Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Off-line maps for Android
  • jon1973
    Free Member

..free if possible 😉

But I don’t mind paying for some OS type quality maps. Currently use Google Maps but looking for something that doesn’t eat my allowance and when in poor signal areas. Used for cycling / walking more than the car.

fisha
    Free Member

he most recent version of google maps on android cached the map locally, so that it can be reviewed when off line.

Try it out. go into airplane mode and try to browse the map, it should still work.

but it only caches what you’ve already looked at …. soooo when your at home, browse around the area you want to go to first, then that way its pre-stored in the phone for when you want to use it.

not sure if it’ll store the satellite images as i only use the street maps stuff …. but worth trying it

Bez

Many will allow you to prepopulate the cache via Mobac (Mobile Atlas Creator), which effectively gives you offline mapping. Some also allow you to do it from the phone itself, but that’s generally pretty hard to do with any sort of precision. Take a look at MyTrails, Mapdroyd etc.

Viewranger is the best raster mapping app around; I’ve written a patch for Mobac to build a cache for it but I just need to write some user instructions and upload it.

The Opencyclemap tiles have contours and generally good coverage of bridleways etc.

Blake

Trek Buddy (free app) + Mobile Atlas creator works for me. OS maps are open source, but google & MS maps are no longer available on atlas creator, unfortunately.

funkynick

The latest version of Mobac does not allow the downloading of OS stylee maps as they got threatened by the OS peeps…

I think you need version 1.7 or 1.8 to be able to download OS maps from Multimap/Streetmap.

Bez.. I’d be interested in being able to add maps to Viewranger…

allthepies
    Free Member

I think you need version 1.7 or 1.8 to be able to download OS maps from Multimap/Streetmap.

Version 1.8 of Mobile Atlas Creator is what you want, google is your friend 😉

I use AlpineQuest with offline maps.

retro83
    Free Member

funkynick – Member

The latest version of Mobac does not allow the downloading of OS stylee maps as they got threatened by the OS peeps…

Damnit. I’ll be keeping my copy of 1.8 then.

clubber
    Free Member

everytrail pro allows map downloads but It’s osm not OS though I’ve found them pretty good.

MrGreedy

Yup, Mobile Atlas Creator 1.8 is what you want. Choose “Multimap UK OS Map” as your source, select the areas you want and create an atlas file in the appropriate format. Transfer the file to your phone, load it into your preferred maps application (Rmaps has worked well for me) and voila, free OS mapping. File sizes can be a bit big (400MB for the 25k map of the Lake District I just made) so make sure there’s plenty of room on your SD card.

headfirst
    Free Member

Backcountry navigator looks promising, had free demo version that ran out before used in anger. Will be buying full version for £7 shortly

Gribs

I personally use a paid for version of MM tracker but the free version is good enough if you just want to look at the maps. To make it work you’ll need Memory Map maps which aren’t that expensive for 1:50k or can be aquired fairly easily.

kevj
    Free Member

As gribs said. MM tracker uses the same qct file as memory map. The file is saved to your SD card and you only require a gps signal and not internet so can be used pretty much anywhere outdoors.

The app itself is very good, accuracy down to 5m or so on my HTC desire hd and the ability to upload a route in gpx format. Honestly can’t fault it.

motivforz
    Free Member

I use the RMaps app with an atlas creator. Need to create the maps using atlas creator on your PC and the move to the phone (SD card), but there are a myriad of formats available for use, including a ‘cycle map’, although OS type and satellite and road maps are the ones i tend to use. No navigation though.

pfrumpy
    Free Member

MM Tracker all the way

Bez

Bez.. I’d be interested in being able to add maps to Viewranger…

Hang in there. I tried to make contact with the developer some time ago but emails haven’t come through via Sourceforge – just found out he’s been trying to get in touch, so I’ll get it fed in to the build proper, rather than putting up a patch.

stuartm555
    Free Member

MM Tracker – can’t fault it

colande
    Free Member

my brother told me about an app called maverick,
    it uses os maps and apparently you can view offline,
    i’ve got it but haven’t used it, might be work a try though,

alanl
    Free Member

As recommended last week, Maverick. £3.95. Get the maps at home connected to your wifi. It takes a while with the small screen.
    The program saves all the maps, then when you are out and about, you can view any map you have already seen when online.
    It is excellent. Gives a large choice of mapping sites, and there is one that does OS maps (possibly Memory Map?).

somouk
    Free Member

MMTracker and the Memory map maps. Solid combination.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Off-line maps for Android’ is closed to new replies.