• This topic has 20 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Off to Bedoin on Wednesday, any must doos?
  • jkomo

The idea is to try to get up Ventoux early Thursday morning, then watch the tour go up.
    Riding Friday and Saturday so hope to try the different routes and maybe a day on a mountain bike.
    Any routes, bars, restaurants in the area you can recommend will be most welcome.

oldnpastit

You need to go to the Gorges de la Nesque.

jkomo

Thanks oldn, that looks ace.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Drink and purchase (car?) large quantities of Rose, various Ventoux options

splashdown
    Free Member

+1 for Gorges de la Nesque
    Loop down to Gordes is really nice too

jkomo

If you get time, I’d really appreciate a GPX of the route if you have one.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I would third Gorges de la Nesque, and second a trip to Gordes, via the Col de Murs.

oldnpastit

Bedoin market day is also well worth going to. Don’t bring a bike though, you won’t get through the crowds.

splashdown
    Free Member

Hi jkomo, I’ve emailed you a few gpx files.

Have fun 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+4 for Gorges de la Nesque

Great piece of road. Descend Ventoux down to Sault, then round through the gorge.

jkomo

Splashdown- got em, cheers.

svensvenson

Or for a more sneaky local descent, up the gorge de la nesque, Sault (for lunch?) Then to St Jean de Sault, then head towards Methamis. A long beautiful descent, wilder than the Gorge de la nesque and way less travelled – although it is TdeF week… If you get stuck I live around the corner (so to speak) or if you want some more info!

vickypea
    Free Member

I’d recommend riding up the Gorge de la Nesque, visiting Sault for lunch (there are a few cyclist-friendly cafes there), and then riding around the back of Ventoux, the roads round the back are lovely and quiet- well they were both times I did that route!

svensvenson

And as a plus there is some amazing (if you don’t mind rocks) mountain biking in the hills behind Pernes-Les-Fontaine… It’s France so if you get lost, head down hill until you hit a road and you’ll be between 5 and 8 km from a village. (Practically guarenteed!)

kbomb
    Free Member

I loved descending into Sault, emerging from the forest and hitting a wall of pungent lavender infused warm air. The Sault climb is probably the most enjoyable of the climbs as well, underrated.

Don’t be put off by the cyclists in Bedoin, lots of good places to eat. Best meal I had was a takeaway pizza from Pizzaria La Mamma, eaten in the square with a cold beer.

There is an off road route up most of Ventoux, but its rideable on a road bike. If you’re doing the main Bedoin-Ventoux climb, make sure you leave early as it gets brutally hot pretty quickly.

You can ride to pretty much any village near Ventoux and stumble across some amazing hidden gems, its a fantastic area. The signposted tourist cycle routes from Bedoin are easy but fantastic.

pirahna
    Free Member

vickypea – Member
    I’d recommend riding up the Gorge de la Nesque, visiting Sault for lunch (there are a few cyclist-friendly cafes there), and then riding around the back of Ventoux, the roads round the back are lovely and quiet- well they were both times I did that route!

That.

On the back road is a place called Brantes, it’ll be a climb up but the views above the village are well worth the effort. Back down afain it’s another climb out.Have a beer in Entrechaux on the way back, you’ll have earned it. Downhill all the way to Malaucene, the final climb over to Bedoin means you’ve earned more beer.

As mentioned, the heat can be fierce. If you have a few days and the mistral is blowing it might be worth saving Ventoux until it dies down.

vickypea
    Free Member

Watch out for thunderstorms- we got caught in quite a violent one while descending on the Malaucene side of Ventoux. We sheltered in a barn as the storm was right overhead and the road was streaming with torrential rain for a good half hour. Then the sun came out and steamed the water away 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Or for a more sneaky local descent, up the gorge de la nesque, Sault (for lunch?) Then to St Jean de Sault, then head towards Methamis. A long beautiful descent, wilder than the Gorge de la nesque and way less travelled – although it is TdeF week… If you get stuck I live around the corner (so to speak) or if you want some more info!

This, although I did it backwards this year. We stop at the campsite in Villes-Sur-Auzon, I love it round there.

jkomo

Thanks all, some great info there.

jkomo

Svensvenson, how much do you think a taxi to Bedoin from TGV Avignon, and could we book in advance?

jkomo

Update- pre booked taxi from Avignon TGV to Bedoin €100.
    Glad we did as there was a big queue at the taxi rank.
    The house in Le Baux (1mile from Bedoin) is just lovely, 2 doors up from a bar/restaurant.
    Views of the mountain, and the flat lands, the Tour passes soon so off into Bedoin.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Off to Bedoin on Wednesday, any must doos?’ is closed to new replies.