Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Oh dear… what to do… Mojo HD or Yeti ASR7?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Been on the waiting list for a Mojo HD for a while now, deposit paid and all… but have just seen the ASR7 on special at Evolution for £780 and it’s very tempting to switch my plans… a £1000+ saving over the Mojo is very tempting!

Don’t suppose anyone has happened to ride both?

The aim of this bike is to be my ‘One Bike’ for everything other than general XC (so trail centres, Alps, light DH runs, ‘freeride’ etc etc), any thoughts on which would be the way to go?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d go HD, would rather the new 575 over the ASR7 as ‘the one’ bike anyway.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve had a (different) Yeti and loved it. Top warrenty support too.

udder
    Free Member

Get a Carbon Nomad. Probably the best bike out there at the moment.

psychle
    Free Member

My first full-suss was an ASR-sl, still have it actually (now my wife’s bike, though I steal it back occasionally!), great bike bit a little low on travel for me, perfect for her though. Been to a few Tribemeets and really like the Yeti brand, though quite like Ibis as well!

Liking the fact the ASR7 will take a Hammershmidt…

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Why such bike snobbery, a Rocky Slayer sxc would do the job nicely and would hold it’s own better.

I’ve been where you are now and can report a fancy bike makes you feel empty inside unless you ride it good and hard 😛

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I know where you can get a Slayer frame new for about £500 if of interest….. Otherwise I’d say save a K and go Yeti.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Physcle – Be honest with yourself. Eventually you’ll own a Mojo HD. The Yeti is going cheap as it doesn’t really have a place in UK riding.

psychle
    Free Member

The Yeti is going cheap as it doesn’t really have a place in UK riding.

Pretty similar frames I’d have thought? Geometry wise they’re both 67degree HA, ASR7 has a slightly longer wheelbase at 1130mm vs 1114mm, chainstay length is about the same at 430mm for the Yeti and 435mm on the Ibis… the Mojo is a bit longer in the toptube (in medium) at 587mm vs 574mm on the ASR (in small). So quite similar on paper?

135mm x 12mm bolt through rear, tapered headtube, 6.5/7″ of travel, designed for a 160mm fork and both pitched as all-day ‘do everything’ frames, they seem to be selling to the same market to me or am I missing something?

Psychle – Be honest with yourself. Eventually you’ll own a Mojo HD

Probably true, I’ll always lust after the Mojo if I don’t get one, it’s been on my radar for 3 years now (first the classic, then the SL and now the HD!), probably about time I scratched the itch… but my personal circumstances may be changing at the moment, so a £1000 in my pocket is very tempting, and it’s not like I’m not a Yetifan to start with, or the company is a poor one, quite the opposite…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Psychle – I’m coming from a very similar position to you and I’m looking for the same bike.

5 bikes down the line I still want a Mojo. Read up on the new 575 and see if you still want the Yeti7. I’ll not mention the other bike on my radar that might fit the bill as I don’t want anyone else on the waiting list…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dont bother with either, just buy a full build Specialized/Trek/Giant/Cube/Lapierre or something like that and save yourself a load of money.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If both were available, I’d pick the hd but any bike you can ride right now is better than one you’ll be waiting another 6 months for.

vinnyeh

Go with the ASR7. If you own an HD it’ll just devalue them.

The bikeradar review of the ASR7 was enough to steer me clear to be honest- suggests that it certainly doesn’t belong around Peaslake.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll always lust after the Mojo if I don’t get one, it’s been on my radar for 3 years now

Dont bother with either, just buy a full build Specialized/Trek/Giant/Cube/Lapierre or something like that and save yourself a load of money.

Yeah, why bother getting something you’ve been lusting after for years when you could get something ordinary. 😕

