Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Off on holiday next week and wondering….
  • TimP
    Free Member

what the “done thing” is in terms of taking your own kit with you? I will be doing a couple of days biking so is it worth taking pads and helmet or just gloves shorts etc? I am heading out to Garmisch in Bavaria so if anyone has been recently and has any advice that would be appreciated too

thanks

mikey74
    Free Member

Take everything you would normally ride with i.e. a helmet, bike clothing, camelbak (or equivalent) etc.

In terms of spares, if everything is in good working order then you probably don’t need any, just for a couple of days, except for the usual inner tubes, puncture rpair kit, pump, shock pump (if required), maybe a spare mech hanger. It also depends on what type of riding you do: If it’s more freeride/downhill based, then obviously body armour is necessary.

Travel insurance is also necessary.

TimP
    Free Member

Was planning on hiring a bike so would they not give you enough to keep you running (ie inner tubes etc)? I guess it is more of a question of what the helmets are like. I am flying wit hvery limited space, so just wondering what is worth leaving out and what is a definite. I only use shin/knee pads as I have several pin scars, not because I will be downhilling

mikey74
    Free Member

Definitely take a helmet (if they are a responsible shop they wont let you hire a bike without one), and if you are hiring a bike, I would almost guarantee that they won’t give you any spares. So inner tubes etc are a must. Things like brake pads shouldn’t be necessary as the ones supplied with it should be in good working order.

Helmet – deifinite
    Pump, inner tubes – definite
    Pads – probably not entirely necessary
    Camelbak with water and tools – Definite

Don’t forget that if something breaks while you are out, you will have to fix it yourself to get you home so take allen keys, multi-tool etc. Don’t rely on the hire shop to kit you out as they almost certainly wont.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Off on holiday next week and wondering….’ is closed to new replies.