Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Oh dear: Road rage! (+TJ content)
  • DezB
    Free Member

Had a go at a moron motorist this morning – then he drives into the same car park as me, then he’s in the kitchen… turns out he works in the same department!
    Funny thing is, (this is the bit TJ might find interesting) -he overtook me, not because he was in a hurry, not because I was going too slow and he wanted to go fast (he couldn’t, there are speedbumps), but no – he overtook me BECAUSE I WAS TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROAD! What an utter twonk.
    I know this because I confronted him in the car park and told him he overtook in a stupid place. He tells me he overtook because I was taking up too much road and it’s not a cyclists place to dictate where he should be on the road – I should be on the side. Even though I’m going faster than him! Well, the swear filter won’t let me say what I called him to end the conversation.

wwaswas

“the swear filter won’t let me say what I called him to end the conversation…then he’s in the kitchen”

that was a bit awkward.

higgo
    Free Member

On a point of technicality…. if you were going faster than him how did he overtake you?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

If i was you, I’d consider a complain to HR about his driving to cover your arse – because otherwise the whole story could be turned into you being a raving nutter psychopath.

DezB
    Free Member

if you were going faster than him how did he overtake you?

I was being held up by another bike and a car in front of that.
    Obviously I wasn’t going faster at the point he used his accelerator to overtake me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup – he is an idiot

Whats your point? Are you going to let idiots in cars dictate that you ride in a more dangerous manner or are you going to maximise your safety at all times?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Post reported for bullying.

DezB
    Free Member

turned into you being a raving nutter psychopath

Turned into..? 😆

He’s a contractor I believe, so won’t have any sway with HR

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Join a union.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d greet him every morning in the kitchen with “Morning idiot”.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Join a gun club?

wwaswas

I was being held up by another bike

I think the standard procedure now is to half wheel them for about 3 pedal strokes shout ‘STRAVA RUN!!!’ into their ear and barge them into the gutter 😉

Gary_C

Wouldn’t it be a coincidence if he got to his vehicle to drive home tonight & all his tyres were flat…

GrahamS

it’s not a cyclists place to dictate where he should be on the road – I should be on the side.

Seems to be a very commonly held belief from motorist comments I read.

Given that the official advice (Bikability, Cycle Training, IAM etc) encourages cyclists to take the lane as required, perhaps someone should tell the motorists?

Most seem to think that cyclists are only doing it to wind them up, or that we have some legal requirement to stay 6cm from the kerb at all times so we don’t get in the way of the real people in cars.

Perhaps we need to get motorists on a bike, even for a day, so they gain some understanding, as the Addison Lee drivers apparently did.

DezB
    Free Member

His car is right under my window! He can’t park either.

I think the standard procedure now is to half wheel them for about 3 pedal strokes shout ‘STRAVA RUN!!!’ into their ear and barge them into the gutter

He did ruin my Endomondo stats, as I forgot to turn it off 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I had some Strava rage this morning. Some **** has gone and set up KOMs all the way along my commute. Sneaky **** didn’t do them in heavy traffic though did he, **** traffic lights half way through challenges, what a ****.

TiRed

Had something similar going into work yesterday. The van begind thought I should be on the shared use pavement, despite me riding at 25mph along the A4. So he swung past and I banged on the rear panel. Makes a great noise 😆 (You know you want to). He tried to stop, but I turned in to my security gated fort of a workplace and melted away. Made me feel better anyway.

It’s Bike to Work week and I’m off for my free breakfast…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Djaustin – do you work in Oxfordshire?

GrahamS

Also..

BECAUSE I WAS TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROAD!

This annoys me greatly.

Surely he was taking up considerably more road in his car than you were on your bike?

Why is he entitled to that road space but you’re not? You’re both legitimately using vehicles to get to work and doing similar speeds.
    So why should you be forced off the road because he choose to go to work in a big noisy metal box with an engine instead of enjoying the summer sun?

He is displaying the standard British “cyclists are lower forms of life” attitude.