psychle
    Free Member

If you own an HD it’ll just devalue them

Ooooo, that’s a bit harsh innit? 😥

Mintyjim

Never mind which one! Where is this Yeti available at £780 please?!
    Thanks

geetee1972
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden the current generation Yeti but I’ve ridden the Mojo HD in both 160mm and 140mm settings. I’ve also ridden the Yeti ASX, which I guess the ASR-7 is the spiritual successor to, although the ASR7 is quite a bit lighter.
    It’s still significantly heavier than the Mojo HD though – 7.5lbs versus 6.2lbs, assuming that both are being quoted on their respective sites as with a damper. That means you’ll struggle to get the Yeti much below 30lbs. Not impossible, but you’re going to have to be very judicious with your parts selection and generous with your budget.
    Ultimately, whatever you might save on the purchase, you’ll probably spend trying to make the bike light enough for any meaningful UK trail use.
    The Mojo HD on the other hand, is very versatile when you consider it can be built as either a 140mm or 160mm bike. The crucial benefit that that offers is the chance to run a 140-150mm fork, Revelation or Fox 32, which will save about three quarters of a pound over a Fox 36 and 1.5lbs over a Lyrik, without adding to the budget (unless you decide to run two forks depending on what you want to do that day!)
    The HD in 140mm is low, pedals supremely well – better than anything else I’ve tried including multiple horst link bikes – is quick across the ground and accelerates amazingly well. In 160mm mode it still doesn’t feel unwieldy, in fact it doesn’t feel like it has 160mm of travel, actually it feels more like 140mm until you need the extra give. It sits a little higher in its travel though so it feels taller than it might otherwise suggest on its numbers. It might be that the Yeti is slightly better set up to descend balls out than the HD in 160mm but I doubt it pedals or accelerates anything like as well as the Mojo. The Mojo does feel like a cruise missile in 140mm mode. The perfect UK agro trail bike maybe?
    Ultimately are they not very different bikes? The geometry might be similar, but the two bikes could end up riding really very differently depending on how they sit into and use their travel. I think the Yeti is probably more DH orientated whereas the Mojo can cut it across all terrain. Let’s not forget that Brian Lopes raced one at the Canberra World Champs and did pretty well on it!
    Finally, the argument for saving £1000 is a non-argument based on the fact that if you’ve already ordered a Mojo, then you can already afford one.
    A year down the line, that money you saved will be irrelevant and all you’ll be left with is the question of whether you got the right bike or not. Without the ability to truly adapt the bike to the UK, I’d say the Yeti is a poor choice compared to the flexibility of the Mojo.

takisawa2

Regret the one you did buy, not the one you didnt. 😉

I baulked at replacing my SWorks Enduro with a Ventana, but glad I did. Nice as the SWorks was, the Ventana is in a different league.

vinnyeh

oops, sorry. Should have put a smiley on it. 😕
    By way of recompense you’re welcome to borrow mine for a day sometime if you want to try it out.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mojo HD can also be built with a 180mm fork.
    Sod it. I think they’re rubbish.
    Can you get your deposit back? If not I’ll give you 50% of what you paid and take it over for you, because I’m nice like that.

hora
    Free Member

I also saw the ASR at that price.

The reviews make it a very mixed bag and point to it being not really good/gawky unless its a wide open fire road.

Its cheap but not cheap enough. Dont buy a frame just because its ‘cheap’.

Theres cheap and a bargain. Neither those words go together.

swisstony
    Free Member

I bought a 7 frame at that price but haven’t built it up yet as i’m waiting for my new wheels.

I did a LOT of research and found that most bikes in this category are very similar in terms of geometry and the reviews seemed very good as well.

Oh and I’d budgeted £1500 for a new frame and i was going to transfer my old bits but at £780 i’ve been able to get new wheels, drive train, KS post and other shiny bits for the same money!

There’s a review on here if you haven’t seen it

http://www.singletrackworld.com/reviews/yeti-asr7/

neninja
    Free Member

Not usually a fan of Scott bikes but for a 160mm+ travel do anything bike the Scott Genius LT should be considered.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I got an ASR7 just before Xmas and I love it. Less than 30lbs pretty easily with Floats and Crossmax SX. It replaces an Orange Alpine and is lighter and just as capable. It’s a flipping solid bike and now at a killer price.

As for the barmy comment above to buy a Giant and the like, what mainstream frame can you buy for £780?

hora
    Free Member

Or spend alittle more and buy something better?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

For instance?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

As for the barmy comment above to buy a Giant and the like, what mainstream frame can you buy for £780?

I dont know, but I told him to buy a full build rather than a frame. Cant you read?

hora
    Free Member

Santa Cruz, spend a wee bit more (well you need all the bits) and get a full bike i.e. lapierre.

I never quiet ‘got’ Yeti’s – look lovely visually but thats it.

BadlyWiredDog

Don’t people test ride bikes before buying them any more? I know it’s not always easy to find the exact bike you’re looking at, but blowing thousands on a frame based on net blah, mag reviews and a bunch of geometry stats which may or may not be correct, seems slightly bonkers to me. No offence, but it seems like a potentially very expensive game of mountain bike routlette. No wonder the classifieds are stacked with barely ridden kit, eh.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I dont know, but I told him to buy a full build rather than a frame. Cant you read?

Perfectly well thank you. But I’ll ask the question again to help the hard of thinking; what frame can you buy for £780? If you buy a full build you’re compromising on spec. Always.

If you know what you want you’ll build your own. If not you’ll buy what the manufacturers want to sell you. It’s rarely the same thing.

hora
    Free Member

Don’t people test ride bikes before buying them any more? I know it’s not always easy to find the exact bike you’re looking at, but blowing thousands on a frame based on net blah, mag reviews and a bunch of geometry stats which may or may not be correct, seems slightly bonkers to me. No offence, but it seems like a potentially very expensive game of mountain bike routlette. No wonder the classifieds are stacked with barely ridden kit, eh.

