Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Off to that London tomorrow – couple of questions
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I’m driving up to to London (from Bristol) tomorrow with my 16 year old daughter to watch AC/DC at the Olympic Stadium. My wife and younger daughter are coming too and will mooch around the West End while we are at the gig. We’re staying at a hotel in Paddington on the Saturday night before heading back down the M4 on Sunday morning.

A couple of questions:

I’m looking at parking at Hounslow West (or nearby if any on road parking) and getting the tube in to Paddington. Any better options to leave the car?

I forgot to get Oyster cards for us. What’s going to be the best option for tube travel? A weekend ticket? Pay by contactless as and when needed?

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Contactless for payment – no reason to ever use Oyster now.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m looking at parking at Hounslow West (or nearby if any on road parking) and getting the tube in to Paddington. Any better options to leave the car?

I like parking in the multi storey in Hammersmith. Re tube travel – if you have contactless cards, then just wave them around and forget about it. You’ll need to lend a different card (although not necessarily different account) to your daughter though.

cp

If you haven’t got another contact less card for the daughter (or yourself for that matter) then you can get them at most stations I believe.

bails

If you haven’t got another contact less card for the daughter (or yourself for that matter) then you can get them at most stations I believe.

That’s what I was going to say. I doubt you can use one card for two people.

cp

you can get them at most stations I believe

by this I mean you can get an oyster card at most stations.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Cheers all.

My daughters (16 & 14) both have debit cards but not sure if they’re contactless- I’ll check and if not get Oyster cards at the station for them.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Banks tend to issue contactless cards to customers that live in areas that have lots of contactless machines.

No idea how Bristol is but chances are that your daughters may not have contactless.

robdixon
    Free Member

by the time you’ve paid for a family’s worth of single tube tickets on the Saturday and Sunday you’d be no worse off paying for parking in Paddington – just drive up the M4, skip round the M25 for one junction and then it’s M40 / A40 all the way to Paddington.

fatbobb
    Free Member

I think the multi storey in Hammersmith may be closed for refurb. I’d check online first. There’s lots of free street parking in Hammersmith too off of Fulham Palace Rd. This map amy help. Zones T, H and D.

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/sites/default/files/section_attachments/map_of_controlled_parking_zones_and_tariffs-1.pdf

From Bristol way I always park in Hamm – M4/A4 all the way in – easy and a quick hop on the tube to Paddington.

Enjoy.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Thanks all. Based on the above I’ve now booked a secure parking space 10 mins walk from the hotel in Paddington so we can drive straight in and pick up Oyster cards for the girls (their debit cards aren’t contactless) at the station to get across town.

njee20
    Free Member

Banks tend to issue contactless cards to customers that live in areas that have lots of contactless machines

Really? Surely they don’t bother differentiating?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Oysters require a “deposit cash balance” to be put on them, if you care about this you can refund them when you are done. MKe sure you touch in and out even if barriers are open or you will be charged a penalty fare

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Take the Mrs and younger daughter over to stratford with you … have a mooch about the Oly park… have a swim or at least a look in the Oly pool is pretty damn cool then food and shopping at Westfield it’s right by Oly stadium

See you there … taking my almost 6 year old lad

For those about to ROCK …. we salute you…. 😈

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Banks tend to issue contactless cards to customers that live in areas that have lots of contactless machines
    Really? Surely they don’t bother differentiating?

Surely. They do.

CountZero

I think the multi storey in Hammersmith may be closed for refurb.

It is, thanks to folks on here, I was tipped of about justpark.com, and the church in Fulham Palace Road, which I’m going to be to be using in future for parking, saved five quid over King’s Mall car park for twelve hour’s parking, which is a worthwhile saving.
    I have installed the app on my phone and pad for future use in other cities, like Oxford, where the parking is very expensive.

jambalaya
    Free Member

justpark.com interesting thanks

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member
    Take the Mrs and younger daughter over to stratford with you … have a mooch about the Oly park… have a swim or at least a look in the Oly pool is pretty damn cool then food and shopping at Westfield it’s right by Oly stadium
    See you there … taking my almost 6 year old lad
    For those about to ROCK …. we salute you….

Good call on Westfield – I hadn’t realised it was so close. I reckon there’s enough there to keep them occupied. Enjoy the gig, hope your son enjoys it too 🙂

Re: Justpark – yep, discovered them today and booked 24 hours secure parking near Paddington station for £27 which I reckon is a good deal. I’ll use them again.

ade9933
    Free Member

there are apps for free parking spots in London… can’t remember their names but just take a look on the app store

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Off to that London tomorrow – couple of questions’ is closed to new replies.