Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Off road on slicks – will I die?
  • binners

This morning I’ve made a fundamental schoolboy error.

I judged that the weather has been so bloody awful that I may as well put slicks on the hardtail and make the commute easier. So I put them on last wek.

Obviously, now I’ve done that, summers arrived*. The suns cracking the flags and its lurverly out. When I’ve got the normal tyres on (Nobby Nics), my default position, under these circumstances, would be the extended 20 mile mostly off-road route home.

Its mostly hardpack and takes in Cragg Quarry. So… would I be absolutely off my napper to attempt this on slicks? Will I end up in A&E with someone shaking their head at me disapprovingly, and pointing out that its this kind of idiocy that costs the NHS millions a year?

Any experiences of such daftness you lot? Feel free to answer on behalf of those that have tried but are sadly no longer with us.

* and I hope you all appreciate it!

Nobby

Me & my mates spent a fair part of our formative years hooning around the woods on racers with slick tyres & cowhorn bars and, as far as I can tell, we’re all still alive.

nbt

I run 28mm Schwalbe Marathons on my CX bike and happily used that on most of the local singletrack, even rode the HTN preview on them. Take a hefty dose of MTFU and get out there 😉

wwaswas

any wet grass will have you over, anything ‘dirt’ will probably be okish…

honeybadgerx

If you do die can I have your stuff?

woody2000

I’ve taken the long way home on my roadrat with 32mm slicks on. Interesting, and not particularly pleasant in places, but I’m still here 🙂

wonnyj
    Free Member

I just rode down three steps on a road bike – you will probably make it

wwaswas

I just rode down three steps on a road bike

Dude! Rad to the power of sick!

😉

HermanShake
    Free Member

It’ll probably be quite fun (or horrific).

Flat out, foot out 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

wet grass is the killer whilst everything else will just have low traction – like riding on ice type conditions

You will be fine but it wont be that much fun

spacemonkey

Have done plenty of off-road miles on Marathons too. Won’t attack anything with a gnar-rad-skillz rating above 4/10 though. Cracking tyre – can’t find any replacements for the exact one I’ve used though.

Also use Big Apples off-road, but once again, only on the fairer stuff.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I did some road riding (on a road bike) on holiday last week and used a national cycle trail that turned into a gravel path, then a field, then a muddy field, then a swamp.

I’m typing this post from the afterlife.

IHN

Stop being such a big fanny and just get on with it.

As my mum used to say.

butcher

I do a bit of off-roading on my commuter with semi slicks. With them pumped up to 60psi your eyeballs are in a different position by the time you reach your destination, and loose rocks are a nightmare, but aside from that it’s plenty capable. You have to be vigilant when it’s wet out.

binners

Thats all very reassuring. What could possibly go wrong?

I shall report back. Unless I don’t. In which case I’m dead

When I said slicks, I’m not bloody joking either

wwaswas

you’ll be wanting some more spokes for that wheel before you set off.

IHN

They’re not slick, they’ve got tread you mincing pansy.

As my mother used to say.

zilog6128

Did exactly the same as you a few weeks ago, also on CityJets as it happens. I went a bit slower than usual, there were a couple of sketchy moments on corners where it was muddy (bone dry everywhere else) and the tyres suddenly had NO traction. Would definitely have lost it if I’d been going at “normal” pace.

binners

As I’m sure you’re all very worried about my welfare, I thought I’d best let you know I ‘m still alive!

The last descent was… Ahem… Interesting. Things are always greatly enlivened by that feeling that the front is about to let go at any second! A good giggle though 🙂

And IHN could you pass on my gratitude to your mother for her kindly words of encouragement, which focused my mind immeasurably during the moments of buttock clenching slidy terror!

tk46hal
    Free Member

I put a pair of 28mm Marathon plus tyres on my 29er hardtail and still ride off road, but not the really heavy wet, muddy stuff! I have a f/susser for that! 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As I’m sure you’re all very worried about my welfare, I thought I’d best let you know I ‘m still alive!

binners

I can understand your dissappointment flashy. You’d obviously got wind that my will bequeathes to you my extensive collection of Toby jugs

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s what keeps me going, binners.

Northwind

Stuff like this just comes down to whether you choose to let the shortcomings spoil your ride, or whether they enhance it. Definately not for everyone!

IHN

And IHN could you pass on my gratitude to your mother for her kindly words of encouragement, which focused my mind immeasurably during the moments of buttock clenching slidy terror!

She says to get your head out of her arse, you brown nosing nonce.

She’s such a sweet old dear

scaredypants

I see dead Binnerses 😥

samuri
    Free Member

Binners tonight (on drugs)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZhG2kWVLY[/video]

Also, taking it a bit gnarly later on (about 45 seconds in)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzkBXsXZIQw[/video]

A large part of my commute is offroad. I do it all year round on fairly smooth tyres, never had a problem yet. Even in deep snow.

Aggressive tyres are overrated for us mortals IMO.

teasel
    Free Member

Stuff like this just comes down to whether you choose to let the shortcomings spoil your ride, or whether they enhance it.

Exactly. It definitely adds confidence once the knobbly-tyred bike is taken out for a spin.

90% of my riding is done on the above bike and accompanying tyres, 30% of which is off-road. I find when it gets really muddy the only way forward is a steady pedal stroke coupled with an almost comical weightshifting performance to keep the bike in an upright postion when cornering.

Keeps you sharp…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Off road on slicks – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.