Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Off To Keswick (Bassenthwaite) – Routes And Advice
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Another shameless request for information and advice.

We have a cottage booked for a week in Bassenthwaite in early June and wondered if people would mind sharing their favourite routes in the area.

Looking for some Epic and varied Lake District riding with big views and fun descents.

I am hoping to purchase a GPS device for off road navigation as I have never ridden there and don’t fancy fumbling around with maps all ride, so any GPX files that people have would be hugely appreciated and really help me to plan a good weeks riding for me and my mate.

Also if anyone can recommend their favourite restaurants / takeaways (Indian etc) in the area I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance people

mt
    Free Member

Skidaw circuit.

jekkyl

Here’s a good starter.
    http://www.keswick.org/what-to-do/cycling-routes/

I love the lonscale fell route as it’s so quick but epic at the same time. Just over an hour for me out of keswick, the spin out of keswick on the old train line is a lovely scenic start and the drop from the carpark at the bottom of skiddaw back to keswick is ace. Helvellyn isn’t far away and there’s tons on that mountain in the history.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Black Fell (Ambleside)
    Borrowdale Bash

There is loads about from Keswick. Keswick Cycles would probably be a good place to drop in to, they will have routes, and I think they may have maps?

peteimpreza

“I love the lonscale fell route as it’s so quick but epic at the same time.”

Agreed, just be carefull, people have died on that route in the recent past.

” drop from the carpark at the bottom of skiddaw back to keswick is ace.”

Also agree with this as long as there are no walkers coming up the way.

jekkyl

yeah watch out for walkers, they’ll be the ones directly in front of you going really slowly, towards you or away from you. As long as you have your eyes open you’ll spot em. :o)

scandal42
    Free Member

I love walkers, kill them with kindness (sarcastic, smug kindness)

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Just recently done Lonscale & Borrowdale kindly shown round by twinkly dave – epic riding. On coming back realised “oh yeah that bit must be where those people died” 🙁
    Whinlatter trail centre is also worth checking out short quick & fun plus if u have a road bike there’s honister newlands & whinlatter.

Andy_K

Borrowdale Bash is great, and all weather too.

scaredypants

Borrowdale Bash is great, and all weather too.

the steepish bit makes me cry when it’s wet 🙁

alansd1980

Towards the end of the lonscale loop. Was up visiting on holiday a couple of weeks ago and nipped out on the friday evening for an hour or so.

Stunning.

TomB

From bassenthwaite, follow bw to Peter house farm and up dash falls, round to skiddaw house and lonscale fell. Push/ride/carry up skiddaw, then cheeky descent home via ullock pike. Epic.

Probably want to be pretty confident/ happy with mountain routes for the latter part, and top of skiddaw is always windy. If you don’t fancy the last part, enjoy the bw descent from latrigg car park down into keswick and tootle back along the road.

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far chaps,

Love the look of some of that, Ullock Pike was taking my fancy before hand.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Off To Keswick (Bassenthwaite) – Routes And Advice’ is closed to new replies.