Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • off road coast to coast bike ideas ht / fs?
  • thomasraelburke
    Free Member

im looking at doing the off road coast to coast next year i think its the tim woodcocks version. and i am looking at buying a new bike for it, but not sure whether a hardtail or full susser would be the best option. who here has done this route and what advice can you give me, thanks in advance…

the-muffin-man

My advice is to buy the bike you will want to use for your everyday riding, not for a one-off expedition!

FWIW – I took my Ti hardtail when I did it 5 years ago, and left my Marin full-suss at home. The Lakes are the hardest part of the trip, and some pushing/carrying is a certainty at some point, everything after the Lakes is pretty straightforward 'XC' riding fair.

tootin

kona abra cadabra looks nice

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Not sure about the tim woodcock route but the traditional off road route means the first day through the Lakes is the most technical.After that its pretty sraight forwards,It can be pretty boggy over the rest of it but I managed it towing a bob trailer a couple of years back. 😉

A light weight 4ins travel bike would be my preference,Giant Anthem X1?

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

it does indeed if not a tad out of my price bracket, i would prob buy second hand and tinker…

cheers muffin man was your hardtail the better choice then, im not sure how technical the downhills are or how epic the climbs are

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

i was looking at the anthem, thanks

blackhat
    Free Member

I've done Woodcock. It's 4/5/6 days in the saddle, half the riding is in the Lakes, and a decent pull over the North York Moors which is worth paying due respect given it's at the end of the route. 4 or 5 inch lightweight full sus would be my suggestion.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘off road coast to coast bike ideas ht / fs?’ is closed to new replies.