Do you have access to his coffee mug?

ourmaninthenorth

Send him a link to this thread, and an invitation to discuss his twattery with TJ.

Who will quite rightly tell him what a c-ck end he is.

How on earth can a grown man in a car effectively feel intimidated by a bloke on a bike and some speed bumps? FFS.

Oh, and +1 “Hello Idiot”. Every time you see him.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Had a go at a moron motorist this morning – then he drives into the same car park as me, then he’s in the kitchen… turns out he works in the same department!

A simular thing happened to me once. An idiot overtook me on a mini roundabout, actually he undertook me forcing me to brake hard (no bikes involved). Imagine my surprise when after following him for a couple of miles down several roads he eventually pulls up outside the site I’m working on. And it gets better. As soon as I walk onto the site the site agent collars me to ask me if I would do a favour for the plumber (can’t remember what it was but the plumber couldn’t get on with his work unless I did it) Oh how I chuckled and grinned when he took me over to see the plumber and it turned out to be the guy who had cut me up. His immediate reaction was “ffs it had to be you, didn’t it”. We then had a chat during which he informed how sorry he was, before I generously forgave him and got him out of trouble 🙂

wwaswas

GrahamS – it’s a shame that blog post is such a mess of missing images – it deserves wider attention.

alex222
    Free Member

if you were going faster than him how did he overtake you?

Often drivers force themselves to go faster then they are comfortable with just to squeeze by. Which makes the situation doubly dangerous.

clubber
    Free Member

Surely he was taking up considerably more road in his car than you were on your bike?

But he pays ROAD TAX for using that road 😉

GrahamS

GrahamS – it’s a shame that blog post is such a mess of missing images – it deserves wider attention.

Yeah – it’s not a blog, just a post on the London Fixed-gear and Single-speed Forum that @citycyclists pointed out.

Edit: Here is the original thread on LFGSS.

Hopefully it got better coverage elsewhere. I think Carlton Reid was talking about going to one of these training days.

TiRed

Well I was wearing my new Foska top… I suggest you get one, currently on offer.

EDIT: TSY no I work in London, commute from Windsor. Used to live in Oxfordshire though.

GrahamS

But he pays ROAD TAX for using that road

Sadly that is probably part of his self-justification – another area that sorely needs some motorist education!

Maybe some of the cycling campaigns should club together and run some ads explaining these simple principles?

Would probably do more for cyclist safety than any strip of white paint.

grum
    Free Member

Seems to be a very commonly held belief from motorist comments I read.

Used to wind me up before I started cycling – I assumed they only did it to piss off car drivers.

DezB
    Free Member

This is why I didn’t bother explaining why he was wrong (apart from being a little bit angry) – people (drivers) like that will never understand why they are wrong, there’s no point in discussing it. If I see him wandering round I’ll tell him to take a look at the Highway Code.
    I think he thinks he can do what he damn well likes cos he’s a big bloke in a big car. Turned out he was wrong there.

binners

What bike were you on? Surely with the mere loosening of a few allen bolts, the problem could be addressed in the proper manner

Coyote
    Free Member

His car is right under my window!

So what detritus can you flick out of the window for the rest of the day? 8)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Carbon road forks – would probably give someone a nasty welt 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Oh sorry Woppit, aren’t I allowed to start threads?

joao3v16
    Free Member

a moron motorist

‘Moron’ and ‘Motorist’ are interchangeable as they are fundamentally the same thing …

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tempting as it is to let rip at idiots ( and I have done many a time) I have once or twice actually helped understanding by politely explaining why I that manoeuvre was dangerous.

Shout at people they will be defensive – be polite they might listen

grum
    Free Member

Oh sorry Woppit, aren’t I allowed to start threads?

You made the mistake of not somehow coming up with a tenuous angle that criticised religion.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Quite. Or HiFi. Preferably, directional cables… 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yet you have arguements with fellow cyclists at traffic lights and thats ok then?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Who does, DezB?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear: Road rage! (+TJ content)’ is closed to new replies.