Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • off-road tour of wales…route recommendations please
  • Mrs.Butcher
    Free Member

Looking at doing a week long tour of Wales in a few weeks, primarily on small lanes, double track and the like. It’d be good to have as much of it as possible car free.

At the moment I’ve plotted the route based on Sustrans paths, but some local knowledge wouldn’t go amiss. We’ll be doing around 100km a day with 7 days available. Thus far the plan is to get a train into Gloucester then head towards the Beacons then on towards Pembrokeshire, up the coast and back via the Shropshire Hills. But we’re pretty flexible if you’ve got a better recommendation.

So, must see sights, good routes, places to bivi, bothies, wild swimming, etc appreciated.

kendonagasaki

I recently completed my own route / version of Sarn Helen.
    I started in Conwy and finished in Neath mainly for ease of transport back home on the train.
    I didn’t complete it in a one week hit due to time allowances, but did take 7 days in all. I reckon you could include all your requirements into that ride and I included sections of Coed-Y-Brenin and Nant yr Arian too, with a ride through Penmachno forest.
    I didn’t bivi, but used B&B and campsites.
    I would have managed less days, but needed to go off course to get to stations after each weekend away.

jonesyboy

I’ve been looking into this bike packing, do you have a route saved kendonagasaki? Plan was to fit in as many trail centres as possible, and bikes shops to blag free coffee 😉 Llandudno to BPW was the plan.

finephilly
    Free Member

The sustrans route 81 from Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury is quite good road/ track riding. for long distance off road, there is the old monks road from strata Florida abbey across the elan valley to rhayader. You could then go north up to Newtown via beacon hill. then into bishops castle from the Kerry ridgeway that links up to the long mynd into Shrewsbury!

nostoc
    Free Member

If you want to go offroad then don’t go to Pembrokeshire and up the coast, Stay inland.

kendonagasaki

jonesyboy – I’ll sort out my tracklogs and mail them to you.
    As I said though, I didn’t take the direct route as I did the whole thing over 3 separate weekends. Just wish I could have spared the time to do it in one go.

jonesyboy

Ace, looking forward to this little adventure.

kendonagasaki

jonesyboy – I seem to be having problems sending the files via the forum messages.
    Send me your email and I’ll send them direct or are they ok to the business one attached to your profile? Technology?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘off-road tour of wales…route recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.