• This topic has 62 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Off the wall music which you like – List it here :
  • Keva
    Free Member

Gogol Bordello – Super Taranta

Love this for the crazy punk gypsie circus sounds….

Kev

sc-xc

if you ever get the chance to see them live, they are fantastic. A bit rough down the front 😉

sc-xc

edit: double post.

Jamie
    Free Member

IGMC.

nicko74

Classic surf guitar – Dick Dale, the Ventures, the Mermen.

IHN

Steve Earle, country/rock/folk songwriting genius

Coyote
    Free Member

Check out the Freak Zone on BBC 6 Music on Sunday afternoon / evening if you want to experience "off the wall" music.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

As well as punk / metal I also like:

Bee and FLower – dark, moody and bluesey female vocals.

Final / Stars of the Lid – minimal ambient soundscapes.

Godspeed! You Black Emperor / Explosions in the Sky / Sigur Ros / Pelican / Codes in the Clouds – post-rock.

Steve Von Till – pared down folk (Steve also sings / plays guitar in Neurosis)

SSP

forlornhope
    Free Member

"the weather report"
    nice bit of jazz fusion.

Verbal-Kint
    Free Member

Bat for Lashes

stuckinarut
    Free Member

British Sea Power.

Saw them last night headlining the Eastleigh festival. They were incredible. I came away with a dubious souvenir in one of Yan's socks 😀
    King Creosote was excellent in support.

I like Camera Obscura a lot too.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Autechre – Rettic AC

Love this, just a rolling wall of clicky static with a haunting horn melody.

Also like John Cages prepared piano work. Having seen some performed live, it's so odd to see a familiar instrument produce such odd sounds :

An example

Prep work

zangolin
    Free Member

Yello – (1983 album) You Gotta Say Yes to Another Excess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Gotta_Say_Yes_to_Another_Excess

+ lots of stuff from Kraftwerk

Keva
    Free Member

Jamie… yes very good… obviously I was a bit pished when I started this thread and only realised my mistake with the title afterwards !

I do have vague memories of some of his 'music' some twenty five years ago or so but understand that the guy is dead now though right ?

Kev

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Adrian Edmondson and The Bad Shepherds

Punk classics done in a folk style

Keva
    Free Member

ah yep.. off to see Ade Edmonson (aka Viv)& folk in October. Heard an excellent version of 'Down in the Tubestation' yesterday on Beeb six music.

Kev

beej

Do Half Man Half Biscuit count, or are they a bit mainstream? Preferably the slightly more recent stuff, Achtung Bono's my favourite album. CSI Ambleside is quite good. Off to see them in August!

roper
    Free Member
    zangolin
    Free Member

Yello – Lost again video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWyFs-wbHAc
    Oxford Road Show used it as theme tune?

zangolin
    Free Member

The Orb – The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld
    The whole 2 hours fantastic very "trippy". Saw them live twice back in 91 + 92 Manchester Academy – large amounts of fungus might have been involved!
    Fluffy Clouds is the track most people will have heard
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWMIXgCaJPQ

bassspine
    Free Member

The best Yello album is Solid Pleasure. One of the best lps ever IMO.

For sheer wackiness, the Hybrid Kids album is right up there – check the Rod Stewart cover here

Jamie
    Free Member

I do have vague memories of some of his 'music' some twenty five years ago or so but understand that the guy is dead now though right ?

Is he? They kept that quiet.

DezB
    Free Member

I love SUBTLE
    +
    Current faves are PANTyRAiD

plop_pants
    Free Member

Roper, I thought I was all alone being a Cardiacs fan. Love 'em. Wish there stuff wasn't so damn expensive and hard to get.
    Do you know if Tim has recovered?

ton

Pink martini.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Do Half Man Half Biscuit count

Love HMHB 🙂

I was outed in another thread as a old crusty/hippy and my musical tastes are suitably non-mainstrem. I'm guessing tho' that the OP doesn't simply mean obscure (so I won't be flaunting my Dr.Brown ltd vinyl or Wobble Jaggle Jiggle Band cassettes (which is just as well as the **** gave up the death ages ago).

So, by 'off teh wall' i'm guessing the OP means "challenging," which I'm taking to mean what UI'm listening to when my missus says, "Will you turn that off, ffs!"

so..

Current 93, Acid Mothers Temple, Sunn o))), Les Rallizes Denudes, United Bible Studies

corroded
    Free Member

Incredible String Band perhaps falls into that category. Not sure if I actually 'like' it tho. But I am a fan of Lee Perry and King Tubby, who can sound like their music is being beamed in from another planet.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Jean Luc Ponty – Enigmatic Ocean

French progressive jazz rock 😆

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Incredible String Band perhaps falls into that category. Not sure if I actually 'like' it tho.

I love ISB but then the whole household do too 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

as a old crusty/hippy

somehow I thought you might 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Francis Cabrel
    Aphex Twin
    Porcupine Tree
    Fabé
    IAM
    Daren et les Chaises
    Winton Marsalis
    and many, many more.

forlornhope
    Free Member

"cardiacs" top choice.

Creg

MF Doom – Arrow Root Love the jazzy feel to this track

Lustmord – Immersion this is just plain wierd

Autoaggression – The Sky Is Not Yours great beat to this track but has so much more to it than just your average dance track

roper
    Free Member

plop_pants

The last time I saw the cardiacs was about ten years ago. I had a few friends connected with them so got free tickets to Cardiac and Sea Nymph gigs so have seen them quite a few times. They have always been a Fantastic band live with a good following too. I never got bored seeing them, always a good night.

There is a link to Tim's well-being here

http://www.cardiacs.com/2009/06/25/there-now-follows-an-announcement-of-great-importance-from-the-alphabet-business-concern/

Who is him?

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Captain Beefheart(the missus hates them!)
    Ornett Coleman(went to see him at the Meltdown a few weeks ago, amazing)
    Sun Ra
    Art Ensemble of Chicago
    John Zorn
    Aba Shanti I
    Jah Shaka
    Konono no1
    and on and on

carlphillips
    Free Member

for me its the bobby Mcgees. but then i like ukulele

song here

Michael-B
    Free Member

Artist called Cornelius album called Fantasma brilliant 90s Japanese electro pop and one song was a lucozade advert

Nicko74 Dick Dale very cool seen him live twice.

MrAgreeable

Roper, having seen the Residents live last year, complete with an old man in a rabbit suit on vocals, I'd say they are still definitely off the wall.

I'm really liking the output of Finders Keepers at the moment – a small record label that reissues bizarre music from all over the world. Their site has an A-Z of records they love and some mixes to download, so it's a good starting point of you want to learn more about drum-heavy 1970s Italo-Hungarian folky progressive horror rock.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Francis Cabrel

I had a Francis Cabrel album while I was cramming for A-level french. It was awe-inspiring pap. Has he moved on into an edgier phase? 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

I am listening to Portisheads alubums again. Some odd music on there. Still very cool must be 10 years old now….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Off the wall music which you like – List it here :’ is closed to new replies.