Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Off to Surrey hills tomorrow advice required
  • bruders338
    Free Member

As title says really we are coming from Ashford Kent and only going by what we have heard from other about the Leith hill trails.

Are these any good

and i have a postcode of Gu5 9rr is this correct. never been so if anyone can point us in right direction in parking etc…

many thanks

Gotama
    Free Member

What kind of riding do you like?

bruders338
    Free Member

Bit of everything really.. but Afan style single track

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’ll need full body armour and 6″+ of travel.

🙂

Great riding, seriously! Ask someone to show you a few trails, as they’re hard to find, but worth a play!

br
    Free Member

Get the OS 1:25000 map, and highlight the BW’s – and then you’ll see all the other trails running off too.

bruders338
    Free Member

sounds interesting… worse case we go, dont like it, come home.

i got a transition covert. hopefully able to cope with some of it

ajt123
    Free Member

For Leith hill I would probably park in Wescott. You can then head south, up the hill, starting on Wolvern’s lane and then onto the bridle-way.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wescott&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&ei=-ydfUZypDKTL0AXUxYHoBg&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

This takes you to the top of a trail called Summer lightening – which is excellent, if you like berms and twisty non-steep stuff.

If I were you, I’d save till last, and keep on heading up to the tower – get to Coldharbour and then turn right up the hill. Then you have various trails from there.

Nice little one I did on Saturday you face North and go downhill East then North again into a little river valley

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wescott&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&ei=-ydfUZypDKTL0AXUxYHoBg&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

Some very nice Switch-backs, pretty steep.

Lots of people about – mostly friendly – just ask.

Alex

bruders338
    Free Member

Nice one thanks..

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, I’d suggest you start in peaslake as the trails a easier to find and there are usually more friendly cyclists around. Sat nav just google the hurtwood inn and there’s two car parks there, one just up the hill if you drive 300 yards past the hotel. From pedal and spoke bike shop oppo the hotel there is a path that goes up past the church. Follow that up the hill and it will take you to the top of pitch hill. There’s a couple of tracks on the right hand side as you go up. It feels like you’re at the top, there’s a cross roads in the fire road where straight on enters a wide but more obviously wooded area. Turn right there and you’ll see an obvious entry about 50m on the right. There is another right turn about another 50m further on where you go up a 1m steep up off the fire road. There are more trails around on pitch, relatively easy to find. For steep stuff stay on the original fire road until you get to the very top, as far as it goes. There’s a number of trails that go straight down in front of you, east to spot. From there head over to winterfold area, ask for Evian or two headed dog.

Back at the bottom by the shop if you go up the hill on the left so to speak, then that takes you onto holmbury with Barry knows best, yoghurt pots etc. Personally prefer pitch and winterfold.

Hopefully that’s some use and vaguely clear! Have a great ride, should be relatively dry up there.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ha, took me so long to write that there’s been loads of other people chime in!

butterbean
    Free Member

Might make more sense to park in the middle at Holmbury St Mary, then you can ride Leith, Holmbury & Pitch.

Ask people where to go, there is a lot of trails & it can be a headache putting a route together if you don’t know where you are going.

bruders338
    Free Member

brilliant… sound like its going to be good. lots of exploring 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

If you want jumps then top of pitch and down the steep stuff or winterfold.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Off to Surrey hills tomorrow advice required’ is closed to new replies.