Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Off road near Chorley
  • jonba
    Free Member

I may be in the area with a mountain bike this weekend and am trying to work out where to ride. About 17 years ago I lived in Farnworth and used to ride there. From memory I had thought about: (names may be out of date!)

Winter hill down towards Belmont then to Darwen.
    Ice cream run
    Dog Kennel run
    Healey Nab
    Rivi pike

What is the current situation. I used to ride with reckless abandon so the Gardens at Rivi were fair game, as was great hill. As it’ll be a saturday I’m guessing probably not the best idea.

I could just ride up an down things but does anybody have a good loop (strava, garmin connect etc.) they could link to for inspiration.

Just a morning probably. For me around 30ish miles. Back in the day I used to do that after riding from Farnworth because I wasn’t old enough to drive.

jonba
    Free Member

bump for the evening crowd

chakaping
    Free Member

What kind of riding are you looking for?

jonba
    Free Member

What I would call XC. So san marino, ice cream run, Healey nab and just getting out on the moors a bit. More interested in some ideas for a loop as I have patchy memories of bits of it but can’t link it together.

gdm4

Hi mate, all of those still good riding. The San Marino is probably the best downhill from the masts on winter hill down towards Belmont (San Marino Restaurant!). All accessible and fair game would just suggest being courteous and respectful of other users and you shouldn’t have a problem. There used to be a website witton weavers.co.uk that had useful maps but I can’t seem to find it anymore.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I used to run the wittonweavers website and stopped a couple of months back as the hosting costs just didn’t seem worth paying. Funnily enough I have just typed in the URL and it came up as not found – and then my PC displayed warnings saying it was a phishing website that tries to get users bank details!! God only knows how that happens as it couldn’t have been more ligit (honest) plus there was absolutely no place where any details could be entered.

Anyway I digress. I would suggest from Chorley – up to Healey Nab, over towards GO Ape at Rivington. Up the hill under the 7 Arch bridge (maybe have a play around Rivvy – ICR etc). Up the ranger path and on to the mast road before dropping down San marino (heavily rutted).

Up Belmont towards Tockholes and then take the route to Darwen Tower via Lyons Den. Descend back to The Royal pub and cross over into Roddlesworth – follow the ressies in an anti clockwise direction round to the Hare & Hounds.

Cross the road – up Dole Lane and head up towards Great Hill off road. Don’t actually bother with the summit (unless you want to as it makes the downhill longer!) follow the trail back down to White Coppice (cracking ride) and then you’re back towards Healey Nab / Chorley.

I can create a GPX route if its something you fancy doing?

jonba
    Free Member

Cheers, but I think I can figure that out and make my own. I had something similar in mind should be enough clues in there to put one together.

gdm4

Shame about the Witton weavers site, it really helped me venture out when I first got back into biking so thanks for your efforts – much appreciated.

cuyahoga
    Free Member

The above was pretty much my route on Saturday – from the bottom of Ice Cream Run, up to the Pike, round to the mast, down San Marino, across to Darwen Tower via Roddlesworth, then past Healey Nab and back through White Coppice. A nice pootle enjoying the glorious weather…

https://www.strava.com/activities/914327570

chakaping
    Free Member

Can’t add much to what’s been said.

Definitely worth popping up to Healey Nab if you’ve not been for 17 years. It must have changed quite a bit!

jonba
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/activities/923652562

Thanks, enjoyed the ride. Sadly accidentally stopped my Garmin on the climb up Winter Hill so lost that bit and the descent.

Will probably be taking my roadie down next time but will hopefully get back down with my mtb later this year.

hybridbikers
    Free Member

I am suggesting you may ride from Chorley – up to Healey Nab, over towards GO Ape at Rivington. And also up the hill under the 7 Arch bridge. Up the ranger path and on to the mast road before dropping down San marino.

cuyahoga
    Free Member

And just happened to bag a couple of Top 10s, I see. Glad you had a good run out.

Cap doffed…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Off road near Chorley’ is closed to new replies.