Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Offset bushings
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Hi,I have some off set bushings that I was given by the seller when I bought my frame (Norco Fluid LT).

Whilst I love the bike, I’m a tinkerer so want to play and see if it’s better.

A few questions:

1. The bushings will lower the BB and slacken the head angle. Do they change the feel of the shock?

2. The first thread I found about them on Bike Radar was all about how they seize, break your bike and kill you. True? Is there any real risk to the bike?

3. Do they lessen the clearance at the rear when the shock is fully compressed? How can I tell if there’s enough clearance? I know not to let all of the pressure out of a rear shock (not sure why though). How low can I let the pressure drop before getting someone to sit on it?

The bushings aren’t brass, if that makes a difference to their quality / if it’s worth using them.

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well to answer 3 let all the air out of the shock and check the wheel path. Not heard the never let all the air out of the shock thing, it would certainly make servicing the shock and exciting game.

If you want to know what it’s like then try it, see what you think and then decide if you like it. Best approach to a lot of things as the only opinion that counts is yours.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I don’t touch shocks for servicing! I thought it was something about nitrogen in the shock getting out. I can’t remember where I read it.

Aren’t you a bike mechanic Mike? If so, have you ever seen a broken bike because of offset bushings?

If there’s no risk to the bike, I’ll definitely give it a go and see what I think. There’s a DH Strava segment near me. I need to KOM it just before the rainy season starts to keep it for a few months!

Thanks,

Mike

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not a mechanic but done plenty.
    The N2 charge is inside the shock separate to the air can that you pump up, you remove all the air to service otherwise you would do yourself a nasty injury removing the air can – a worthwhile service to do and really easy
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaT2k3lq600[/video]
    Or at least get somebody to do one.

In terms of bikes exploding not seen much in here and I reckon somebody would have reported it.

Biggest issue is making sure you don’t hit the frame with the linkages or wheel.

But…. if you think 1 degree will get you a KOM then good luck

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll give it a go when I’ve finished work. Nothing like bike tinkering with a cold beer!

But…. if you think 1 degree will get you a KOM then good luck

Of course it will. It’s all that’s holding me back* 🙂

*May or may not be true, but I’m in 2nd, 4 seconds behind 1st.

VanHalen

The bushings are from jeron at offset bushings.com from memory i think you can only run one offset bushing in long travel setting. Just depressure the shock and see if seat stay hits seat tube.

Check the spacer sleeves on the offset bush don’t bind on the shock when u bolt everthing up. You might need to sand em down a smidge. The ones I got for my trance were a bit long

Cheers Mark

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I was just coming to ask that Mark!

Here’re two photos (with the shock fully compressed).

I can’t see the tire hitting the seat tube but did wonder about the stays (or brace) on the tube.

seat tube / tire – plenty of room

brace / seat tube…. hmmmmm (that’s about 2mm, by the way)

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Cleaned my shock (thanks for the vid) and am running one off set. And one regular bushing.

I did feel the difference in the ride. It definitely feels a little more stable at speed. KOM too 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Offset bushings’ is closed to new replies.