Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • off road surly LHT anyone??
  • ollie151
    Free Member

anyone put flat hndle bars on a surly LHT and used it as a MTB?

how did it handle

pics if poss

cheers

colonelwax
    Free Member

Sorry can’t help, but was looking at the 26″ version in the LBS window and wondered what it’d be like with MTB tyres.

So I guess I’m registering my interest too 😀

jameso

Was hoping to see pics of a ‘tracker’ here – LHT is a tour/road bike just like the ones kids used to put flat bars and go off-road tracking before MTBs were around. It’ll be fine / twitchy / like a flat-bar CX bike mainly )

headfirst
    Free Member

Well I have literally just finished putting new CX tyres on my disc trucker a few minutes ago in anticipation of my participation in the citicross race in Halifax in a couple of week’s time. Drop barred and it’s staying that way, will hopefully get a test ride on gentle single track and farm tracks this weekend before going off for a week’s holiday. Will report back in terms of liveliness and feel.

ollie151
    Free Member

interesting….. i want a versatile bike (MTB/Touring), so maybe the LHT isn’t the one…. ogre?

andyh2
    Free Member

26″ version here;
    http://joecruz.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/surly-long-haul-trucker/

“With riser bars it rides like a late 80?s mountain bike.”

BB is pretty low on the LHT

RustySpanner

Vaya 2 with Apex and BB5’s is £1600!

That’s a £500 rise since it was introduced, and is frankly taking the piss.

You could build a nice Bob Jackson or Ellis Briggs handmade Reynolds framed tourer for that.
    Spa cycles do their lovely and very well reviewed Titanium tourers for much less.
    Edinburgh Bike Coop do theirs for nearly a third of the price, with Reynolds tubes & Discs too.

The price of a Disc Trucker is on the eyebrow raising side of bloody cheeky, but the price of the Vaya really is an insult.

Look at the spec of the Pinnacle Arkose 3 or the Boardman CX bikes and you will see exactly how much profit is being made here.
    And no one will convince me a Taiwanese steel frame is £600 more expensive than a Taiwanese alloy one.

bergig
    Free Member

Good points. I’ve not tried those others, or any other things like it for that matter – except for a selection of old Peugeots!
    I like my trucker though!
    Price – yes, quite a lot now, but mine (2008-9ish, frame/forks only) seems nicely put together and thought out and with tough paint.
    People say that it’s a heavy frame and so on bla bla but with that kind of utility, do-it-all bike you’re going to have things like a rack bolted on a lot of the time anyway… So it’s not a big deal overall at all.
    I find it stable and comfortable off road, surprisingly so on roots and rocks. Maybe it’s the (effectively 29er) wheels, low BB, and fairly long wheelbase. The forks – curved – are very comfortable. I wonder if the disc ones would be as comfortable though?
    Having said that it’s an explorer rather than a racer or a hooligan. With the TT for drops and the lowish BB you need to get cranks in the right place. But you probably make that mistake only once 🙂
    Have not tried it with flat bars, haven’t really felt the need. Would probably be fine with a slightly longer stem. It’s an option though. Drops on a MTB on the other hand…
    As I say, I like mine a lot and can’t really imagine replacing it.

orangeboy
    Free Member

My older non disc lht is my most used bike through the winter
    And the Finnish is very tougher than anything else I’ve had inc some
    High end stuff

The price of everything is going up

irc

No flat bars but my LHT was fine with 700×42 touring tyres over the Corrieyairick Pass. Obviously slower over the washed out sections compared to an MTB with big knobblys but the actual handling was fine and steering stable on gravel. Any issues were tyre issues IMO. I think a 26″ LHT with MTB tyres would handle fine assuming allowance made for low BB etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

One word: hybrid.

If you want a bike to go off road and tour on road an mtb frame is the way to go – so you can get wide enough tyres on for the latter.

I’ve toured mtb frames, works well, nice and stiff and plenty of 1.25 tyres around.

irc

If you want a bike to go off road and tour on road an mtb frame is the way to go – so you can get wide enough tyres on for the latter.

Surly claim the 26″ Trucker takes a 2.1 tyre with mudguards. How wide do you need?

A tourer should have longer chainstays for heel clearance with panniers and a lower BB which makes getting the feet down easier – which is nice with a loaded bike. An rigid MTB works for touring , I own one, but it has flaws for road touring.

BadlyWiredDog

A little bird told me that there’s going to be a LHT racing at Hit The North and it’s going to be FAST!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘off road surly LHT anyone??’ is closed to new replies.