Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Off topic – car shunt. Have I been daft?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Turned into my street tonight in my new (to me) car. I’d followed a BMW estate into the narrow, downhill approach to the street. The driver stopped. I waited about 30 seconds to see what they were doing, and suddenly she started to reverse, straight at me. Didn’t have time to do anything but pound the horn, but that had no effect and she hit my car, full in its face (poor thing).

Got out and had a look – some scrapes to my paintwork and the Volvo badge has snapped off. No obvious signs of bending or breakage. Her car’s rear bumper was dinged right in on the corner – bit of a mess. We were both perfectly pleasant about it, and given the lack of damage I told her to forget about it, but did offer to exchange details – she declined the offer.

Given the horror stories I read here and elsewhere (woman has change of heart and tells the police I rammed her?!), I’m now wondering if I should have played it by the book – what would you have done?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Always play it by the book.

druidh
    Free Member

I’d have reported it. Too easy for her to say that you just ran into the back of her once she realises how much it’ll cost to repair.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That ^

user-removed
    Free Member

@SBZ But I’d be looking at more expensive car insurance renewals and know what a hassle it is as soon as the insurance companies get involved.

Lifer
    Free Member

Yes you’ve been daft.

user-removed
    Free Member

And of course, had I played it by the book, there’s a very good chace she would have claimed it was my fault anyway – lose-lose.

voodoo_chile

what druid said she may claim against you…i will always get the police involved now , even little bumps .It is amazing the advice the get from pub/work/family etc
    people just see pound signs

user-removed
    Free Member

Hmmm. Might have a wander up to the taxi office at the top of the road to see if any of the drivers saw anything – just in case…..

user-removed
    Free Member

Well, the good new is that three cab drivers saw the accident and remembered exactly what happened. The bad news (for the other driver) is that her car leaked fluid of some kind all over the road.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

What a cynical bunch you are – is it not just possible that two sensible people have agreed that they do not need to sue the pants off each other??

project
    Free Member

Woman driving in continent car shocker.

On Sunday outside Lime stree station Lpool, woman driver pulls into the no waiting exit that taxis used to use, me behind her on a bike,just walked out of station, she drops off a few people who obviously couldnt walk from the dedicated drop off point the other side of the station, puts the car into reverse and almost hits me, only me shouting check your mirrors made her stop, she then gave me a wilted queenie wave.

A few taxi drivers that where in the area, suddenly checked if their mirrors where still there, it being liverpool.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Woman driving in continent car shocker.

Man in incompetent grammar shocker.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

user-removed – not if it wasnt your fault you wouldnt.

user-removed
    Free Member

Sorry, wouldn’t what? See higher premiums? Yes I would. Maybe not officially, but I’ve seen it happen to others.

scaredypants

The bad news (for the other driver) is that her car leaked fluid of some kind all over the road.

from the back end ? (I’d suspect it was your front end til proven otherwise – can’t imagine her petrol tank or diff have split)

Addit: washer bottle, maybe I guess

legend
    Free Member

Only if you have the shoddiest insurance ever. Policies are based on your perceived risk, which doesn’t change in the case of a non-fault claim.

Legend – ex insurance monkey

P.s. you certain that the fluid came out the back of her car and not the front of yours?

allthepies
    Free Member

The bad news (for the other driver) is that her car leaked fluid of some kind all over the road.

Sure it’s not from your radiator ?

singletrackmind

Might be self levelling suspension fluid?
    I know not if its fitted to the particular model, but it is on a few estates.

nickjb
    Free Member

Well I think you did the right thing. I’ve been driven into a few times. The first time I went by the book and after lots of effort I just about broke even. The other times I’ve just left it. No big deal, it’s just a car.

user-removed
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments…. There is something dripping off the bottom of the car. Can’t tell yet if it’s oil, oily water or something else. Whatever it is, there’s not much of it, but still slightly worrying.

petrieboy

What car is yours? Washer bottles often right down the front bumper so hopefully that. Hopefully not the radiator.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

It wasn’t a reportable accident – no need to waste police time.

If you got her reg no you can still get in touch with her if there is damage. The DVLA will sell you the registered keeper’s details for a coupla quid these days.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Off topic – car shunt. Have I been daft?’ is closed to new replies.