Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Oh dear, my poor old dog's
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…back legs have just given way. He had been sick so might just have been v weak from that, but very sad as he is our first dog. I hope it’s not the dreaded trip to vet tonight or tomorrow morning. 🙁

daftvader
    Free Member

fingers crossed for you. happened to my first dog (that i remember) was bloody awful (i was only 7 at the time) so hope its just a bit of post illness for him

Junkyard
    Free Member

Awful and I remember it with mine.

Hopefully everything turns out ok.

Sandwich

Get the vet to come to you if it’s bad news. Being last in the surgery is the worst ever. Good luck.

sweepy
    Free Member

I bloody hate these threads

Hope he’s just on an off day, best luck

noteeth
    Free Member

I know the feeling. 🙁

Best wishes.

bearnecessities

Argh arse. Sorry chap, sounds potentially shit (but obviously hopefully not). Manly hugs etc 🙁

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ah crap, I’m really dreading the day we have to make that call.
    Really hoping nature does it for me..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks all. Leaving him to sleep peacefully (I hope) and reassess in the morning.

You know it’s coming with an old dog, but still tough and a little spooky.

Caher

My parents jack Russell was 16 and we loved him to bits, legs went and then other stuff. I had to take him to vets when i was over. They now have another dog who is fantastic.

trademark
    Free Member

Is it a German Shepherd?
    They are prone to it unfortunately, although it doesn’t just happen, it’s a gradual thing.
    Best wishes for the outcome.

Bregante

I hate these threads too and went to bed thinking about yours, I hope he’s okay o.p.

jamj1974

Fingers crossed for you.

If it is that time, vets will do a home visit…

anagallis_arvensis

If it is that time, vets will do a home visit…

This is what I was about to post. Far better for the dog and if you are anything like me you can blart your eyes out in private. Best wishes to your dog and familly.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Sorry to hear it, hope the old fella picks up.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

My dog had an issue with his back end last year and he was just lying on his cushion and couldn’t get up. We thought he was finished also but it turns out that he had injured his back somehow so there is still hope for your pal.

Mine had an injury similar to a slipped disc and it took a lot of cage rest, steroids etc. to get him back to a reasonable level of fitness/mobility.

Hopefully yours will pull around when he builds his strength back up.

bones
    Free Member

How’s he this morn, op?

big_scot_nanny

All the best, hope everything works out ok. They’re buggers for noodling themselves tightly into family life.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind messages. Mrs THM up early to prepare “special” meal with old boy still in the bed. Still thinking that it was time for the vet. I had a wee motivational chat with him (you better walk not mate or is toast 😉 ) but the smell of rice and chicken was enough. Up he got and walked straight round the kitchen. Even made it our unt the garden. So immediate panic over – phew – and thanks again.

Still an old dog but hopefully the end is not in the vet immediate future.

midlifecrashes

Excellent news, time for a few more hugs yet.

ton

good news that..glad he seems ok.
    my 8 year old labby has been off it for a few days, being sick, but it is just bile. wouldnt eat anything.
    however this morning she has just eaten a bowl full of tinned tuna with kibble and a big piece od steamed salmon.

she is now snoring.

jamj1974

Pleased for the OP and you too Ton.

hammyuk
    Free Member

daftvader
    Free Member

Excellent news big thumbs up to the old chap!

piha
    Free Member

Suede is happily pleased with the good news.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yay!! Great news 😀

gozarch
    Free Member

Ageing Tess isn’t greatly fussed about the news, but then she is a miserable old sod 😉
    I, on the other hand, am very glad to hear it 🙂

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Good meats and high animal fats, keep him away from any carbohydrates Rice/bread/biscuits and the like) and i’ll bet he starts to pick up in no time 🙂

CheesybeanZ

Talk to your vet about metacam , we put our old fella on a senior low protein diet .healing vibes.

loddrik
    Free Member

What type of dog is Suede?

piha
    Free Member

@ Loddrik – Suede is a right old mixture and has caused much debate.

Officially he is bull lurcher, however a lurcher is a cross breed and could include 2 or more breeds. His ears are Shar Pei and his tail is labrador. It’s been suggested he has Weimaraner, Ridgeback or even Pit Bull in him! I’m fostering him at the moment and I have to say he is a great dog that loves people and is a lot of fun to have around.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Phew!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is the rear end weakness musculoskeletal or neurologic? If musculoskeletal, have you heard of people using turmeric and black pepper?

Our old boy has made frankly amazing progress on it. Seem to help fans more than his cocktail of drugs.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Appreicate the kind thoughts and suggestions, thank you all very much.

Dear old boy is 13 1/2 and has slowed down a lot, so in the twilight of his time with us. But Friday was a real shock as its very bad for retrievers if/when their back legs go completely and that is what it looked. Made it worse as I was going away for the weekend to see my sick mother and so we were in a bit of a pickle what to do.

But in the end, seems he was just very weak from being sick.mhe has been with in laws yesterday and today and they say that he is his normal, albeit old and slow, self

He takes turmeric every day BTW but good suggestion.

Again thanks for nice messages. Helped on a spookey Friday night/Sat morning.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear, my poor old dog's’ is closed to new replies.