Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Offshore advice wanted please
  • mtbjunkie
    Free Member

Hi,would really appreciate it if anyone can offer me any advice with how to get offshore or overseas work ? im time served in plumbing heating 25 years experience currently in management but happy to go back on tools as pipe fitter if possible. Doing my survival, mist etc in next couple of weeks would be greatful for any help advice or contacts . Thanks

RustyMac

Check out

http://www.oilcareers.com and

http://yourjob.ajl.co.uk/ – This one is linked to the Press and Journal and Evening Express the local papers here in Aberdeen. Have a look around and see what people are looking for.

I’m new to the offshore game and work as a surveyor which is mainly office based with offshore trips but what I heard from guys at the offshore survival and on the rigs I’ve been to was it is easier to work your way up when you have got some offshore experience. It is not necessarily what you know but who sometimes and as word gets about offshore as to what you are capable of then it is easier to progress.

When doing the offshore survival as you don’t know where you will be going it would be wise to do the euro basic course (this add a skyscape escape to the learning) as it will be required for Norwegian waters. The medical is generally considered a bit of a waste of money as the vast majority of companies will put you though one as a formality of joining (this may not be the case if you are planning on going self employed/ adhoc).

If you are training at Petrofac and going for a deal with accommodation the nicest was at the great western hotel, they also put on a free bus from there out to the training centre every morning and collect in the evenings.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you have your survival (BOSIET) and MIST (our company don’r require MIST thank god) along with the 2 Day Swagelok fittings and 1/2 day parker A-alok course you’d stand a fair chance of getting taken on as an instrument pipe fitter. Instrument tubing is just like plumbing pretty much. A construction pipe fitter in contrast work on flanged pipelines (the big stuff). Rigs also require somebody handy with domestic plumbing, tiling etc around the accomodation for minor repairs.

mtbjunkie
    Free Member

Thanks I appreciate all the advice ,I,ve searched on the internet for these courses and only found the manufacturers who i will contact but just in case any idea who runs the Instrument pipe fitting courses? Once I have these, is there any particular companies or agencies I should apply to? What sort of money is the norm for that role and are the best paid jobs in dodgy places?Thanks again .

mtbjunkie
    Free Member

I’ve now found a course for Swagelock thanks, Once I have these, is there any particular companies or agencies I should apply to? What sort of money is the norm for that role and are the best paid jobs in dodgy places?Thanks again .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Offshore advice wanted please’ is closed to new replies.