Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Oh bugger. Fly to US tomorrow, but I currently have a one way ticket. :-(
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I just tried checking in to Delta and as I don’t know when I am coming home. It will be a 2 – 6 week trip and depends on how far I decide to cycle down the Great Divide.

I have not booked a return flight as I don’t know which airport I will be flying out of. If I book a flight the airline will hammer me when I want to change it.

Is it likely I won’t be allowed on the flight?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s the visa esta site say? Probably time to call someone. Flexible flights are not that bad but you wanted to book one a long time ago.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Oops. It states

“Have a return or onward ticket”

I have some spare air miles so I suppose I’ll just have to book a flight from Tucson and then pay the change fee if I need to move it.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Assuming you have a UK passport and are travelling under the VWS you need a return ticket

Plus, if entering the United States by air or sea you are:

holding a return or onward ticket. If traveling on an electronic ticket, a copy of the itinerary must be carried for presentation to U.S. immigration at the port of entry. Note: Travelers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas;

mikey74
    Free Member

Can’t you just book a ticket that accommodates the 6 week holiday? If you finish early, spend the remaining time chilling out somewhere.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Glad I checked this out. Cheers fellas, will book a flight now for 6 weeks time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Never mind all that…..

Delta? DELTA? Are you quite mad?

😉

Delta? DELTA? Are you quite mad?

Better than United 😉

scaredypants

you could book a flight from Albuquerque to Mexico for peanuts, I bet – or just say you’re riding over the border

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you could book a flight from Albuquerque to Mexico for peanuts, I bet – or just say you’re riding over the border

Amazingly they have thought of that… (from above post)

Note: Travelers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas;

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Better than United

Like choosing between herpes and syphilis, but you have a point! 😀

flanagaj
    Free Member

Only reason I went delta was I had a load of air miles from US business trips. What sucked though was how much taxes I paid out compared to coming home.

£233 quid going out
    $5 coming back

br
    Free Member

Even though I had a return ticket I was once asked “but how do I KNOW you will actually live the US of A”.

“Believe me”, I said, “I won’t be staying any longer than I have to”

Pigface
    Free Member

On my bike tour I entered the states at Port Angeles from Victoria with no return ticket, wasn’t asked. You may be lucky.

scaredypants

Amazingly they have thought of that… (from above post)

bah!, my career as a plotter of visa-busting japes is no more 🙁

Cougar

They’ll be more accepting if you know the local lingo. I’ll help.

“You’re boned.”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    On my bike tour I entered the states at Port Angeles from Victoria with no return ticket, wasn’t asked. You may be lucky.

Is that the same US immigration? My brother was turned back at the airport for not having enough on his passport in the UK. Airlines can be fined/charged for returning those without proper paperwork, I was checked in Singapore going back to Oz on check in.
    The chance of your holiday going down the pan by not playing by the rules should be enough to play by them.

boxelder

Albuquerque

Hot dog, jumping frog….

scaredypants

Even though I had a return ticket I was once asked “but how do I KNOW you will actually live the US of A”.

last time we went, the guy asked me what our itinerary was

My wife immediately said “Christ, here we go – he won’t have a bloody clue”
    … so he stopped the questions, wished me a good day and subjected her to a prolonged and humiliating marigolding let us go through

thefettler
    Free Member

On my recent US trip, I had to jump thought hoops to get a b1/2 visa.
    Had to provide bank statements ,travel plans US contact address !Specifically told I must have a return flight ,In the interview the US consulate really thought I might be an over stayer 🙄
    Rocked up at immigration wearing full m/c apparel with m/c luggage & helmet ,dude says have a nice trip ,next .Up to you ,homeland security play hard and fast to their own rules 8)

Pigface
    Free Member

newsmith yes it was, had to do the whole Visa filling in bit in Victoria but with US immigration, filled it in wrong the official called me thick 😯 filled it in again. He let me through with bike and BOB trailer. He was one of those guys that liked to take the mick but I am sure could of turned very official if needed to.

At other end had to go through immigration again with foot passengers, was last in the queue and was waved through with hardly a glance.

In Vancouver airport I was asked about my return and I pointed at my bike in a box and told the guy my plans and he said good luck and wished he was coming with me.

I was stunned on both occasions I envisaged all amounts of grief.

kcal

I’ve got an old B1/B2 USA visa on an expired passport (are they perpetual – not sure) — I used to get quizzed about it all the time entering the US when I travelled as it was issued in Tokyo (was there for work).

Must check if it’s still valid..

thefettler
    Free Member

one year from date of issue or you can pay more for 5 years, but you only get 180 days in the US

brassneck

Hot dog, jumping frog….

<Applauds>

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

and for christs sake don’t laugh smile or joke when your in airport security, all their employees have had the sense of humour gene surgically removed and expect you to be dour and very bloody serious.

but do take out your mobile and jump up and down waving it, then you’ll get floored by 20 security apes trying to stop you detonating !

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Oh bugger. Fly to US tomorrow, but I currently have a one way ticket. :-(’ is closed to new replies.