Bingo! and spend gawd-knows how many rides trying to get on with it. I’m guilty of that in the past.

You have an ace-resource within your own riding groups- simply ask to swap bikes for a descent etc to get a feel of someones new steed etc.

Or….

Buy a Lapierre.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Don’t people test ride bikes before buying them any more?

I know that this is received wisdom, but these days there are so few bad bikes out there that they all typically fall into one of two categories

Bikes that feel right from the minute you ride them and bikes that feel right after about half a dozen rides.

If you make your selection based on a frame/bike having about the right amount of travel, about the right geometry, about the right weight, then these days it’s almost perfectly legitimate to say, I’ll have that one because I like the colour, or because I like the retailer, or I like the brand.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Or….

Buy a Lapierre

The guy who bought my Alpine had a Lapierre Spicy and hated it. Why would ‘buy a Lapierre’ be an answer to every question?

He loves the Alpine, it’s just what he was after. Who knew?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you know what you want you’ll build your own. If not you’ll buy what the manufacturers want to sell you. It’s rarely the same thing.

Yeh, Ive never bought a full build and I also havent done a custom build either. I aint had a full new bike for ages.

But if your worrying about money, then a full build off a manufacturer is the way to go, no faffing.

Even if you do a custom build, if your struggling with cash then your going to have to make compromises.

hora
    Free Member

Anyone see the Orange founder on ‘the Lakes’ prog last night?

psychle
    Free Member

I have all the bits for the build (been picking up bargains etc as they come along), just need a frame… spec so far is: BOS Deville fork, Mango King hubs + Flows, Formula The One brakes, Specialized Command Post, Point One racing 70mm stem and pedals, Sram X0/X9 gearing, Saint cranks, MRP guide + bash… so all good gear 🙂

Good words from Geetee, thanks for your thoughts… I reckon I will hang out for the Mojo, in the end it is my dream bike and this is probably the last time I’ll be able to splash out like this, so better make it count! I bought an Enduro SL at the end of 2009 on sale instead of going for a Mojo SL, in the end I was always thinking about the Mojo whilst riding the Spesh, absolutely nothing wrong with the Spesh but the ghost of the Mojo was always there… in the end I sold the Enduro and put the order in for the Ibis, so that probably says something!

Regret the one you did buy, not the one you didnt. 😉

It’s just that the Yeti is a bloody good deal, and on paper it looks to be almost identical to the Ibis in many ways (geometry wise at least, I know it’s a bit heavier), strange that the ASR seems to be getting a quite different review conclusion to the HD?

BadlyWiredDog

I know that this is received wisdom, but these days there are so few bad bikes out there that they all typically fall into one of two categories

Bikes that feel right from the minute you ride them and bikes that feel right after about half a dozen rides.

If you make your selection based on a frame/bike having about the right amount of travel, about the right geometry, about the right weight, then these days it’s almost perfectly legitimate to say, I’ll have that one because I like the colour, or because I like the retailer, or I like the brand.

That kind of assumes that you know enough to second guess all those factors to start with. Mate of mine was looking for a bike that, on paper, was very close to my Pace RC405. He rode it for 30 minutes and absolutely loathed it. I doubt that half a dozen rides would have changed that. Anyway, I guess if people are happy to buy on that basis then that’s fair enough.

The rapid through-put of used bikes and frames on the classifieds kind of suggests to me that you may not be entirely right. Or maybe it’s just that for the typical STWer, ‘half a dozen rides’ is about six months worth of biking 😉 [note the flippin’ smiley before the toys come flying out folks]

hora
    Free Member

There are some medium Blur LT2’s going cheap as well if anyone is interested. Bikegaydar give their longtermer 5/5.

geetee1972
    Free Member

That kind of assumes that you know enough to second guess all those factors to start with.

Yep you’re absolutely right there, and I hadn’t really thought of it like that before I posted.

It also assumes that you’ve got enough riding skill to feel the bike’s nuances and know what to do to adapt to them.

The rapid through-put of used bikes and frames on the classifieds kind of suggests to me that you may not be entirely right

Either that or it just reflects the desire for constant tinkering that I think a lot of us are guilty of. I don’t tend to change frames all that much but I change components more regularly that I change my underwear.

swisstony
    Free Member

True, a test ride or at very least a test sit is crucial, i’d been looking for a while and had made my mind up on a SC Butcher but when i went to test it, it felt terrible, way too short, i was so dissappointed.

Then i saw the cheap yeti’s and went to try one out for size at lbs and it just felt right.

As for a the full bike option, last time i bought a full bike but within a few months i’d changed everything on the bike to suit me plus most stock finishing kit is pretty low spec to save money so not very cost effective.

Bespoke is the way to go

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear… what to do… Mojo HD or Yeti ASR7?’ is closed to new replies.