anyway there’s strong views on all sides. My plan is to ride when there’s less people to complain for good reason or other 😉

MoreCashThanDash

As one member of the working party …… can I put a slightly different perspective on this

Away with you, leave us to our conclusion hurdling, knee jerking, lazy stereotyping internet whataboutery!

But good on you for being involved and trying to be positive

ninfan
    Free Member

May just be me, but I thought that story was, overall, bloody positive

Authorities a ticket engaging with the MTB community and the MTB community actively engaging with the authorities, everyone keen to minimise what conflict (real or perceived) there may be and work together to find solutions

Breath of fresh air!

jimw
    Free Member

And what of our invisible new director from Isle of Man?

He was at the last meeting and I think by the end of it had a much clearer understanding of the issues.

Start from the basis that nearly all mtbers on the hill are sympathetic, improve signing style, language and route planning and then be specific about individuals being anti social rather than groups.

this is exactly position all of the cyclists on the working group have tried to hammer home at each meeting.
    It is the conservators who write the press releases, although with input from the whole group, and it is thier perspective that is inevitably projected. It was intended to be a positive message.
    As you have mentioned one of the issues is that the elected board of conservators are generally very conservative minded and the latest elections have made this position considerably worse- the more progressive members have either resigned or been demoted from influential positions. The crap then gets pushed to the employed staff ……

T1000
    Free Member

jimW I removed my comments as I was unaware of your engagement (as you posted just before me) good luck with making progress with the conservators.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Oh, goodie. The Malvern conservators are banging that drum again…’ is closed to new replies.